IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're Dead is the only FlyLo album I've heard, so I can't make any comparisons to his previous work, but what I do know is that this is an absolutely killer record. One of my favourites from 2014.

Also, I recently heard that Ennio Morricone was involved somehow. Is this true?

You're Dead is the only FlyLo album I've heard, so I can't make any comparisons to his previous work, but what I do know is that this is an absolutely killer record. One of my favourites from 2014.

You owe it to yourself to listen to Cosmogramma, which is still future as a mofo.

You owe it to yourself to listen to Cosmogramma, which is still future as a mofo.

I've always said to myself that Cosmogramma will be the next one to check out. It's somewhere on a very long checklist of records that have passed me by over the years!

I always assumed it was Meredith Monk he sampled on Turtles because of the voice and the title (nudge to Turtle Dreams?) but Blank on here corrected me, it was Morricone!

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/304724/Flying-Lotus-Turtles-Ennio-Morricone-Piume-Di-Cristallo/

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't been able to get into this album myself, and I love his previous stuff... I've wondered if it's because I'm starting to get sick of Thundercat and the way FlyLo incorporates him into just about every track these days. Thundercat is talented for sure, but his style can be overly busy sometimes and can seem to crowd up a track that could perhaps use more restraint and minimal approach.

With that said, I'm definitely going to check out this collab project.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad he did that

His albums are sometimes needlessly harsh-sounding

Especially this one

I love me some Lo-fi

But it seems like he goes out of his way to make stuff painful to listen to

I can barely listen to You're Dead before fatigue sets in

It's stuffy and claustrophobic

Like it doesn't breathe properly or something

(Does that make sense to anyone?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well yeah, it's super squashed in parts with all that compression --least dynamic jazz album of all time! I do find that sort of interesting, since it's the opposite of what I normally associate with that genre. But it will be cool to hear it in a more conventional, musical light too.

Well yeah, it's super squashed in parts with all that compression --least dynamic jazz album of all time! I do find that sort of interesting, since it's the opposite of what I normally associate with that genre. But it will be cool to hear it in a more conventional, musical light too.

This got me thinking...

Some of my favorite jazz albums from the 60's

Are actually pretty compressed

(Partly down to recording to tape, but also just the general practice of tracking everything through LA-2A's or whatever to manage levels)

Whereas these days with jazz records there is an OCD-like preoccupation with "naturalism"

(Just as with classical music)

Not to mention live jazz records

(Which are often just bootlegs, released officially)

Where there's often extreme ducking

So when I imagine someone like Elvin Jones in my head

I hear tons of compression

(Not to mention the not-so-occasional clipping during his solos)

Anyways, with FlyLo, it's not the compression pe se that bothers me

It's just that the compression doesn't breathe naturally

It sounds clenched and choked

He should really have someone else mix his records for him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I weren't going through such a long list of discogs and new releases right now I'd listen to YD! again and argue something in its favor. But alas, my musical plate is full at the moment. I do remember it being awesome though. You guys are probably just trippin'.

Guest bitroast

i think my main gripe with it (and this goes for Until the quiet comes) (and of course, this is just my personal preference)

is the lack of cohesiveness in the styles and overall album flow. as much as i really (REALLY) like some of the album, i'm never actually in the mood for listening to the album cos it jumps so heavily from rampant upbeat to chill to ambient to midtempo (etc. etc. etc.) and does so in a really frantic, un-listener friendly kind of way.

u could say cosmogramma is even more extreme, but at least cosmogramma is consistentally extreme, where as you're dead and UTQC is just a whole lot of everything thrown in at once.

i wouldn't try and argue that its a terrible album or anything, i think it's a pretty good album and to anyone on the fence about it, it really comes down to just listening to it and making up your own mind. but for me, it's the pacing! what the hell's going on with the pacing :|

Guest bitroast

also.. i find it pretty lame that people who bought You're dead originally aren't given free copies of this new version of the album, and that it's blocked behind a $10 price tag.

the bleep description even says "Warp do the right thing and bundle the sought-after instrumentals alongside the original incredible album."

Warp do the right thing by charging people who bought the album to cough up more money to buy it again a mere year later ??

*scratches head*

Archived