I think OPN has a stronger concept than he did with R+7. I just find it more enjoyable and accessible than what... post-post-modern furniture music in a virtual environment, or whatever that was?

Not to disparage R+7. Lots of good music, and talented artists involved in the promo of that. Just more excited for GOD...

Got around to hearing the preview tracks on blerp.

This actually sounds good. Does it keep the energy of Mutant Standard throughout most of the album?

somewhat, there are moments that are even more energetic, but they are very short - he jumps from an idea to another very quickly

This actually sounds good. Does it keep the energy of Mutant Standard throughout most of the album?

somewhat, there are moments that are even more energetic, but they are very short - he jumps from an idea to another very quickly

Oh... That's what I was worried about. That's why I don't like r+7 at all.

My ADD is like level 5, R+7 was about level 9318080983908983981

I'll still probably buy the digital when it comes out to give it a chance.

Edited by StephenG

I loved every single second of it, but thats me xD

How so? All the tunes in R+7 were rather straightforward and focused, it's not like it was Warp's Mr Bungle

edit: imo

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

How so? All the tunes in R+7 were rather straightforward and focused, it's not like it was Warp's Mr Bungle

edit: imo

Americans, He She, Inside World, and Zebra are each about... 4-6 songs each? They jump all over the place.

I did like Along and Cryo though

StephenG, on 09 Nov 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

MIXL2, on 09 Nov 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

StephenG, on 09 Nov 2015 - 05:25 AM, said:

haha based on this dunno if GoD is much better

the only thing i can say 2 u steve is what i've said before. don't go into it going "ok so everyone likes OPN but I'm not sold on it". there's a good chance you'll find yourself looking for things to dislike. and even if you don't like it, give it a few listens. it's really weird how r+7 opened up a lot for me on the third or fourth play, it sounded so damn different all of a sudden. i think more than other music, opn is quite concept driven and it helps to be on board with that concept for the music to make a little more sense. some people will argue that it shouldn't matter and the music should be straight up and immediate. that's fair enough, but I think opn is a bit more of a whole 'package' and that's the best way to experience it imo. i guess it's like how the wall or other prog concept albums are a bit more fun once you know what the narrative is.

isn't this exactly the opposite of what opn said in that interview lol

Guest cult fiction

Hey can we make this thread about something other than trying to convince Stephen that OPN is good? He'll come around on his own time or not, I think we'll all survive somehow.

Seeing him in Seattle on the 24th, really curious what the vibe of the show is going to be like. It could be a kaoss edge party or it could be a drone-y head nodder, either sounds good right now.

Look slike he just played in London anybody catch it?

Americans, He She, Inside World, and Zebra are each about... 4-6 songs each? They jump all over the place.

I did like Along and Cryo though

Have you heard much of 'older gen' OPN, the Rifts comp might be more your thing - http://www.discogs.com/Oneohtrix-Point-Never-Rifts/release/4084811

You can get it on (3x)CD at a great price directly from the man: http://www.mexicansummer.com/shop/oneohtrix-point-never-rifts/

Agree with cult fiction here. People were recommending Rifts to Stephen all the way back in the beginning of September, in this very thread. And then a few days ago he made it clear that he still doesn't like OPN. So at this point I'd say he's got a pretty good overview of what OPN is about. If not, it's his own fault. Seems to me he's already settled on an opinion, so...

*ducks*

Edited by Friendly Foil

Just in case anyone is interested, the Japanese release is in a few hours.

You can get 16bit and 24bit editions below if you haven't already ordered from Warp.

http://ototoy.jp/top/

They always have the new Warp stuff. I've ordered from them a few times now - Syro, Reachy Prints.

I just keep trying because I respect most of your opinions and find it odd that it could come so highly recommended but me not "get it", so I figure I'm defective somehow.

That's why I keep trying lol.

Going to buy Rifts later today as everyone seems to recommend that one.

Edited by StephenG

Hey can we make this thread about something other than trying to convince Stephen that OPN is good? He'll come around on his own time or not, I think we'll all survive somehow.

Seeing him in Seattle on the 24th, really curious what the vibe of the show is going to be like. It could be a kaoss edge party or it could be a drone-y head nodder, either sounds good right now.

Looks like he just played in London anybody catch it?

Caught the London show, just over an hour of mostly new stuff, sounded absolutely fantastic on a big system! Crazy visuals to go with it. He did an encore of Music for Steamed Rocks. He's developed a crazy vocal processing thing that turns his voice into an insane pitch-shifted mess (a lot of what features on the album, but tastefully blended with everything else).

You're in for a treat! Sadly there was no merch at the show but definitely picking this up on Friday

Is it possible to buy from ototoy yet? - just used the automatic language translation in Chrome and it seems to say 'In Japan Only' or 'In Preparation' which I'm guessing is a badly translated 'coming soon'

I just keep trying because I respect most of your opinions and find it odd that it could come so highly recommended but me not "get it", so I figure I'm defective somehow.

That's why I keep trying lol.

Going to buy Rifts later today as everyone seems to recommend that one.

foil raised a good point though you're sort of just trolling us at this point!

No not at all. I'm legitimately trying to enjoy it.

It took me about 5 years to get into Autechre too so there's that.

Eventually, usually, an artist just clicks with me and I get it. Sometimes it takes a specific album and then I'm able to go into their back catalogue and it makes sense.

Surely I'm not the only person this happens to?

Why would I waste my effort in some elaborate "stephen doesn't like OPN" troll lol? craziness

Guest bitroast

Surely I'm not the only person this happens to?

no but you're the only one who constantly posts in the threads of things other people are enjoying / you are not enjoying with the same ' i dunno guys, i dont think this one is doing anything for me. ' posts over and over again.