no booklet,with my vinyl,just two stickers(silver and yellow) and download card plus a code for some rustie stuff,man..that guitar at the beginning and end of ezra really reminds me of a dj shadow track,faves at the mo are ezra,mutant standard,and everything after that,it gets better the longer it goes on,awesome album

No booklet with the vinyl is a real bummer, it looked so good and I really wanted to read the lyrics.
They could have put a little CD booklet with the vinyl edition.

Need a few runs through this. Wasn't really too keen on the first play, but that can be a good thing. Not that I didn't enjoy it, just it seemed very incoherent and a bit scatterbrain. Which is probably how its supposed to sound lol.

Edited by beerwolf

Guest Enter a new display name

The album is alright overall. Nothing really stands out except maybe for Mutant Standard and Freaky Eyes. OPN is one of those artists who get so much hype on WATMM for no reason (like post-Body Riddle Clark, the whole juke scene, etc.). I really respect OPN for Rifts and Returnal, but what he produced afterwards is lackluster. Replica had such poor sampling and R+7 was randomly structured. I have the feeling that everyone who is so crazy about him have never listened to avant-garde music before or simply like him because he is signed to Warp.

The album is alright overall. Nothing really stands out except maybe for Mutant Standard and Freaky Eyes. OPN is one of those artists who get so much hype on WATMM for no reason (like post-Body Riddle Clark, the whole juke scene, etc.). I really respect OPN for Rifts and Returnal, but what he produced afterwards is lackluster. Replica had such poor sampling and R+7 was randomly structured. I have the feeling that everyone who is so crazy about him have never listened to avant-garde music before or simply like him because he is signed to Warp.

What do you consider avant garde? I think he pulls this sound off amazingly. I think the textures he uses are fantastic and I love his melodies. I think GOD is a really pretty record overall.

Loving the album.

After listening to Sticky Drama, I have a hunch that 0PN is pretty familiar with that Autechre track that usually pops up around 13-17 minutes from their live sets.

Mutant Standard is super cool too, loving the trance vibes

damn your gf rules

she does :)

gig was pretty cool, like lawrenke said... soundwise it was a mixed bag unfortunately, some tracks were great on the system, some had severe spectrum troubles - too much high frequencies, weak bass.. this varied a lot between tracks. but cool, cool.

Did he play like versions of his tracks or where some of them basically the same as off the album?

hmm the abtract stuff from GOD, interludes if you will, were more extended.

probably some segments in some songs were different or re-ordered as well.

but I can't tell for sure because I'm not that familiar with the details of the album yet.

also those sound issues made certain tracks just sound completely different... e.g. sticky drama sounded rather terrible tbh, the bass was non-existant where I was standing at least.

all in all there wasn't much "surprise" in the set, but it was very much a loud and in your face crazy high-frequency meltdown with lots of strobe lighting. Dan once asked the mixing desk to shut off the strobes because they were malfunctioning (I understood that as triggering wayyy too often, but it was fun)

Did he have any merch at the show?

You respect him for Rifts but think people that like his later stuff have never listened to avant-garde music?

wat

I have the feeling that everyone who is so crazy about him have never listened to avant-garde music before or simply like him because he is signed to Warp.

Why is "people liking what I don't like" such a hard concept to grasp for some? Why try to rationalize it with bullshit elitism? Come on

that statement doesn't even make sense, i wouldn't characterize his music as avant-garde. Its weird pop music, especially G.O.D. His older stuff was extremely derivative of 70s Synth pioneers like Tangerine Dream, so you could logically make the argument that a lot of his popularity was based around an entire generation of people not being exposed to stuff like TD, that OPN's early music sounded very fresh to them because they didn't hear much else like it, or that it felt vaguely 'nostalgic' without the same context people who grew up in the 70s or 80s had (which arguably is what Vaporewave is based on, a sense of misplaced and idealized nostalgia portrayed by people who did not grow up in those eras) .

i think what's happening is that you are over emphasizing people who are characterizing his stuff as ground breaking or 'handing music a set of new parameters'. If i heard that shit before hearing his music I'd probably be more jaded towards it, luckily I wasn't bombarded with music journalism hype too much before checking out his music. I could sort of understand the reaction though, its like finally hearing Flaming Lips or Animal Collective after reading about how 'avant-garde' they are, hugely disappointing and makes you lose faith in all humanity

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest cult fiction

its like finally hearing Flaming Lips or Animal Collective after reading about how 'avant-garde' they are, hugely disappointing and makes you lose faith in all humanity

Most John Ehrlichman post ever????

Can't wait to listen to this again, might try to track down a vinyl version this weekend. It's one of the best things I've heard in a while.

I love the idea of idm fans not liking this because it's too weird or abstract :P

Edited by modey