IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

I'd love to see a new developer come in an try to refresh the tracker space. I think the M8 tracker is pretty innovative but it's tied to a specific control scheme and hardware architecture. I think theres a lot of cool things that could be done. Radium tracker looks interesting, not sure if thats what I mean though

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally realized what makes Edge's internal sequencer sound like it does - there's a legato in all the notes. I now can get arbitrary-length patterns (polymeter yay) and have it sound like it does with the internal sequencer, but with MIDI. Joy.

I also got my Dreadbox Nyx v2 finally updated, which wasn't as easy as I thought, because I had an early unit (serial number under 170) without a working bootloader; I had to get an ST-Link microcontroller programmer, erase the chip and install the bootloader, and only then I got to the point where I could do the actual firmware upgrade. That was exciting, but in the end, easier than I thought; I never thought I'd had to do things like that to desktop synths, although I'm aware that some eurorack modules, especially DIY ones, do things that way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, o00o said:

just bought this guy for 600 on ebay. any recommendations where to start with tutorials?  I have never used it before but all my friends have one. 

Elektron Analog Rytm

Cuckoo's tutorials are often a good start if you've never used Elektron gear before. The rytm is a great bit of kit but it's approach to sample management / kits / projects / patterns etc. takes some getting used to.

Definitely worth updating it to version 1.70 before getting started as well, there's been a lot of improvements since it came out and the new firmware from 2 days ago has an interesting Euclidean sequencer option amongst other things.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

Cuckoo's tutorials are often a good start

thanks I totally forgot that he did tutorials on this one as well. 

Edited by o00o

29 minutes ago, o00o said:

just bought this guy for 600 on ebay. any recommendations where to start with tutorials?  I have never used it before but all my friends have one. 

Elektron Analog Rytm

great investment of money, now you've just gotta invest the time in learning it 🙂 great machine tho, best drum machine out there as far as i'm concerned.

i know i watched these and referenced them a few times in trying to understand the strange structure of how you have to save/load/etc. for all the various components:

and Cenk running through the Rytm on SonicState is good for getting a feel of the true depth that i don't think Cuckoo much touched on.

official Elektron channel videos are okay but they can be a bit obtuse.

manual is needed for sure.

hit me up if you ever get lost and can't figure something out...i'm no pro but i've been using it for a lot of years at this point.

Edited by auxien
forgot Cenk vid link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

hit me up if you ever get lost and can't figure something out...i'm no pro but i've been using it for a lot of years at this point.

thanks a lot. these videos are also very helpful 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:14 PM, auxien said:

nymphes-sideL.jpg

going for that vaporwave crowd

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/nymphes/

little bit of sounds so far are good....heard mostly good out of Dreadbox in the past, but this one, particularly at that price, could be really interesting.

~2 years later, i just nabbed one of these from the Dreadbox site, they've got them for pretty damned cheap (pending potential unknown import taxes?!?! taking a chance with that, who knows...). loved near everything i've heard out of this and it looks like a cute counterpoint to my MegaFM

239062.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1252b8891a10e

20 minutes ago, auxien said:

~2 years later, i just nabbed one of these from the Dreadbox site, they've got them for pretty damned cheap (pending potential unknown import taxes?!?! taking a chance with that, who knows...). loved near everything i've heard out of this and it looks like a cute counterpoint to my MegaFM

239062.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1252b8891a10e

Curious to know how you get on with the Nymphes. I got a Typhon back in July but I’ve barely had time to use it (sounds great, though!). I kind of tossed a coin to choose which one to get. 

48 minutes ago, baph said:

Curious to know how you get on with the Nymphes. I got a Typhon back in July but I’ve barely had time to use it (sounds great, though!). I kind of tossed a coin to choose which one to get. 

will have to check in after i spend some time with it! the Typhon sounds great too, i listened to the limited edition patch bank which had some cool weirdness to it, but all the Dreadbox base sounds are great (spent some time looking into the Hades & Erebus too, really lovely sounds from the oscs/filters). share some sounds when you do get some time with it!

Nymphes tends towards the kind of vibier/happier/nostalgic stuff which should work well for me as some contrast to a lot of the FM & digital stuff i have right now...but can still surely do some darker tones. lends itself well to processing and fitting in a mix which i've learned is very important for my music. and the hands on controls of a lot of the basics are also a key thing for me with hardware. still scared about the weird modulation/no-screen approach, but it shouldn't be anything i can't manage.

• Like 1

Dreadbox synths are great, I got the Typhon first, then Nymphes, then Erebus and Hades reissues, and now I also have Erebus v3, Nyx v2, and OG Hades. Nyx v2 and Erebus v3 are the best. Nymphes is the only poly (although Nyx v2 and the Erebuses are duo/para), but I've been lusting after a second-hand Abyss - there's been some talk of a new Abyss version with eight-voice polyphony, but I wouldn't count on it. I wish I could get a pre-built Dysmetria, it's a bit too challenging as a DIY for me.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

My only recent sale/GAS stuff has been upgrading fabfilter Pro R to the new R2 and getting a pair of Slate VSX (gamechanger). I realized over the past year that Pro R was my favorite software reverb because it's so simple/quick to dial in and does basically everything I want and sounds how I want. R2 adds ducking/gating and adds a vintage and plate mode and improved UI so upgrading was a no-brainer.

Slate VSX is was almost an act of desperation after years of failing to afford the space for a properly treated studio room, did some research and found out that it's pretty much one of the best options, and pretty affordable too.

Other than that, I sold a synth! And I'm trying to sell another one. I could upgrade bitwig to v5 but it doesn't have any features I care about compared to 4, so I'm continuing to hold out on that.

My GAS has mostly switched to learning aquisition syndrome. Really diving deep into bitwig and holy fuck is it more fluid and powerful that I realized in the realm of audio editing once you learn all the shortcuts and modifiers to move around quickly.

EDIT: oh yeah I also bought a copy of rolling sampler https://www.birdsthings.com/ pretty recently which is awesome for recording noodlings or things from youtube, drag and dropping them into your projects so you can further manipulate it etc.

Edited by Bubba69
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bubba69 said:

My only recent sale/GAS stuff has been upgrading fabfilter Pro R to the new R2 and getting a pair of Slate VSX (gamechanger). I realized over the past year that Pro R was my favorite software reverb because it's so simple/quick to dial in and does basically everything I want and sounds how I want. R2 adds ducking/gating and adds a vintage and plate mode and improved UI so upgrading was a no-brainer.

This sounds awesome. Fabfilter's Pro Q3 is the only one I have from them, but it is by far my most used plugin. Love their UI and all the great features, so helpful for figuring out the fundamental frequencies of drum samples. I remember checking out a tutorial of the Pro R many years ago and seeing how you could cut or boost the reverb decay based on frequency very easily, and it looked really unique and useful. About to go check out R2 prices, hoping there is some kinda black Friday deal, thanks for the heads up!

There's a deal right now for sure, and their plugs become cheaper when you buy bundles or are an existing customer you get further discount offers on other plugins. The cool thing about fabfilter's pro r (and pro r 2) is that you can draw the EQ curve of the decaying delay lines, something most other reverbs would hide within their algos/controls. In a way it lets you do the abbey road technique directly in the interface, or do something more complex like notch out a bunch of frequencies. You can also apply a curve to the wet signal, which saves time with your routing/bussing you'd have to do in your daw to do the same thing.

• Like 1

Looks interesting for sure, especially since it can do polyphonic melodic playback. But the punch-in effects seem to be one of the main selling points and I don't really care for those. Not sure if the Sonicware Smpltrek wouldn't be nicer for me. Lots of nice samplers coming out suddenly, I remember not too long ago a Korg Microsampler was basically the only option if you wanted melodic sampling (in hardware)..

Edited by th555

On 11/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, baph said:

Curious to know how you get on with the Nymphes.

first jam, just fuckin around basically, trying to learn the interface in a 'live' manipulation setting...sequencing via Hapax, Nymphes > Quadraverb. even going off expectations can sound pretty good on it, it's got a lot of sweet spot to it.

first impressions are that the oscillators and filter are both solid and pretty versatile, should provide some real depth once i've spent more than an hour with it lol...really enjoying the sounds of it when at in-between transitory places...i think maybe there's some of that analog magic comes in. the subtlety is where it's going to differentiate itself from my current stuff. i can tell already there's a lot of effort put into the base sounds of this little synth. and it is little...pretty wild how much power is in it.

• Like 3

Do any of you have experience with the Doepfer Dark Link? I bought one to convert MIDI to CV for my MS-20 mini.. For slides, microtonal shanaenigans and velocity.. and a digital LFO from the Midihub.. I removed the jumper which is needed to convert to S-Trig according to the manual but it is not working as intended :mu-ziq: It says I should reverse the trigger polarity too with a CC signal which should work but it's still acting all weird.. The board says it's a V2, maybe I have to put the jumper back on and reverse the polarity? This is currently doing my head in

On 12/7/2023 at 6:06 PM, chronical said:

Do any of you have experience with the Doepfer Dark Link? I bought one to convert MIDI to CV for my MS-20 mini.. For slides, microtonal shanaenigans and velocity.. and a digital LFO from the Midihub.. I removed the jumper which is needed to convert to S-Trig according to the manual but it is not working as intended :mu-ziq: It says I should reverse the trigger polarity too with a CC signal which should work but it's still acting all weird.. The board says it's a V2, maybe I have to put the jumper back on and reverse the polarity? This is currently doing my head in

I just figured it out.. big brainfart.. was sending CCs to config instead of PGM Change.. I'm such an idiot.. but it works now! more expressive MS-20 to the MAX!! :yeah:I'm so excited

So gasing for a Digitone but turning it to Anti-Gas when I can buy Ableton Live Standard now for a cheaper price under December and get the Operator there and a bit more workspace. 

Maybe someone know a brutal FM-vst for a cheap price?