IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Just want to say t1a1 deserves more love, each thump is unique. It's a vastly improved TBM2,

woah woah woah waoh, TMB2 happens to be one of the most killer tracks on elseq, that is like *the* chillout track of that album, dim the lights slow smoke hovering in the air, your eyes sink back in your head, wafts of the most amazing perfume, gorgeous women with full thick breasts, rainy city lights at night blurring in slo-mo along the lake…

also TBM2 has such insane visual 3d sonics, it's like i experience that track like an axis in my head when i close my eyes, it knocks so hard. ugh. it's pure sex. maybe the sexiest, sweatiest track they've ever done.

t1a1 is pretty sweet too, and i'm not talking trash about it by anymeans, but calling it an improved TBM2,… well, not to my ears :music:

Hmm. I'll have to try again. Kind of found TBM2 to just be a little oddity, just like a loop that doesn't really develop or go anywhere?

I was sure there was something I was missing. Maybe I am the problem?

Oh it's not a loop, there are many many subtle changes and and swirly background drones and grooves.

I will assume the position and listen with new ears.

I'm hoping for Rob and Sean to finally start spitting rhymes, two hours of freestyle rap over top 40 loops.

I want the most complex and mind blowing 2 hours of my pitiful life, culminating in a sonic barrage so savage that it transcends the 128kbps stereo stream and becomes all encompassing / engrossing / challenging / stimulating at once.

I want to feel used, exhausted, petrified, penetrated and enlightened.

I am raedy.

north spiral:

schlangenbeschwoerer-kostuem--mw-131315-

______

not hoping for anything in particular... hm then again something like an extended second half of fleure would be cool, just formless wobbles n wooshes n shit. yeah.

Bqbqbq

Qb qb qb

Qbert qbert qbert ?

Nothing more ae idm than an ai playing qbert discovering an undiscovered glitch about how to make millions without playing the ggame properly:

whats the story with nts?

quite a rare thing for s&r to have a third party in the title for what is shaping up to be a major release of theirs, no?

true. but that was them taking part in a by then already legendary series. kinda different this time,

was wondering what made them choose nts?

...re mcbpete that was...

Yeah it could well be the Aphex link with NTS last year (which I totally forgot was them) - Maybe Warp and NTS have recently made ties promotionally (is that a word?!) ?

quite a rare thing for s&r to have a third party in the title for what is shaping up to be a major release of theirs, no?

I'm inclined to believe that some degree of bankrolling is involved here. It's such an extravagant physical release, even for Autechre. Sets are clearly being produced to order, but there's no reason this material couldn't have been pumped out as a straightforward Warp release... perhaps NTS has some sort of stake in it?

how is it thursday aGAIN

i cant WAIT for 4pm, but at the same time i got really sad because somebody from earlier pages implanted the idea that it might be noodlings around the same tracks, not completely new material, and that upset me bcoz im rly impressionable

still cant wait though, 3 seconds into the broadcast and we will find out

somebody from earlier pages implanted the idea that it might be noodlings around the same tracks, not completely new material, and that upset me bcoz im rly impressionable

nah, that's absurd imo. why would they hold back tracklists for the other volumes then and release only the current one. if this'd turn out to be true it'd be legendary trolling really.

I'm inclined to believe that some degree of bankrolling is involved here. It's such an extravagant physical release, even for Autechre. Sets are clearly being produced to order, but there's no reason this material couldn't have been pumped out as a straightforward Warp release... perhaps NTS has some sort of stake in it?

I miss the ability to "like" posts. 

@Joyrex?

*upvots*

*donvot*

Edited by Gocab

tbh i'm wondering why there isn't more arguing about what of this is actually live or something lol.

Well the last track definitely isn't unless they're insanely talented in performing at bi-directional sample-accurate timing (which, actually I wouldn't put it past them !)

Yeah, when modey posted that waveform (it always comes down to examining the waveforms doesn't it?) that pretty much sealed that this wasn't actually really live...there may be some aspects of it that are live, but it wouldn't surprise me if now if this was 100% prerecorded and designed to fit exactly to the 1:59:00-2:01:00 format or whatever leeway they were given with the time. Will be curious to hear them talk about it at some point soon (with huge new release of music and live dates coming up, we're guaranteed something).

That's not true.  They could have performed both halves in parallel, chosen a "doubling point", then flipped the stereo sides and replayed them in reverse (right?)

You are technically correct (the best kind of correct!), but I seriously doubt it nonetheless. It wouldn't be easy but if anyone could do it, it'd be AE.

More generally, I could easily see them having some 'programmed' parts and some moments of intro/outro/etc. that are manipulated on the fly, or with some elements of tracks open to be changed (32a_reflected isn't exactly the same backwards and forwards, of course, just seems to be built around the reversed-by-channel waveform). 

oh yeah, the meandering thing. well fact is autechere always was about meandering, as in: meditating on a theme / mood and exploring different angles of it. most tracks they ever done consist of "only" 2 or 3 distinctive parts plus transitions, not like they used to compose operas or something (closest would be untilted, i guess). atm they just allow themselves to do it longer and more extensively, obviously enjoying less restraint from (physical) media.

can't even fathom the complexity of their current setup (or any other for that matter), so dunno. but yeah with max basically being a turing complete programming language the possibilites might indeed be pretty much limitless.

well apart from the equipment exhaustion thing i do think there was quite some "formwille" involved on sidesteps like oversteps (no pun intended, actually). at that point in time that was probably the ballsiest thing they could've done. that was one adventurous album. i also hardly listen to it nowadays, lol, kinda case in point. (it's a cool and accomplished album no doubt, i just hardly find myself in the mood for it).

fluency... hm ya, session 1 sounds quite "effortless", in a good way.

Hi Jader, just to nitpick a bit, I want to push back on the composition vs meditation on a theme thingy. Looking at their past interviews, I would argue that the boyz are in total control. In the prehistoric Confield era they mentioned that all sounds were intentional ie composed.  Not sure if these days their approach is very much different and they have fully unleashed their Maxes to perform generative magic totally on their own. I think that what we are hearing is composed! 

Secondly, my take on Sesh1 is the following. Fuckin' hell they've done it again! It's true that their music is not as groundbreaking as before & it seems that we've heard all these sounds before (elseq, AE_LIVE), but the level of sound manipulation is top notch. Nothing really comes close. These little manipulations of melody on North Spiral, when each bar differs is great. What I miss in general are heavy hitting moments (like Irlite or gorgeous oversteppish melodies). Of course, there are hooks here and there, but overall, I think that the NTS is even more autistic/internal than their older stuff. Music seems supercelebral. It requires attention and focus on the process and lacks the immediate short bursts  bliss (Altibzz anyone?). Alco mentiioned jazz as a reference and I agree. This is just not the Kind of Blue jazz, but more like On the Corner thingy! I'm sure it will grow on us. Just give it a bit more time and let it sink in. 

Now waiting for the second part! 

Autism intensifies!