IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

bqbqbq is awesome

Man that could have gone somewhere but like so many of these...it didn't. The changes are very subtle but too much is just long with no real development.

You're doing it wrong, Autechre's music isn't "going anywhere" anymore. It's gotten where it wants to go and is now chilling out some. bocbocboc is a highlight tho, really soothing after a couple of listens. Has potential to open up further down the road, I wanna find more patterns in cute bleepy droplets while bathing in warm pads

I haven't posted in a while, but I gotta say some of these recent posts/memes are gold. I love WATMM

Also this first release is killer. "carefree counter dronal" is gorgeous and then "north spiral" comes in hot like sonic, ear candy. Can't get enough, need moar

I picked the wrong year to downgrade my paycheck for  a life of freer time, less dicky bosses and longer term prospects..   €€€€

so no vinyl but I'll get the wavs at some point and regret all this in about 5 years time- thats the Ae way

it never fails -- ae releases extremely amazing new shit and the nay-sayers just complain about how it isn't as good as their earlier stuff. i got into them around chiastic slide era and this was in full effect back then with people waxing nostalgic for the good old amber days when they did "real music" or whatever. and probably since confield these conservative reactions have relied upon the misconception that all the brothers are doing is just pressing a bang object on max and not doing real music which involves "editing" or something. 

can't wait for tomorrow...gonna be literally handing new parameters to lushness.

all this bitching and I can't believe nobody has noticed that 32a_reflected is a palindrome yet (left channel is reversed version of right).

QRINUph.png

fuqq

haha this rules

yes. Sess One just sinking in, but in 24hours the context of it will shift quite a bit. Things couldn’t be much lusher tbqfh.

bqbqbq is awesome

Man that could have gone somewhere but like so many of these...it didn't. The changes are very subtle but too much is just long with no real development.

You're doing it wrong, Autechre's music isn't "going anywhere" anymore. It's gotten where it wants to go and is now chilling out some. bocbocboc is a highlight tho, really soothing after a couple of listens. Has potential to open up further down the road, I wanna find more patterns in cute bleepy droplets while bathing in warm pads

this is exactly what i thought/said since elseq , they reached their "singularity" with their current setup, still i miss some sort of a concept like a weird minisite or interesting artworks whatever just something that surrounds the music.

let's say that I'm a novelist, and that I invented an absurdly complicated word processing program, and then used that program to write a few long, rambling first-draft novels that didn't break any new ground ... would it matter how complicated my word processing program was?  I don't care if Rob and Sean are literally creating a new programming language from scratch, the music is all that matters

Have you a sequencer/synth before? Like the kind you can (somewhat) tweak in real time? There's stuff you naturally gravitate toward doing based on the interface. Basically you have a feedback loop between you and the machine - action, result, response. You're constantly observing/listening (unless you are really taking the piss and just randomly deaf-tweaking) and adjusting. The problem is that basically all these systems are deeply flawed - they lead you in one direction or another, and there's always some friction involved in getting them to do what you want, or at least to get the workflow you want. In order to sell at scale and turn a profit, the tools have to be fairly general-purpose, which means you have to configure them for your tastes and needs, and they almost always still come up at least somewhat short. You've got your Elektrons at one end of the spectrum which are intuitive and great fun but limited and fixed architecture, and your DAWs at the other which can do just about anything but in order to get there you have to jump through hoops of stopping the sequencer, mouse clicking, copy+pasting, browsing libraries of samples/plugins, etc. The way I see it, they have learned from those limitations, and then thrown them in the garbage and created something that gives them the best of all worlds - control, capability, a tight feedback loop, and reconfigurability. 

With this novel-writing program you're talking about you wouldn't necessarily even have to read the resultant novel, if I'm understanding your analogy correctly. Although this could be interesting if you were able to set up models for each character, plot line, etc. and see what it spits out - it just doesn't seem to me like prose lends itself to this sort of feedback loop. Even the act of reading it seems to interrupt that flow. Maybe it would work, though. I would definitely read such a novel (or at least a short story) out of curiosity. Also "algorithmic composition" has certainly been used in novel writing before - see Burroughs and the cut-up method.

It's not the complexity of their system that's interesting to me, it's that they created it based on their own tastes and needs instead of resigning themselves to the bullshit the off-the-shelf market has to offer. That is coming through in the music to me, this sense of freedom and ownership. That said, it is quite possible that I am projecting my own assumptions onto it, or even that they are trolling us.

(inb4 "yeah but now I are a saesoned ae fan I just know man")

troofans know the aeffect and won't whinge "it's not the saaame" until it's simmered for a few weeks/months.

Well said.  If you're using a 303 it's going to sound like a 303, both when it comes to the textures and the sequencing capabilities.  Max/MSP removes that limitation entirely because you can literally manipulate any sound you want.  Want to take a sample and turn it into a patch?  Go ahead.  Stick it into a granular synthesis engine and put an envelope around it and some filters.  There.  You've just created a totally unique sound that is merely being manipulated and replayed by Max/MSP and surely doesn't have a "Max/MSP" sound whatever that means

Anyone who says that Autechre's recent output is "just how Max/MSP sounds" and is just a result of Max/MSP is fooling themselves - go try to make something in it that sounds anything even remotely like AE, I dare you.  Have fun starting with just a square wave oscillator.  It's going to take you a while to not even get close, because the primary appeal of their recent output is the subtlety of control they have

Edited by Zeffolia

lol

lol

l3ctrlol

That above cat conversation reminds me of computer game discussions. Game is shite... but it had bewbs

Edited by Guest

btw where did all the autechre soundalikes go? how many albums ago did they stop bothering?

pretty sure my earbuds arent doing this justice

debris funk is current fav

some of the distortion really reminds me of sqpshrs last album

Edited by bendish

just throwing this out there: even though i think ae have developed an incredibly advanced and sophisticated system for music making i still think there are things about what they're doing that can be traced back through the earliest records. imo, just speculating here, but a lot of the feedback/karplus sounds that are all over their present sound are very reminiscent of the rsd-10 stuff they did, especially on certain live recordings and tracks like rsdio. as a nord modular user i also still hear plenty of stuff that either must be a nord or is directly learned from the nord synths which i know they have been using since they first came out. there are sounds on the new material that really trigger ep7/lp5 era synth stuff some of which is very nord-y to my ears. 

i have no real point here other than to say that as highly evolved this stuff is i really appreciate that it still sounds so much like ae. it really has so many signature aspects that one can trace or semi-trace back through the earliest stuff. i remember getting draft, dropping the needle, hearing that first kick sound and just thinking "fuck yea, this is so ae." i still feel the same way about this music which imo really says a lot about the consistency of their vision.

I hear Garbagemx36 in gonk steady one.

Ae once again deliver something versatile and interesting, to say the least. Unlike RDJ.

Edited by Guest

just throwing this out there: even though i think ae have developed an incredibly advanced and sophisticated system for music making i still think there are things about what they're doing that can be traced back through the earliest records. imo, just speculating here, but a lot of the feedback/karplus sounds that are all over their present sound are very reminiscent of the rsd-10 stuff they did, especially on certain live recordings and tracks like rsdio. as a nord modular user i also still hear plenty of stuff that either must be a nord or is directly learned from the nord synths which i know they have been using since they first came out. there are sounds on the new material that really trigger ep7/lp5 era synth stuff some of which is very nord-y to my ears. 

i have no real point here other than to say that as highly evolved this stuff is i really appreciate that it still sounds so much like ae. it really has so many signature aspects that one can trace or semi-trace back through the earliest stuff. i remember getting draft, dropping the needle, hearing that first kick sound and just thinking "fuck yea, this is so ae." i still feel the same way about this music which imo really says a lot about the consistency of their vision.

Yeah I guess everybody understood that they've been lazily pressing the same Max/MSP button generating the same noise for the past 20 years now, if that's what you call "consistency of vision" !

:dadjoke:

this is exactly what i thought/said since elseq , they reached their "singularity" with their current setup...

considering they themselves have said the exact opposite, I will take their word for it.

Got into Autechre around 2002 and it opened up my mind to whole new possibilities as to how music could sound. I stopped worshipping every new release after Oversteps. That was really the last proper album that did it for me. So I agree with some of the people that miss their more focused and less jammy days. Their sound palette can sound pretty samey for the past 5 years. I still liked Exai a lot and about half of the tracks on elseq. The AE Live tour was not for me at all this time. The super metallic stuff is very harsh on the ears, maybe I'm getting old. 

That said, I still fucking love Ae and even though it doesn't blow my mind like it used to, like others have said their music is still better than almost anything out there for me. While it's not my favorite stuff, I like most of NTS 1, am having fun exploring it, and am fucking thrilled there's 6 more hours to go. Even as my tastes change as I get older these guys will always be my favorite.

this is exactly what i thought/said since elseq , they reached their "singularity" with their current setup...

considering they themselves have said the exact opposite, I will take their word for it.

argh still thinking too much in german when i write in english : (

Edited by Kavinsky

Got into Autechre around 2002 and it opened up my mind to whole new possibilities as to how music could sound. I stopped worshipping every new release after Oversteps. That was really the last proper album that did it for me. So I agree with some of the people that miss their more focused and less jammy days. Their sound palette can sound pretty samey for the past 5 years. I still liked Exai a lot and about half of the tracks on elseq. The AE Live tour was not for me at all this time. The super metallic stuff is very harsh on the ears, maybe I'm getting old. 

That said, I still fucking love Ae and even though it doesn't blow my mind like it used to, like others have said their music is still better than almost anything out there for me. While it's not my favorite stuff, I like most of NTS 1, am having fun exploring it, and am fucking thrilled there's 6 more hours to go. Even as my tastes change as I get older these guys will always be my favorite.

lol, you're 35

so old

There's some great tracks on NTS01 but north spiral isn't one of them. thin, brittle sounding, flat, harsh digital clipping... I've given it a few listens all the way thru but I just can't get into it. The sonics are so bad.

So to say something sounds like Max/MSP is analogous to saying a game plays like it was written in C++, or that a film script appears like it was written in Final Draft. Max can create and manipulate sounds (and data), but it doesn’t have a sound.

That it is max/msp does not make it inherently good/interesting/noteworthy. That, I agree with, but I'm not sure who's arguing against that here.

I think what you're saying is that they're just noodling around on max/msp instead of writing music proper. But then, I'm not really sure what max/msp has to do with that. If they were noodling around on elektron gear or max/msp or a banjo doesn't really make a difference.

Anyone who says that Autechre's recent output is "just how Max/MSP sounds" and is just a result of Max/MSP is fooling themselves - go try to make something in it that sounds anything even remotely like AE, I dare you.  Have fun starting with just a square wave oscillator.  It's going to take you a while to not even get close, because the primary appeal of their recent output is the subtlety of control they have

to be clear, not Max/MSP as such, I mean the giant network of coding that they've built WITHIN the program which seems to have locked them into a relatively limited palette of ideas/sounds, as they're using ONLY this custom programming/coding/setup within Max/MSP.  something like 'draft 7.30' had so much more texture/variety/etc than all their work since 2012 imo.

so their recent elseq + ae_live + nts.live style doesn't break new ground?  Awesome, I'm extremely happy to hear this because that must mean there is lots of other music just like this

Where is it, I'd love to buy it all

new ground for Ae.  I don't mean they need a completely new sound for every album but there was something novel/fresh about all their albums up until Exai