IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

at my french compatriots:

i don't think you can blame the french for socializing en masse like everything's fine. the thing is most french don't realize what they're dealing with yet i.e. the exponential growth of the virus and they lack information about how that could have a negative impact on their lives in a few different ways (other than health-related) if the situation gets out of hand. and again, most people don't understand the exponential function. 

make sure everyone understands how exponential growth works, get people informed about the predictable impact this thing could have if it's not contained and i guarantee most people will think twice before engaging in unnecessary activities that are potentially harmful in the context. or as my pal jesus put it 'forgive them father for they do not know what they are doing'. 

Edited by brian trageskin
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

remember the '94 criminal justice bill? ;D

• The whole of Part V covered collective trespass and nuisance on land and included sections against raves and further sections against disruptive trespass, squatters, and unauthorised campers – most significantly the criminalisation of previously civil offences. This affected many forms of protest including hunt sabotage and anti-road protests. Sections 63–67 in particular defined any gathering of 20 or more people where:

63(1)(b) "music" includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats.

sounds familiar..

also, anti ep

1 hour ago, Entorwellian said:

Alternatively you can go to the financial district in your city and smear your boogers on the door handles of all of the expensive cars you see.

That's incitement to violence and justiciable. I reported your post to the mods who will decide if they will forward the case to your local authorities.

• Thanks 1

Alternatively you can go to the financial district in your city and smear your boogers on the door handles of all of the expensive cars you see.
fuck is wrong with you mate?

58 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

What the fuck good is going to the hospital going to do? There’s no cure. Rest, hydrate, flu medicine and no wanking. 

if  someone is having shortness of breath this can lead to elevated heart rate and other stuff. hospitals  have ways  to deal w/respiratory distress and of course ventilators and stuff if things get severe. it's worth calling your doctor to get advice if shortness of breath lingers or worsens. if you call the emergency room they may have advice too. 

2 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

So, it is ok to hang around the supermarket but nok ok to go for a walk/bike ride out in nature? Anyone know the logic behind this?  

Just came back from the market, all the sanitizing wipes had been stolen from the entrance, so the staff posted a sign saying they will no longer provide them to customers.  wtf

7 minutes ago, ignatius said:

if  someone is having shortness of breath this can lead to elevated heart rate and other stuff. hospitals  have ways  to deal w/respiratory distress and of course ventilators and stuff if things get severe. it's worth calling your doctor to get advice if shortness of breath lingers or worsens. if you call the emergency room they may have advice too. 

Yeah, basically if it's mild there's no reason, if it hits your lungs hard enough to cause pneumonia they you might need to go on oxygen or even assisted breathing, and multiple organ failure happens FAST so if you're already in bad shape it's better to already be there if it comes to that.

So yeah, fever and difficulty breathing is where I'd be looking to get to a hospital personally.  Fever alone I'd contact my doctor to get advice and see about getting tested. For most people I'd think the most responsible thing to do would be to stay home, overloaded medical facilities is probably the biggest danger we're facing right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

What the fuck good is going to the hospital going to do? There’s no cure. Rest, hydrate, flu medicine and no wanking. 

If he is young, he has a good chance of getting on a respirator if he stops breathing.

• Like 2

Glad I don't have to worry about hand sanitizer, I already have a liter and a half of reagent grade alcohol for making record cleaning fluid and cleaning tape heads and PCBs, so I just ordered some glycerine yesterday and will pick up hydrogen peroxide and distilled water on my last grocery run this afternoon, and I should be able to make about 3 months worth of WHO hand sanitizer by this Thursday and still have plenty of ingredients left over.

I'm just in the dubiously lucky position of having hobbies (electronics, woodworking) that sort of made me become a bit of a prepper through sheer coincidence, because a lot of the supplies I use for that stuff kind of double as supplies for a situation like this.  Plus I'm fairly poor so I already had a ton of beans and rice on hand before this even started. Hell, I've even got a nice p100 rated respirator and a machete I got for splitting coconuts, if things go full Mad Max.

One more run for eggs and cheese and a few other things, and then it's full bunker mode unless my parents have an emergency I can help them with.  2+ weeks of intense music making, video games and beans aren't the worst prospect to be honest.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Burger 2

34 minutes ago, BCM said:

fuck is wrong with you mate?

What your government, my government and the US government are doing is paramount to mass murder to protect the profits of the rich and keep the economy going. The mega-rich have fled already and the rich that stay behind have utter contempt for us. If the covid-19 can re-infect us again in a few months, all of this "herd immunity" will have been for nothing and the amount of deaths that will follow will be greater than all the lives lost in the Civil War, World War 1, World War 2, the Vietnam War, both Iraq wars and Afghanistan combined. All so that the financial numbers don't go down and fuck the poor.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Glad I don't have to worry about hand sanitizer, I already have a liter and a half of reagent grade alcohol for making record cleaning fluid and cleaning tape heads and PCBs, so I just ordered some glycerine yesterday and will pick up hydrogen peroxide and distilled water on my last grocery run this afternoon, and I should be able to make about 3 months worth of WHO hand sanitizer by this Thursday and still have plenty of ingredients left over.

After that it's full bunker mode unless my parents have an emergency I can help them with.  2+ weeks of intense music making, video games and beans aren't the worst prospect to be honest.

Same here.

5 hours ago, Nil said:

I still can't understand why muncipal elections aren't postponed.

Anyway the place I teach at might be closed from now on. The law is super vague in that reguard, as we teach adults and don't depend on the ministry of Education the way schools and univerities  do.

Can't speak for anyplace else but in the USA the right wing media outlets have been pushing the "Coronavirus is a Democrat hoax" narrative HARD for a month or so, so I assume they're banking on a long term crisis suppressing the opposition's constituents more than their own.  Between that a people consistently moving right when they're afraid, I've got a bad feeling that we'll be looking at four years of President Pence.

If you guys feel helpless, folding@home has simulated protein folding for covid-19 availble to help find treatments and cures. It uses your GPU to simulate protein folding, drug design and molecular stuff I don't understand. I never did folding before but apparently they have had big success with Alzheimer treatments stemming from the results, and about 8 papers published on other aspects related to health.

https://foldingathome.org/

You can even make teams to tackle it in groups (watmm group, anyone?)

Also here are some really good strategies on what you can do in the meantime to avoid getting sick as best as possible and being a good person: https://web.archive.org/web/20200315151539/https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dispatch-3-dr-shlain-reporting-from-front-lines-shlain-m-d-

Edited by Entorwellian

5 hours ago, manmower said:

Yup. Hopefully other governments are paying attention and learning to make the closures immediate instead of creating a window for one last bout of mass indulgence.

The Dutch have played it well, with closures effective almost immediately, but still...

spacer.png

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

Can't speak for anyplace else but in the USA the right wing media outlets have been pushing the "Coronavirus is a Democrat hoax" narrative HARD for a month or so, so I assume they're banking on a long term crisis suppressing the opposition's constituents more than their own.  Between that a people consistently moving right when they're afraid, I've got a bad feeling that we'll be looking at four years of President Pence.

The churches here had tons of cars in the parking lot this morn.  Guess they're gonna pray it away, while spreading it among the parishioners.  Merica.

If you guys feel helpless, folding@home has simulated protein folding for covid-19 availble to help find treatments and cures. It uses your GPU to simulate protein folding, drug design and molecular stuff I don't understand. I never did folding before but apparently they have had big success with Alzheimer treatments stemming from the results, and about 8 papers published on other aspects related to health.

https://foldingathome.org/

You can even make teams to tackle it in groups (watmm group, anyone?)

Also here are some really good strategies on what you can do in the meantime to avoid getting sick as best as possible and being a good person: https://web.archive.org/web/20200315151539/https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dispatch-3-dr-shlain-reporting-from-front-lines-shlain-m-d-

Nice, I have an old desktop I use as a dedicated streaming server, but I don't stream very often so I can set that up on it and let it run without impacting my laptop or music workstation at all.

What your government, my government and the US government are doing is paramount to mass murder to protect the profits of the rich and keep the economy going. The mega-rich have fled already and the rich that stay behind have utter contempt for us. If the covid-19 can re-infect us again in a few months, all of this "herd immunity" will have been for nothing and the amount of deaths that will follow will be greater than all the lives lost in the Civil War, World War 1, World War 2, the Vietnam War, both Iraq wars and Afghanistan combined. All so that the financial numbers don't go down and fuck the poor.

Masque of the red death - edgar allan poe

Made my final grocery run, today was the first day that things were obviously getting crazy.  I don't think I saw a single person on the street who wasn't hauling at least two bags of groceries somewhere, other than the people who were going in to the shops.  For the next week or two I'm pretty much turtling up other than going out for the mail.