IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

26 minutes ago, marf said:

if you were to release this on purpose to destabilize other nations you'd make a vaccine first for your own people. Then release it.

Oh and don't wear masks. 

aWfuLLy qUiEt In RuSsIa

55 minutes ago, pcock said:

Did anyone else know that swine flu infected an estimated 20 percent of the world population? I barely even remember thinking about it

It was probably the biggest pandemic I've ever encountered personally. I was still a kid/teen when SARS hit, so it was more something I saw on the news than in regular daily life. In swine flu I was evicted from a plane for suspected symptoms, and a lot of ill people in western cities were getting around with masks for several days. It was one of the leading stories during 2009 and broke out of Asia a little.

From a UK context, maybe it failed to reach the UK, and maybe something like Mad Cow disease felt more intrusive.

26 minutes ago, Roo said:

It was probably the biggest pandemic I've ever encountered personally. I was still a kid/teen when SARS hit, so it was more something I saw on the news than in regular daily life. In swine flu I was evicted from a plane for suspected symptoms, and a lot of ill people in western cities were getting around with masks for several days. It was one of the leading stories during 2009 and broke out of Asia a little.

From a UK context, maybe it failed to reach the UK, and maybe something like Mad Cow disease felt more intrusive.

Oh no it hit the uk alright.  We’ve been talking about it a lot this week actually, 10 years younger and no kid makes everything a lot less scary it turns out.  We were both working in offices and people in our offices, on our bank of desks were getting it and it was no massive thing.  

• Like 1

Western & South Australia are entering state lockdown (can't blame them after the Bondi/ship stuff the other day in NSW). As a result the AFL season is postponed till end May.

NRL teams are restricted to eastern states, so the comp is still alive for now.

1 hour ago, prdctvsm said:

^ no footy = end of the world amirite

It seems like it for some lol, like it is their sole interest. Even as an avid fan, I find it difficult to even care about it right now.

A bit of a shame in hindsight that a week ago they didn't just cancel the AFL men's and divert resourcing into assisting the AFLW finals teams to quickly finish their season (and market it as something bigger). Missed opportunity to send a positive solidarity message for the future of the game. But financially mens Round 1 is probably more lucrative, so hard to expect that kind of vision.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pcock said:

Did anyone else know that swine flu infected an estimated 20 percent of the world population? I barely even remember thinking about it

I 'member. I was traveling in Vietnam and China at the time of the epidemic and almost got quarantined on the mainland China - Hong Kong border with my then girlfriend because she had high fever. First time I had to wear a surgical mask also. There were body temperature measurements on airports and major railway stations starting from the gate when I boarded the flight from Amsterdam to Beijing.

When they start to open the borders again I bet there's going to be body temperature checks even in Europe and US for a loooong time.

16 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:
4 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

All the twitter tweets for the armoured cars keep getting deleted. I'm really hoping its a fake news filter thing.

wait wtf? explain?

Well, the social media sites are finally acting socially responsibly and clamping down hard on disinformation on the covid, so..

Russia's disinformation campaign on the subject has been going on for some days also.

They are tossing up whether to send all the NRL clubs up to my part of Queensland ? Noooooooooooo! Don't do it. The last thing I want in a Mad Max situation is to be living anywhere near ALL the rugby players, let alone their bringing the virus from Sydney to a region little-affected just yet.

I usually stay out of big online social Pow Wows and group hugs but just wanted to say I hope you are all doing okay. I've been reading this thread but choose not to say much. Just busy with life and being as cool as I possibly can dealing with stuff (and drinking a few beers and smashing out the tunes). All the best.

?

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 3
  • Burger 1

20 hours ago, BCM said:

yeah I've had all of those symptoms in the last 10 days or so, apart from i only had very mild aches that I wouldn't have really put down to anything if there wasn't this coronavirus issue everywhere. no real cough other than every now and again clearing some mucous, mild headache (easily banished with paracetamol), hot feeling face, bit hot under the armpits and slightly flushed. had a little bit of an upset stomach as well for 2 days, but nothing major. mostly feel perfectly alright now, and if I had been living under a rock and hadn't heard of covid-19 I wouldn't have given the above a second thought.

I started to get a bit of a cough on my very last nightshift of the week, last Sunday. Then on Monday I got a bit of a temperature but it never developed into a full blown fever. Now I just have a bit of a cough, very slight, and my sinuses are infected I guess. They're wide open (ie not swollen shut) but I can't smell anything and my sense of taste is 80% missing.

Yeah as you say, if there was no constant news updates on this thing I would just be coughing and spluttering everywhere. As it is you're very very self conscious about having to cough in public and suppress it. 

Also, I live with 7 other people and share communal space + kitchen + 2xBathrooms with them. Also also I am in Westminster which was the 2nd highest place in the UK for cases a few days ago.

https://revolutionaryleftradio.libsyn.com/thinking-through-the-crisis-coronavirus-capitalism-and-the-future

1. All Episodes
  2. Thinking Through The Crisis: Coronavirus, Capitalism, and The Future

On this emergency crossover episode of Red Menace and Rev Left Radio, Alyson and Breht discuss COVID-19, what the best models are predicting, what the response of the US State and capitalist class is, what the Left can do, what the future looks like, and much, much more. 

Edited by Zeffolia

8 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”
 Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Dominic Cummings loves this line

Expecting global societies to reset after this is at best naive. Expect some measures, but the empires will remain even if they change hands pass the parcel style some time this century 

“The Empire never ended” - PKD

10 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

Dominic Cummings loves this line

Expecting global societies to reset after this is at best naive. Expect some measures, but the empires will remain even if they change hands pass the parcel style some time this century 

“The Empire never ended” - PKD

It's not about this, it's about what this is a test run for.  Climate change.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:

It's not about this, it's about what this is a test run for.  Climate change.

Aren’t you the bloke who, rightly or wrongly, has droned on about wanting a United Marxist States of America, even if that’s the country least likely to move in such a direction & (forgive me if I’m wrong here) you aren’t even a citizen there? 

That picture of the Bondi beach crowds might be one of the finest examples in recent memory of the context of an image. Normally a picture of a big crowd on a sunny day enjoying the beach is a sign of wellbeing, idyllic lifestyle, prosperity, togetherness, etc. But on this particular day, it was something bordering on communal atrocity, an act of complete recklessness which forced the hand of subsequent government measures. Like an enforced collective sick day and being caught in the act out and about.

Future historians will treasure its textual interpretative power (as well as many others like the French revellers and the airport queues, but something about that Bondi image feels exceptional to me).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marf said:

if you were to release this on purpose to destabilize other nations you'd make a vaccine first for your own people. Then release it.

No, just for the "important" ones among your own people.

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

aWfuLLy qUiEt In RuSsIa

Russia is covering it up by classifying tons of cases as "pneumonia"

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/why-russia-reporting-few-covid-19-cases-cover-164300102--abc-news-topstories.html

Iran refusing US help, bc they still think we created it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-leader-refuses-u-help-112416497.html

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

aWfuLLy qUiEt In RuSsIa

Just Putin securing another decade or so on the Czar’s throne

To quote Father Ted protest placards, “down with that sort of thing” & “careful now” 

6 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Russia is covering it up by classifying tons of cases as "pneumonia"

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/why-russia-reporting-few-covid-19-cases-cover-164300102--abc-news-topstories.html

Iran refusing US help, bc they still think we created it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-leader-refuses-u-help-112416497.html

If I was Iran I'd be refusing US 'help' as well.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1