ptfbuwz1.jpg

another classic japanese horror film by kaneto shindo- and almost like a companion piece to onibaba

once again, a mother and daughter-in-law are left alone in a remote village. their son/husband has been recruited by the army to fight in a bloody war. while they await his return, they're raped and killed by an army of samurai.

they make a pact with evil spirits that turn them in spectres and they vow to kill every samurai they come across through a very lurid sex and dance ritual. then, the son/husband returns as a samurai and is tasked with killing the monster terrorizing samurai.

this was amazing. despite this being based on an actual folktale it felt and looked more contemporary than onibaba and seemed to have a more definite time and place.

nine and a half black stray cats out of ten

Every Halloween I try to watch a horror flick that I haven't seen before, and this year's choice was The Sacrament. Didn't know anything about it, I just dived in based on the fact that it was directed by the guy responsible for The House of the Devil, which I loved.

Anyway, it was completely different to that. It's another one of those 'found footage' style films, based on a group of Vice reporters that head out to this batshit religious commune to see what the crack is, but of course it all goes tits up. If you like jump scares, this isn't for you, but if you enjoy your horrors with a gradual build-up of tension and a well executed sense of dread, I'd recommend it.

If you have any knowledge of Jonestown this film is a waste of time. If you don't, read the wiki entry then listen to the sound of them all killing themselves. It'll save you time and is far more effective. After I saw this film in the cinema I got a text from a friend telling me Rik Mayall was dead. That was an awful day.

^ fully agreed. The Sacrament was really bland, the real-life story is far more horrible cos its documented with no veneer. there is a grimy recording on yt of them all poisoning themselves and dying (babies too).

edit: having said that, The House of the Devil was good and I like Ti West's stayle

Edited by usagi

Baden Baden (2016) - Rachel Lang's first film - has the most annoying modern artist in it called Boris. Girl goes home, girl lives her life. Similar to Garden State but Made in France so everyone smokes and has messy but styled hair and lives in a sort of free fun bubble existence. Again has the most annoying modern artist in it called Boris. 

WhatwillBorisdonext?/10

Every Halloween I try to watch a horror flick that I haven't seen before, and this year's choice was The Sacrament. Didn't know anything about it, I just dived in based on the fact that it was directed by the guy responsible for The House of the Devil, which I loved.

Anyway, it was completely different to that. It's another one of those 'found footage' style films, based on a group of Vice reporters that head out to this batshit religious commune to see what the crack is, but of course it all goes tits up. If you like jump scares, this isn't for you, but if you enjoy your horrors with a gradual build-up of tension and a well executed sense of dread, I'd recommend it.

If you have any knowledge of Jonestown this film is a waste of time. If you don't, read the wiki entry then listen to the sound of them all killing themselves. It'll save you time and is far more effective. After I saw this film in the cinema I got a text from a friend telling me Rik Mayall was dead. That was an awful day.

It wasn't amazing, no, but I loved how the tension slowly built up as the film progressed. That was spot on. Nevertheless, I probably wouldn't watch it again.

I began to assume it would enter Jonestown territory once the 'potion' came into play

I did. it was p boring, but I thought the point of it was to appeal to oldschool slow-paced horror aesthetics so I figured it might work for some people if not me.

but ti west has lost his way

clue's in his name though.

Cannibal Hollocasut

Pretty sick stuff...almost transcends the horror movie genre into it's own sub-level of distastefulness. Exploiting real life animal slaughterings and gore + real docu footage of violence to heighten the overall mood. too real for me though...felt pretty ill afterwards
Has some nice messages behind it all and the story at it's core is pretty interesting, but seems to just use this as an excuse to ramp the nasty up

Cannibal Hollocasut

Pretty sick stuff...almost transcends the horror movie genre into it's own sub-level of distastefulness. Exploiting real life animal slaughterings and gore + real docu footage of violence to heighten the overall mood. too real for me though...felt pretty ill afterwards

Has some nice messages behind it all and the story at it's core is pretty interesting, but seems to just use this as an excuse to ramp the nasty up

It's the Blair Witch Project for people who have a "LiveLeaks" account

6f2n14.jpg

watch this last night after owning the dvd for about 2 years and never even opening and to be quite honest, i was left perplexed at what i had just witnessed. this is like the bastard child of evil dead 2, happiness of the katakuri's and scooby doo except it has a lot more creativity and energy than those films (excluding scooby doo). every frame, every shot in every scene is full of life and fervor- at times it seems the film has so many ideas it wishes to exist beyond it's own dimension; and the filmmaker attempts to allow it to do so throwing everything into the absurd plot from matte paintings, animation, fast cuts that burn, break, twist, jump, turn and resize themselves to a background of colorful happy music to develop the "sentai" anime personalities of the seven girls.

the plot is that a couple of girls (seven) visit one of their friends aunt's house in the countryside. the house happens to be haunted and unbeknownst to the girls, actually happens to eat girls. why happens to be (sort of revealed later) and hinted at towards the beginning with an insanely-cool backstory-packed segment involving silent b&w footage-of-the-mind that the girls are "watching" whilst on the way to aunt's house. 

what seems innocent and playful on the surface actually packs a somewhat sinister message that's told with such a joyful and whimsical voice it's impossible not to laugh despite it's depressing finale.

9 screeching white devil cats puking blood out of ten

have to check "house" out, sounds interesting

I recently watched Amores Perros.

It's definitely one of the best films I've watched in the last time. It's from the director of Birdman, The Revenant and Babel

Plot:

A horrific car accident connects three stories, each involving characters dealing with loss, regret, and life's harsh realities, all in the name of love.