1 hour ago, Wunderbar said:

nvm.

i wish i could delete comments.

Are u active / in shape?

I'm super stacked for risk: male, 42, group A blood type, t h i c c. I am active but I am obese and I've been kidding myself for awhile because weightlifting is permissive of bloatlording but I should no longer accept that at my age. I did cut 23 kg at the end of '20 but it wasn't enough apparently. Even the exotic factors (high percentage of Neanderthal DNA) are true in my case. My 23andMe results put me in the top quartile of all humans alive today with respect to Neanderthal DNA and there is a connection to acute respiratory failure with COVID. So, I am monke that should not have survived. Time to look towards role models other than Hafthor "The Mountain" Bjornsson. Vegan marathoners perhaps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

4 minutes ago, xxx said:

I'm super stacked for risk: male, 42, group A blood type, t h i c c. I am active but I am obese and I've been kidding myself for awhile because weightlifting is permissive of bloatlording but I should no longer accept that at my age. I did cut 23 kg at the end of '20 but it wasn't enough apparently. Even the exotic factors (high percentage of Neanderthal DNA) are true in my case. My 23andMe results put me in the top quartile of all humans alive today with respect to Neanderthal DNA and there is a connection to acute respiratory failure with COVID. So, I am monke that should not have survived. Time to look towards role models other than Hafthor "The Mountain" Bjornsson. Vegan marathoners perhaps. 

bit of a tangent. .but i find the science in this fascinating. it's stuff a lot of people suspect but the science really makes it clear how our own personal biology and our brains, hormones etc are so relevant to everything including fat, metabolism etc. it's kind of amazing.  should be able to stream this. it's just under an hour. they compare people all over the world and make some interesting discoveries. outside USA might need a VPN to watch it. 

btw glad you got the regeneron and are on the mend. 

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/the-truth-about-fat/

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, usagi said:

I should do one of these shits

i got the national geographic version as a gift many years ago. pretty interesting. i too have some neanderthal genes. 

On 8/28/2021 at 5:41 AM, usagi said:

Eric Clapton has always been a piece of shit, even before this predictable turn. built his entire musical career as a "guitar god" on music innovated by blacks, while yelling publicly about "getting the coons out" of England and all that Enoch Powell shite. never really apologised, never disavowed his hypocritical stance. I have no respect for these people, let alone their music.

38CF92FE-F91B-426F-B945-8C97B640C281.jpeg

Nearly everything that doctors do carries risk. Surgeries can go awry. Diagnostic tests can yield false positives, exposing patients to more invasive tests or procedures. Medications and vaccines are no exception. Some 1.3 million emergency department visits are attributed to adverse drug effects each year, and studies have estimated that nearly seven per cent of hospitalized patients suffer some form of adverse drug reaction, with a fatality rate of 0.3 per cent. These numbers, extrapolated across the country’s population, suggest that more than two million adverse drug reactions probably occur in U.S. hospitals each year, potentially resulting in more than a hundred thousand deaths. If that’s true, then adverse drug effects are the fourth-leading cause of death in the United States—ahead of diabetes, pneumonia, and car accidents.

[...]

For some people, it’s not so much the known risks that have them worried as the unknown. They ask, What if the mRNA vaccines alter our DNA, threatening our health far in the future? Will they affect our bodies in other, as yet undiscovered, ways? After all, some say, this is brand-new technology, and the F.D.A. has only fully approved the Pfizer vaccine.

As it turns out, though, mRNA technology isn’t especially new. Scientists have been developing it since the nineteen-nineties. And the principles behind it are startlingly simple and elegant. Most existing vaccines contain the actual virus that they are meant to protect against; some, like the polio vaccine, contain “killed” virus, which has been altered so that it cannot replicate in our cells, whereas others, like the measles vaccine, contain live “attenuated” virus, which can replicate but has been engineered to trigger an immune response rather than an infection. The mRNA vaccines are an improvement upon these shots, because they contain no virus at all. Instead, they consist of tiny packages that deliver a set of instructions to our cells. The instructions take the same form—messenger RNA—that all cells use to make each and every protein in our bodies. In the case of the covid vaccines, the instructions tell our cells how to make the spike protein, which is a single piece of the coronavirus that studs its outer capsule, like a flag. No other part of the virus is involved. Our cells recognize the spike protein as foreign, and display it to our immune system, which responds by preparing to fight off the actual virus. As soon as the mRNA blueprints are read, the cell destroys them. All of this happens outside of the cell nucleus, where our DNA is housed; it doesn’t interact with our DNA in any way. It’s a brilliant technique, and there’s no scientific basis for the idea that these vaccines might threaten our health in the future. Once they’ve done their job, they just disappear.

Why the COVID Vaccines Aren’t Dangerous (The New Yorker)

Edited by dcom

13 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I just want to say that r/hermancainaward is a rewarding way to spend 20 minutes or so. 

omg it's endless. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ignatius said:

omg it's endless. 

It sure is. 
In a bizarre sense of timing, I’m reading “Fall” by Neal Stephenson, and his ideas around editing of social media feeds are so eerily on point. 

• Like 2

Finland has administered 6,79 million COVID shots, there have been 399 applications for pharmaceutical injury compensation, out of which 174 have received a decision, and 86 compensations have been awarded. There are zero deaths attributed to COVID vaccines. 72,7 % have had one shot, 50,2 % have had two. 7-day average cases 589 (almost exclusively in the young adult age groups up to 39), 5 deaths. One of my downstairs neighbours caught delta (confirmed byt tests), a family of six with parents fully vaccinated, toddler triplets and older child not - low-to-mid-grade flu-like symptoms.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 3

Look, if you have been forwarded this essay from a friend or loved one, then there are two possibilities. Either you are a normal, regular, sensible fucking person like me who got fucking vaccinated at the first possible moment, and this essay channels all your fucking rage and sadness and is therefore cathartic OR, and I really hope this isn’t the fucking case, you AREN’T fucking vaccinated, and someone sent it to you because you fucking fucking fuck, you need to get fucking vaccinated.

Oh My Fucking God, Get the Fucking Vaccine Already, You Fucking Fucks (Wendy Molyneux/McSweeney's)

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Alberta gearing up to spend $20M to pay these idiots to take a fucking life-saving vaccine. Quite the turnaround from a month ago when they were convinced the pandemic was over. Might as well mention they have the highest case count and lowest vaccination rate in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-covid-kenney-hinshaw-1.6163826

Faced with surging cases and the lowest vaccination rate in the country, Alberta will begin paying $100 to people who get a first or second dose of COVID-19 vaccine, Premier Jason Kenney announced Friday.

The move is part of a suite of new measures announced by the province, including making masks mandatory for all indoor public spaces and workplaces starting Saturday.

Alberta is the first province in Canada to offer a financial incentive for vaccinations, though the tactic has been used in the United States, Kenney told a news conference in Edmonton. 

"I wish we didn't have to do this, but this is not a time for moral judgments," he said about the incentive program, which is expected to cost about $20 million.

:facepalm:

Edited by toaoaoad

On 8/19/2021 at 8:39 AM, dcom said:

I looked this up, and your claim is unbased.

See also Simpson's Paradox and interpreting data.

I'm still waiting for the sources of your other claims.

i just watched a video that explains how to correctly interpret this kind of data using a bayesian approach. i completely suck at math but the basic principles of bayesian thinking are very easy to grasp. i would post the video here but it's in french and doesn't have subtitles. 

5 hours ago, chronical said:

Was planning to get poked this week but ended up getting Covid a week or two back. Can't smell anything which is super weird, hope that gets back to normal soon

My coworker and his wife both got it at the same time, about a year ago.  He regained smell / taste a month or two later and she has only regained about 25% thus far.  Kinda scary.