IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

16 hours ago, commercial said:

wider view with subs for the completists

Is it a pic of yours ? I mean , were you allowed to go on stage after soundcheck ?

edit : how even did you get into there before doors open, you were part of the barbican crew ?

Edited by neurone

23 minutes ago, neurone said:

Is it a pic of yours ? I mean , were you allowed to go on stage after soundcheck ?

edit : how even did you get into there before doors open, you were part of the barbican crew ?

Yea, they are my photos - I was there with :zoviet*france: for their soundcheck, have known the guys for years, used to work with them on projects when they were running their Charrm label back in the 1990's, the company I co-ran was one of their distributors etc. I missed the AE soundcheck, turned up just in time to witness them checking the efficacy of the blackout!

• Like 14

I think Barbican as a venue was great. I saw them do a set without lights in 2010 in a more traditional music venue. The venue had the bars open, so you didn't get the same pitch black experience, and with a "sloped" (?) floor and a lot of drunk people bumping around in almost darkness, it felt like a completely different setting. At the Barbican everything was pitch black, and the only thing I saw from my position was some ghostly distant spherical forms bobbing around behind the screens on stage. A dreamy and strange experience and like others, I had noe idea how long they had played. A fun thing; in the middle(?) of the set, a floating light made it's way to me. It was one of the Barbican staff who asked a guy who was lying down right in front of me, to find his seat. I had no idea.

Also the description of ZF first set sounded like the description of the last.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scumtron said:

At the Barbican everything was pitch black, and the only thing I saw from my position was some ghostly distant spherical forms bobbing around behind the screens on stage.

So are they not obliged to keep lights on for fire exits and so on?

14 minutes ago, wintoid said:

So are they not obliged to keep lights on for fire exits and so on?

Apparently not. Because it was absolutely pitch black. No emergency exit lights (I watched them go out)

• Like 4

Just got back home after the weekend. What a blinder!

I was lucky enough to get tix for both shows.

First show was brutal and pummeling at times. As others have said, the total darkness making for some strange feelings. I was hallucinating slightly, seeing things in the dark, and my ears were playing tricks on me (or were they?), and I lost all perception of time.

We were in the second row down the front off to the left, and I was worried the sound would be a bit pants but it sounded incredible.

For the second show we were up right at the top, pretty much center on the front row.  I was hoping  would be able to spot any subtle differences from the first set, but my hopes came true when they played a completely different set. The last 20 mins or so is some of the best Ae I have ever heard. There is a definite progression in their sound.

ZF were also top, though I wast keen on the fluty/panpipey last track.

Top comedy moment for me was a lady finding her seat and saying as she passed "There are a lot of men here" (I replied "Yeah, its a total sausage fest)....oh and Mike Ps footwear!

Sean and Rob, if you're reading this. Cheers fellas. This was the first time I have seen you where the playing in the dark really worked. I was dubious about the gig being seated, but fuck, the total and complete darkness really spun my head. Thanks!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, oscillik said:

Apparently not. Because it was absolutely pitch black. No emergency exit lights (I watched them go out)

dunno how it works in england but in france, you can turn off emergency exit lights if (and only if) you have a dedicated person who is affected to (and not disturbed by another task) to turn it back on as soon as an emergency warning is launched by the person in charge of the security.

Edited by neurone
grammar / ortograph
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, neurone said:

dunno how it works in england but in france, you can turn off emergency exit lights if (and only if) you have a dedicated person who is affected to (and not disturbed by another task) to turn it back on as soon as an emergency warning is launched by the person in charge of the security.

I dunno, but they had these guys dotted around the place

spacer.png

• Like 6

finally listened in the studio to the flac of the helsinki recording. fucking ay. some amazing stuff. i'm digging it. there's a lot of subtle things happening. layered. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, baph said:

Where can I sign up to be a white paper special ops dude?

you have to go through months of training before you even apply for that job. i heard that sean forces applicants to memorize perlence subrange 6-36

Edited by Ski Nell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yeah the second half of the second set sounds pretty amazing, nice clear mic recording too - there's just more to 'latch' on to, more dynamics, it's just the sort of dark punchy stuff I was hoping for.  I feel like I was at the wrong show damnit... 

Definitely looking forward to the release of this set.