IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

2 hours ago, casual helipad said:

I'm actually pretty confident I know who this mystery gf of his is.

Reveal hidden contents

But I'm gonna respect Samson's privacy, so I will not share it with you (sorry) ? 

Same. You are one lucky old geezer, Sean.

Edited by scumtron

5 minutes ago, Grain Bastard said:

Why is Sean Booth mentioned in the picture bottom right??? 

SB says he's been a fan of Biosphere throughout the years. 

DSC_1852.thumb.JPG.deb3f4744a94177f921fb9de7a9c1222.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, psn said:

with crisp synthesized percussion that sounded like PM stuff on top

Yeah then also Helsinki stuff at the end sounds like layers of noise reduction. Kind of voxel space vs normal 3d modelling (pre-onesix)

• Like 2

Got to add a quick thanks to the guys who recorded and mastered the two Barbican sets, they sound as good as you could possibly hope for from a crowd recording. 

Weirdly I'm enjoying the recording of the 1st barbican set a lot more than I did actually being there. Probably sounding like an old man here, but the volume was so loud I couldn't really make out much over the booming kicks and percussion. Maybe it was where we were sat? 

Anyway, pretty stoked for the soundboards. Would be nice to get a release before Christmas... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

Probably sounding like an old man here, but the volume was so loud I couldn't really make out much over the booming kicks and percussion.

I really wish I'd sated my curiosity and took out my ear plugs mid set to see what the volume was really like - but was worried I'd take them out, drop them and then never find them for the rest of the performance, and be filled with even more 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' tinnitus for the rest of the month !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

strange to read about excessive volume, I have always had the opposite problem, without ever finding a situation that overwhelmed me with sound: I always thought it was club politics or the fact that, beyond a certain range, sounds with ae parameters risked to clip, but now I suspect that the problem is me, and maybe I should get a hearing test

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mcbpete said:

and be filled with even more 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' tinnitus for the rest of the month !

good choice you made to preserve your ears.

1 hour ago, Draft78 said:

strange to read about excessive volume

wondering if they had their own f.o.h. sound technician with them on tour.

Like you said, it seems that quite numerous folks said it was maybe a bit too loud, or a bit too much bass.

I saw ae three times (2001, 2005 and 2010) live and the volume was okay. but I didn't saw (say, hear) them on this tour.

13 minutes ago, neurone said:

wondering if they had their own f.o.h. sound technician with them on tour.

At The Barbican it was Chris Fullard, no idea if he was touring with them - he does a lot of *heavy* stuff - recently Sunn O))) for quite a few years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Draft78 said:

strange to read about excessive volume, I have always had the opposite problem, without ever finding a situation that overwhelmed me with sound: I always thought it was club politics or the fact that, beyond a certain range, sounds with ae parameters risked to clip, but now I suspect that the problem is me, and maybe I should get a hearing test

The volume would have worked in a club I reckon. For a venue with everyone sitting down though... not so much. Listening to the recording there's lots of stuff going on but I couldn't get any of it on the night. Just the beats and low end. It got a bit monotonous after a while. 

1 hour ago, commercial said:

At The Barbican it was Chris Fullard, no idea if he was touring with them - he does a lot of *heavy* stuff - recently Sunn O))) for quite a few years

...ah!, if that's the guy who took care of sunnO))) then it doesn't surprise me that the Barbican system has exploded ..saw sunn0) twice , and both times, despite my deafness, I felt physical pain. I think it was the purpose: the fucking martyrdom. At terraforma the volume was not devastating (again by my standards), but still enjoyable, and everything was defined and lively (at least, considering it was outdoors).

...Who knows now at club2club ( :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad: ), in 2016, it was low and messy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

The volume would have worked in a club I reckon. For a venue with everyone sitting down though... not so much. Listening to the recording there's lots of stuff going on but I couldn't get any of it on the night. Just the beats and low end. It got a bit monotonous after a while. 

this set is sneaky, full of stuff but never explicit, it never winks and asks for a lot: without massive molecular help it can be really hermetic on the first run

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

this set is sneaky, full of stuff but never explicit, it never winks and asks for a lot: without massive molecular help it can be really hermetic on the first run

yes . sneaky. demands focusing to get the thing.

what's sure is that if the room is reverberating a bit too much it sure might blurr all details.

first listen I had, I did not get all of it, but then I listened to it on my hifi with good volume, suddenly it all comes coherent and awesome.

I guess this one really needs a good quality listening system to have it shine and come out trough the mind.

• Like 1

Listening to the Helsinki set I was aware there's a lot of detailed stuff that's really quiet in the mix, similar to SIGN/PLUS. It's especially noticeable near the end of the set, listening on cans. Makes sense on an album, but I've been curious how much of that would come through in the actual live experience, whether the surround sound and being seated would help those details come through, or if it would just be lost in the room/mix etc. either way. Sounds like maybe the latter has been true? Either way I'm happy to wait for the soundboards and have really been digging this one. 

• Like 5

I was at the Turin gig a few hours ago. Second time I saw them (after Lausanne in 2016). I don't know if I have something very relevant to say but here's my modest report.

I'm not the type of guy to go to festivals or even gigs. That means my experience is mainly made from what comes out of my headphones, at home.

I was hyped as fuck of course. First thing I noticed was that it was not enough dark. Lights of the emergency exits were not turned off and I guess some light was coming from the entrance. I don't know exactly. I imagine it's also harder to get full darkness in a big room. Oh, and I saw quite a lot of guys playing with their phone's light and even some genius with a red blinking light (the kind we use for bikes). Well, that made me realise again why I rather stay at home.

The sound was not too loud. Bass was very present (compared to what I'm used to hear with my headphones) and I'd say details were not so easy to hear.

Overall great experience as expected. I was secretly hoping some scratching part like they did in the second set at the Barbican.

Would be nice to read other reports to compare and see if I'm getting too old.

• Like 11

On 11/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, danshoebridge said:

Got to add a quick thanks to the guys who recorded and mastered the two Barbican sets, they sound as good as you could possibly hope for from a crowd recording. 

Weirdly I'm enjoying the recording of the 1st barbican set a lot more than I did actually being there. Probably sounding like an old man here, but the volume was so loud I couldn't really make out much over the booming kicks and percussion. Maybe it was where we were sat? 

Anyway, pretty stoked for the soundboards. Would be nice to get a release before Christmas... 

Definitely where you were sat I reckon. I almost brought a little recorder with me, I had such amazing sound for the second set. However even if I had brought it I almost certainly wouldn't have been able to operate it. Also some excitable idiot kept clapping inappropriately where I was sitting.

Edited by EXTRASUPER81

On 11/5/2022 at 1:02 AM, siisx said:

First thing I noticed was that it was not enough dark. Lights of the emergency exits were not turned off and I guess some light was coming from the entrance. I don't know exactly. I imagine it's also harder to get full darkness in a big room

Oh, and I saw quite a lot of guys playing with their phone's light and even some genius with a red blinking light (the kind we use for bikes). Well, that made me realise again why I rather stay at home.

The sound was not too loud. 

all club2club stuff. It is not propely an electronic festival, but more a social event, 90% of the audience does not know what autechre is, and when the light goes out they think there is a problem with the lighting system, and after a while they even start to protest

...that's why, this time, they play at 8:30 and not at 4am like in 2016 I suppose

Edited by Draft78

u have mentioned before that this festival would be not so good and I have to wholeheartedly agree. Glad you had a good time in Milano, I was there too, and hope that you find relief in that you haven’t missed anything at all by not attending c2c.

the Milano variant of the current set had significantly more balls and the beautiful garden gave it pretty great acoustics, unlike the overly big Convention Center (shopping mall?) hall c2c was using in Turin. Bass response was very muddy and uneven, that super low thick hiphop stuff in the second half of the set could not deliver at all due to this. Highs were ok (line array) but due to the out of control room acoustics everything sounded too far away and a bit undifferentiated.

The current set, like the ones in the last decade+ , have these same building blocks which can at times make certain twists in this or that direction, and sometimes the ensuing chaos checks out and falls into a pretty good macro groove, for example some semi-random drum bit occurring just at the right moment, and sometimes it’s a bit hit and miss, a hole in the sound where something interesting could happen. The Milano set had a much more pleasing hit/miss ratio compared to c2c, and also compared to Helsinki. Just some baller little drum fills, and very distinctly, the beautiful bit in the middle of the set with these falling bomb-drop-like sweeps, was not present in Turin.  

To sum up c2c itself, to get a drink you had to top up your wristband with prepaid money. My friend wanted exactly one small beer (7eur) so he topped up the minimum amount of 10eur, of which 2 were deducted as a fee. The remaining 8eur were then not enough to buy the beer, because you’d also have to deposit 2eur for the plastic cup. So he had to top up another 10eur. 11eur of his money remains in some c2c bank account at this point, and we will see whether it finds its way back out of there. This is in my opinion clearly a borderline rip off deal, counting on people being too lazy / forgetting to go to their website after the festival and filling out the Google Forms thing to reclaim your small money.

after the ae, we were seeking to enjoy the place but it was not possible. The bands / DJs after ae were not good, and we could not imagine sticking around in there until later in the night where some potentially worthy acts would play, due to there not being anything to do other than stand around or walk between the two halls, and our mood dropped significantly while trying to figure out how to get our prepaid drink deposit moneys back while some mediocre techno band was making any conversation with your mates or the bar clerk near impossible.

Turin is an interesting city tho, we had a grand time walking around for two days just looking at things and eating.

TLDR: avoid c2c

Edited by dr b0rk
  • Like 6