IGNORED

Evian Christ - Revanchist

thumbass

I came here after people posting this alot on Facebook (even their own pages) and puking on it so much

Everyone is like "RIP Warp" 

It is pretty fucking cringe tho this music.. Can not take it seriously and it doesn't fit on Warp. 

• Like 2

Some really good tracks on this some not so good.

1 minute ago, cern said:

It is pretty fucking cringe tho this music.. Can not take it seriously and it doesn't fit on Warp. 

Warp are trying to branch out to cater to a younger market. This kind of music is becoming increasingly popular with younger audiences in a lot of underground scenes in the UK and Scandinavia. I don't really get how it doesn't "fit on Warp" though considering Warp puts out literally every genre of music nowadays.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:50 PM, springymajig said:

Yeah I can see why WATMM doesn't like this stuff but I've liked all of it so far. The latest one is very PC Music/hyper pop so again... I understand the reaction. Also the video is awesome. This should be a fun album.

Most blokes on this forum were around to see the break-up of Pangaea so the reaction is not surprising.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cern said:

it doesn't fit on Warp. 

i wonder when people here will start accepting that Warp Records is no longer just IDM anymore

like i completely understand hating the album but ffs

also i really do not see why variety is so awful esp when said variety is still electronic music

• Like 3

The album is waaay 2 short it's a crime.

5 good tracks and 3 meh on first listen

Lol at facepuke haters, the types that listen 1 min on their shitty bluetooth headphones and judge it.

the amount of skill this dude put in the production is insane, needs to be played ball hard on a soundsystem.

• Haha 1

Yxguden immediately felt like a guilty pleasure, reminded me of crowded parties 10 years ago. I guess I needed just that today after a very shitty day at work and played the album : it makes a lot more sense in this context. Sound design feels a bit exhausting by the end of the album imo but there are some epic moments to be heard - Xkirgyos especially. Also liked the album closer which sounds as it was made out of a timestretched sample from Robert Miles' Children.

Also :

7 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

the amount of skill this dude put in the production is insane, needs to be played ball hard on a soundsystem.

coronaooze.thumb.jpg.8d7049434efa5339945

Edited by Stock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I like this album, its really cheesey but also very ernest and nostaligic for early 2000s dance/trance stuff. People have mentioned PC Music and it definitley belongs more in that camp. 

I've been obsessed with this guy ever since Duga-3 which I think is a masterpiece. Would have loved to see him continue down a more ambient route but thats just my taste

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cern said:

I came here after people posting this alot on Facebook (even their own pages) and puking on it so much

Everyone is like "RIP Warp" 

I liked some of his early stuff but wasn't mega excited for the album or anything but all the people shitting on it makes me wants to listen (and makes me think I will prob v much enjoy!)

Find it so weird people bitching about it...a record labels released something that's not to your taste big fucking deal 🤣

Edited by kirm
  • Like 2

Yeah I liked the album but it's a bit more samey than I expected. Pretty much all sounds like the second single.

Also again... I totally get why people are mad at this but also I have seen people shit on warp's choices since... I think it was around 2005 with Jackson and his Computer Band maybe? I think maybe warp were NEVER consistent/predictable in who they chose to sign.

On 9/22/2023 at 4:30 PM, mydirtyundiesdude said:

been doing this style for a while and trance party for years, hardly come up with this on the fly 

this remix was so good from a couple of years ago too 

Thanks, this remix really got me hooked and out of my sudden love-hate crush on this guy, which I totally slept on, I'm totally in love with this LP. Sure it's designed for the techno kiddies and pure cringe but that's the point of it lol. I just can't stop singing: Free falling, free free falling. Like the bastard son of Hudson Mohawke and Southstar hi hi. What is Rustie up to by the way?

• Like 1

I am surprised by the positive reception this got here. Personally I can't really get into the thing. It sounds so samey and a little pretentious

Edited by thumbass

The one thing that I find a little off putting about this sort of thing is that it feels like he's trying to "have his cake and eat it too": It seems like it's trying to be ironic and parody but also earnest and loving homage at the same time.

I find this to be the case with a lot of modern electronic music, especially hyperpop/PC music. Sometimes I really get into it for a few weeks and get sick of all the "irony" and just want someone to be honest for a change so I go back to listening to Autechre 😛

To be fair... the only track on this album that reeeeally fits that uncanny irony/homage balance is Yxguden, if it wasn't for that track I'd assume the whole thing was meant to be taken seriously. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, springymajig said:

The one thing that I find a little off putting about this sort of thing is that it feels like he's trying to "have his cake and eat it too": It seems like it's trying to be ironic and parody but also earnest and loving homage at the same time.

I find this to be the case with a lot of modern electronic music, especially hyperpop/PC music. Sometimes I really get into it for a few weeks and get sick of all the "irony" and just want someone to be honest for a change so I go back to listening to Autechre 😛

yeahhhhh tbh i think thats why i mostly listen to older electronic music even if that whole ironic aspect doesnt annoy me it does get a bit bothersome if i listen too much of it

17 hours ago, springymajig said:

To be fair... the only track on this album that reeeeally fits that uncanny irony/homage balance is Yxguden, if it wasn't for that track I'd assume the whole thing was meant to be taken seriously. 

Don't like to 2nd guess artists motivations but for me this sounds like a love letter to trance & happy hardcore. 

Think it resonates with me cause I also grew up on that, it was the first electronic music I was properly exposed to and get the feeling he might be the same.

Either way its an awesome enjoyable album and seriously a contender for AOTY for me! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kirm said:

Don't like to 2nd guess artists motivations but for me this sounds like a love letter to trance & happy hardcore. 

Think it resonates with me cause I also grew up on that, it was the first electronic music I was properly exposed to and get the feeling he might be the same.

Either way its an awesome enjoyable album and seriously a contender for AOTY for me! 

It's entirely possible that Yxguden threw me off cos it stands out on the album, it's a lot more exaggerated and has that silly music video and so I think that colored my perception of the album.

But I guess if I think about it... this album can be taken totally seriously and still works as a "love letter" as you say.

I think that idea may have also gone over my head cos there's a lot of music like that (90s trance and hardcore) still being made that sounds more obviously a continuation of it's roots... this mixes in some more modern sounds and ideas.

Maybe I just overthink this sorta thing 😛