IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

alien isolation is such a stressful game! after a month you can easily get PTSD :trashbear:

i just bought it for my 12 year old nephew for his birthday ;\
Poor kid! Jk...He has a young heart and nerves, he can take it. ;)

Have you tried it?

Edited by xox

I put close to 2 hours into DX: Mankind Divided. I was enjoying it up until the arrival in Prague, when it crashed during a first-person cutscene. Launched it a second time, same thing. Third time...same thing. So looks like I can't progress beyond that point until Eidos patches it.

Is it more common now for AAA titles to still have bugs upon release?

Guest bitroast

Is it more common now for AAA titles to still have bugs upon release?

preeeeeeeeeeeetty much. but ... it's kind of always been the case for games to have bugs or seem unpolished or seem unfinished or whatever. Did You Know? even the NES console from the 1980's has a wide range of buggy, glitchy, broken games. 

the whole, patching + day 1 patch release thing is a blessing as much as it is an annoyance to the gamers. but, at least the opportunity is there for a game to go through development, hit a deadline, be released ... and then be patched post release. 

it's just annoying for the early adopters to essentially be treated as 'free bug testers' for the developers. 

~~~

no man's sky... for example, is a game i wanna play and check out ... but the triple aaa pricing doesn't sit well with me cos honestly the game is and looks like an indie game ... but is getting away with triple AAA pricing on account on the hype + intense marketing.

but !!! on top of that.. i'm sort of guessing and hoping that the game will be pretty different in a years time compared to at launch. i imagine optimisation and performance will be improved .. bugs and things ironed out. 

i'm happy to wait, and pay less for what is (potentially on a tiny level) a better experience. 

Edited by bitroast

I solved the crashing problem with DX:MD. Had to disable everything on my DLC list on Steam. I was able to clear that hurdle for the time being. Still could use a patch tho.

As far as NMS goes, more patches are supposedly under way.

Not a single problem in my Deus EX here, I have no idea what the fuss is about with all those mixed Steam reviews. Looks like trolling at this point.

Ambience is top notch. Prague feels like a Half Life 2 city. It's really nice to explore. I like how the level design evolved from the previous game with a much better use of verticality (well, verticality wasn't really a thing at all in Human Revolution tbh). Also, the secondary quests pile up quite nicely on each other.

Bought Abzû, because I absolutely loved Journey and it looked like a lush game to chill out with. Not feeling it at all, something's off.

Not a single problem in my Deus EX here, I have no idea what the fuss is about with all those mixed Steam reviews. Looks like trolling at this point.

Ambience is top notch. Prague feels like a Half Life 2 city. It's really nice to explore. I like how the level design evolved from the previous game with a much better use of verticality (well, verticality wasn't really a thing at all in Human Revolution tbh). Also, the secondary quests pile up quite nicely on each other.

YES, totally got a City 17 feel from Prague. I don't think it's coincidence.

Combat-wise the Dawn engine feels smoother than the one for HR did, but the controls are still taking some getting used to for me.

Guest bitroast

Dark Souls III dlc trailer is out !! time for HYPE all over again. 

((( tbh ... i'm gonna try and sit on this one until both DLCs are out and then give the game a proper replay i reckon ... maybe ... )))

((( tbh ... i'm gonna try and sit on this one until both DLCs are out and then give the game a proper replay i reckon ... maybe ... )))

That's what I've done with the last two games: Wait for all the DLC to come out then grab on the next Steam summer sale ...

Bought Abzû, because I absolutely loved Journey and it looked like a lush game to chill out with. Not feeling it at all, something's off.

Any game that I see that essentially says "IF YOU LOVED [iNSERT VAGUELY SIMILAR GAME HERE]...", I have found it usually isn't. I looked at it, and thought it was pretty poor and honestly didn't see the Journey connection everyone was making. 

Dark Souls III dlc trailer is out !! time for HYPE all over again. 

That looks amazing - I always like the winter environments in Dark Souls. The one in the DSII DLC was one of my favourite parts... those crystal reindeers tho...

Does it seem to you that DSIII died off pretty quickly after release (moreso than DSII)? I dunno, but I practically forgot about it after beating it and doing PVP for awhile.

looking forward to getting back into the world on Nioh with the new demo that came out today on ps4.

I saw that a new demo came out, and actually unlocks some DLC if you beat the demo? I wanna try this again, as I liked the original demo. Will be interesting to see how much more they've been able to refine it.

Inside is finally out for PS4 - need to pick that up!

Is anyone besides Joyrex on the Titanfall demo?

i tried it but it looked and felt really bad. my buddy came over and we played advanced warfare instead which is almost 3 years old? and it played so much better =\

doom is $20 new at gamestop so i'm thinking of price matching that at bestbuy if it's still valid tomorrow

Inside is finally out for PS4 - need to pick that up!

Sweet, that's my evening sorted then!

Oh, and Abzû is made by the art director of Journey (and Flower), and the music is by the same composer, so the connection is not that far fetched.

Edited by Gocab

Guest bitroast

i constantly get that little melody stuck in my head.. soo nice. 

very keen to check out obduction. glad it came out to strong reviews :^)

Guest bitroast

Does it seem to you that DSIII died off pretty quickly after release (moreso than DSII)? I dunno, but I practically forgot about it after beating it and doing PVP for awhile.

my thoughts on this ... apologies for following wall of text:: 

i reckon ds3 is fundamentally a great game.. but in comparison to the previous games it's easy to be nitpicky. 

for me personally.. the removal of the open-ended integrated 3d "metroid-vania" world design is one stinger that probably bugs me more than anything else. it's not just an appreciation thing for the design of ds1 ... but there's something about the constant onslaught of choices and having to learn the best route and make up your own decisions .. having the capacity to outright walk in the wrong direction and not immediately realise, that added a lot to the immersion and overall difficulty (and overcoming of difficulty) of the earlier games. 

ds3 still has branching paths but to a much lesser extent. the game world even visually evokes a literal straight line, with the player's goal being following the giant linear wall downwards. 

the interconnected world design also plays a big part into replayability. 

i can replay ds1 from scratch and straight off the bat i could go to a. undead burg, b. the catacombs c. new londo ruins d. with the key, you can work your way through valley of drakes and sneak into bighttown e. the forest, etc.etc.etc. 

replaying ds3 = following more or less the exact same route. 

there's also the obligation thing of tying the series back to ds1 and ds2, and bringing closure to it all. which more than anything made the game feel like a big glorified nostalgic homage to ds1. which seems weird to me considering how still relatively new and replayable ds1 still is (especially to the hardcore devoted fanbase who may or may not be replaying the game every couple years/months). 

i think more than anything, from a new dark souls/fromsoftware game, i'd more just want a fresh new experience ... and there's something about ds3 that feels just a smidge uninspired .. especially after looking at bloodborne and seeing how fresh and full of inspiration that was. it felt like fresh blood. 

i guess you could argue it's also .. more to do with the fact that it's the fifth (counting demons souls and bloodborne) game in a series that largely plays the same (re-iterating on itself and improving the formula, absolutely, but they all largely play the same). so there's the burnout factor as well. tied in with my previous points. 

yeah. i'd agree that it died off pretty quickly after release ... but for me personally i can kind of understand the why. 

again, i still think ds3 is a great game. just easy to nitpick:^)

^agreed on all points.

To further the DS3 lack of replayability, I'd say that yes it's all that above, but there's a bit more also that everyone is on top of this game from day one, so any mystery that was similar to the first game (mechanics, triggers for events, etc.) was quickly discovered and documented and had 25 YouTube tutorials dedicated within a few days of the game being out...which was itself botched being that it came out almost a month early in Japan and to special early players. That lack of mystery and questions doesn't help the desire to replay the game, at least to me and to some;that was much of my draw into the first games.

Hell, even in Bloodborne there were secrets being found in the chalice dungeons months after release.