Alright, let's get this trainwreck back on track!

Did I mention that I watched Leviathan already? Man, what a boring movie. It had its moments but overall it was a fucking snorefest.

Did I mention that I watched Leviathan already? Man, what a boring movie. It had its moments but overall it was a fucking snorefest.

Dang! 2014 Leviathan or 2012 Leviathan? If it's the latter I've been somewhat looking forward to re-watching it again properly, however i'm always putting it on the longest of fingers - the first time I saw it (or rather 12minutes worth) was randomly popping into it knowing nothing about it and being swooped up in overall gritty aesthetic and sound...then the power cut and they couldn't restart the film, which funnily enough somewhat added to the experience...

Blue Ruin

Wasn't really taken by it - really nice cinematography, and even more impressive after learning it was shot on a shoe-string kickstater budget, so fair dues, but it just didn't really shake 'the revenge flick' tropes enough for what it was going for, was it trying to be art house and a lil' postmodern? If so, didn't really work - standard revenge film that was nicely shot.

the last two pages are a lol, but anyway,

Exists - Halfway through you could have replaced the actors with different people and I probably wouldn't have noticed. Made by the guy who done Blair Witch and proves that was definitely lightning in a bottle as he has got far worse.

wait, just seen he done Lovely Molly which wasn't complete shit, how did he make this film? fucking hell.

Edited by tec

Blue Ruin

Wasn't really taken by it - really nice cinematography, and even more impressive after learning it was shot on a shoe-string kickstater budget, so fair dues, but it just didn't really shake 'the revenge flick' tropes enough for what it was going for, was it trying to be art house and a lil' postmodern? If so, didn't really work - standard revenge film that was nicely shot.

Had the same thoughts about this film, everyone loved it and I really wanted to like it but i felt like it was very surface level and didn't really have a lot else going along. I guess it was trying to be minimalist. And I'm not going to judge a low budget movie better or a high budget movie worse.

15811132566_e511a89e2d_m.jpg

nerds go into the desert to dig up copies of a shitty game buried in 1982. actually turned out somewhat interesting (mainly) because they gave a history of atari and the birth of home video game consoles, but the actual climax of the film (the digging up) was anti-climatic

15811132566_e511a89e2d_m.jpg

nerds go into the desert to dig up copies of a shitty game buried in 1982. actually turned out somewhat interesting (mainly) because they gave a history of atari and the birth of home video game consoles, but the actual climax of the film (the digging up) was anti-climatic

Still got ET buried in my Atari box somewhere.

49979.jpg

I finally watched this with some trepidation. The moral complexities of AI is perhaps the least original concept anyone could come up with for sci-fi, we've seen this theme multiple times very well done in films for decades, you will know all the films that this has been done, but where could they take it? To their credit, they went 'out there' with it but i was left with the bitter aftertaste of a hybrid of Michael Jackson's 'Heal the world, make it a better place, for you and for me and for the entire human race' / 'Earth Song' / Polygon Window 'If It Really Is Me'. When a film is reminding you of Michael Jackson it's not a good sign because we now know that his lyrics were insincere, he wasn't interested in healing anything apart from his appetite for 'milk', 'jesus juice' and the purest of flesh. Up to a point it hold's your attention when they're curing the disabled people thanks to copying cells to replace damaged cells, you're like 'how bad can this AI be?' ok these humans are all wi-fied up to part of a badass network, but even so, it's still better than suffering the way some of them had been. Unplug the modem's lose the network, and keep all the good part of their AI development, that would have worked. But at the beginning / end we see that phones and laptops are useless and used as doorstops. Technology as a whole has been abandoned and it's just hipsters moping around the streets with retro cameras. A backward step for mankind.

I think that's the point of it, or at least what i thought, that the AI thing wasn't really evil or ihhuman, the others were just scared of it and wanted it gone for virtually no reason

49979.jpg

I finally watched this with some trepidation. The moral complexities of AI is perhaps the least original concept anyone could come up with for sci-fi, we've seen this theme multiple times very well done in films for decades, you will know all the films that this has been done, but where could they take it? To their credit, they went 'out there' with it but i was left with the bitter aftertaste of a hybrid of Michael Jackson's 'Heal the world, make it a better place, for you and for me and for the entire human race' / 'Earth Song' / Polygon Window 'If It Really Is Me'. When a film is reminding you of Michael Jackson it's not a good sign because we now know that his lyrics were insincere, he wasn't interested in healing anything apart from his appetite for 'milk', 'jesus juice' and the purest of flesh. Up to a point it hold's your attention when they're curing the disabled people thanks to copying cells to replace damaged cells, you're like 'how bad can this AI be?' ok these humans are all wi-fied up to part of a badass network, but even so, it's still better than suffering the way some of them had been. Unplug the modem's lose the network, and keep all the good part of their AI development, that would have worked. But at the beginning / end we see that phones and laptops are useless and used as doorstops. Technology as a whole has been abandoned and it's just hipsters moping around the streets with retro cameras. A backward step for mankind.

Great review that. Did you like the quip I heard that Johnny Depp skype'd his performance in from the Bahamas?

Force Majeure

The trailer had me thinking this was going to be funnier than it actually is. Kind of enjoyable observation of fucked up patriarchy. There was a bit of a contradiction in the way it was implied that older fathers are less likely to protect their family in a way that is traditionally expected, compared to young parents, but I guess it might actually be true. I didn't get the cigarette thing at all... that made him seem even more pathetic (ah actually having typed that now i get it,it's it comment on their ultra clean perfect healthy electric toothbrush lifestyle prob being the reason why he such a selfish pussy). I know someone who loves skiing and has similar marital difficulties though and will def recommend it to them. I been in exactly the same situation as the friends in this, just wanting to say "erm we can't really help with this, get therapy."

Edited by tauboo

Dead Snow 2

Fuck yeah!/10

Best movie I've seen so far this year. (no joke)

Did you not find the American characters completely annoying? I loved the first and enjoyed this but the moments they are on screen are utter cringe.

Dead Snow 2

Fuck yeah!/10

Best movie I've seen so far this year. (no joke)

Did you not find the American characters completely annoying? I loved the first and enjoyed this but the moments they are on screen are utter cringe.

They were a bit too much, but the gore made me forget it.

Also, compared to the shitty zombie movies the film studios have been slinging out over the last couple of years this one is Oscar worthy.

kingsmen or the kingsmen or whatever.

meh. not very funny. not really sure what is with the aesthetic of fight scenes missing loads of frames or whatever but the whole church scene was like that and it gets on my nerves

Watched Badlands by Terrance Malick last night. Didn't really get a lot out of it, acting was bland and the story was pretty predictable. Guess this is one of Terrance's more conventional movies. Kind of disappointing because I need to write a paper on Malick and this gave me nothing to chew on