It's not animal abuse it's some cannibal rapists like Jupiter from The Hills Have Eyes. They eat a few women out. Kurt and co. head out to rescue. Great film.

Cool, sounds like my cup of tea.

Exodus: Gods and Kings - 8/10

The wrath of Moses is ace on a big screen. Rameses character arc is pretty sine wave in the first act, hopefully Ridley will release the 4 hour version to reveal this characters motivation more, and also how his dad (John Turturro) got ill so quickly. Apart from that it's very good. It dump's on Noah's arcs.

Time Masters

Was really excited for this being such a fan of Fantastic Planet...but was fairly disappointing :(
Seems like they had a shoe-string budget, really poor and inexpressive animation, some cool ideas floating around, but not enough overall - felt like it was trying to kill time and make up the 'feature length' minutes worth

Some purty' cool old school synth sound track though!

factory city: an incredibly depressing documentary about the 17,000 employees of eupa, a factory that's the size of a small city. the workers live there, shop there, eat there and their kids also go to school there, obviously taught how to become obedient factory workers just like their parents

Anyone seen Bone Tomahawk? Patton Oswalt was singing it's praises on twitter the other day but apparently one scene made him want to go vegan, if there is some animal cruelty shit in it I gots to stay away.

trailer looks alright, but now i've seen all the good parts i don't have to watch the film.

So I need to write a paper for a film class comparing Metropolis to a newer dystopian sci fi film. Any recommendations? Preferably a film that has scholarly papers written about it

there's this film Blade Runner. at one point Harrison Ford is running on rooftops in the rain while the villain is chasing him and fondling a bird. it's pretty lush. not sure many people have heard of it though.

or Zardoz,

you climb into this massive floating head, which is a bit like an acid trip where you get shown how the other half live, then you conquer immortality and dont live forever

Edited by cwmbrancity

So I need to write a paper for a film class comparing Metropolis to a newer dystopian sci fi film. Any recommendations? Preferably a film that has scholarly papers written about it

Maybe AI? Both movies are about robots'n'stuff

comparing Metropolis with Children Of Men will give you an A+

Blade Runner seems like a good candidate, but possibly too old for you?

Maybe the Matrix?

Edited by Gocab

Maybe, robots are good but AI isn't really about industrialization like Metropolis is

comparing Metropolis with Children Of Men will give you an A+

I love Children of Men but I'm having a hard time linking the two films, theres no robots in Children of Men and it's really about a society in ruins rather than an orderly industrialized society like Metropolis

Blade Runner seems like a good candidate, but possibly too old for you?

Maybe the Matrix?

I can use films going back to like 1970 but I honestly hate Blade Runner, shoot me.

Brazil

KJ0HBWl.jpg

marco ferreri is one of my favorite films but i'd never seen this film. one of my friends would swear by it so yesterday i was "forced" to watch it. well, it's meta weird. definitely not conventional filmmaking about an end of the world disaster and what happens afterwards (?)

this movie was so bizarre i had a 1.5hr chat about it after viewing it. chats about films (after viewing them) rarely go past the 30 minute mark.

Animal Kindgom. Cracking australian crime drama, set in 80s Melbourne at the height of their crime wave there. Great performances all round, especially from Ben Mendhelson and the one who played the mum. Great story, simple and effective direction as well.

Terminator Dreamcast - I can watch time travel all day but jeesus this was meandering and derivative. Cameron will reboot it eventually as producer.

Trainwreck - turned it off, Bill Hader needs to do lead roles not be the sidekick every time.