11.jpg

Nice one Joel, this was really good. Very impressive. Twisty and turny, engrossing, great performances. First role I've seen Bateman play non comedy and he was great. Real bastard of a character he brought to life.

11.jpg

Nice one Joel, this was really good. Very impressive. Twisty and turny, engrossing, great performances. First role I've seen Bateman play non comedy and he was great. Real bastard of a character he brought to life.

Gordo is the only likeable character in this film defo. Likeable send up of suburban life in a modern city. Rebecca Hall is a perennial itch giver.

OK, kind of drunk maybe but I just saw The Martian in the theatre and I already declared it this generations Armageddon. How they can ruin a movie with so much cool set ups is beyond me, what an eternal shitfest.

To summarize: picture an 80's montage, South Park style. Except for the emotions. End of movie. And don't forget the cliché of someone explaining things in jargon and someone else asking 'to have it translated in English please'.

And don't forget the cliché of someone explaining things in jargon and someone else asking 'to have it translated in English please'.

oh really they did that, how are these imagined dumb people going to raise their consciousness if we keep bringing everything down to that level, and what's wrong with them having moments that they don't understand, they probably aren't listening anyway, they're too busy eating loudly during the quiet bits and oggling the back of girl's necks.

pixels - a dead centre short duration kids' movie. in that sense it wasn't that bad, i don't see what the problem was, it bopped along, wasn't tragic.

OK, kind of drunk maybe but I just saw The Martian in the theatre and I already declared it this generations Armageddon. How they can ruin a movie with so much cool set ups is beyond me, what an eternal shitfest.

To summarize: picture an 80's montage, South Park style. Except for the emotions. End of movie. And don't forget the cliché of someone explaining things in jargon and someone else asking 'to have it translated in English please'.

I cringed so hard in the theater when he said that, and i could feel it coming. Have writers gotten lazy? I guess most people didn't notice

If the content is good and meaningful I don't mind this animation style too much, it's not that bad.

But has anything new actually been added throughout the GITS sequels and series spin offs? Or do they all just milk the great ideas of the original.

I saw Innocence which was bad all round, and didn't make it past a couple of episodes of the Stand Alone series which seemed awfully unnecessary and boring.

Ghost In The Shell the original, leave it at that.

Stand Alone Complex was infinitely better than the original movie, which wasn't great really. The new Arise series has been alright, the plot hasn't been anywhere near as complex, and requires far less pausing to read the subtitles. I've not seen the latest one though, is there subbed version available, because that dub sounds awful?

subs are there, through the usual channels. i've only watched the first 2 of the 4 one hour prequals and one episode of the new series, been a bit slack, the first two prequals were nicely rendered, didn't suck and the series seemed to be going somewhere, we'll see when we get around to it though. i also agree that the sac was better than the first film. first film had an impact when it came out though.

I've heard so much praise for Stand alone, but I don't get it. To me it felt like a typical action based anime series based loosely on the original characters.

The original had a unique atmosphere about it, reminiscent of a PKD novel. Alot of the dialogue scenes were like still pictures with added sound, music was perfect and those scenes floating through the city, so memorable.

i think it was because at the time it was a very nice integration for the first time really of clean computer effects in an anime series. You can't expect it to have all the hooplah and attention to detail of a film. Admittedly i haven't seen the film since the 90's so don't take my judgement very seriously, maybe it's epic and i just forgot. [-; I just recall SAC kicking arse at the time.

I've heard so much praise for Stand alone, but I don't get it. To me it felt like a typical action based anime series based loosely on the original characters.

that's weird, I thought if anything it was a bit too heavy on the philosophical/political dialog (to the extent that it was hard to keep track of the plot at times and I often had to pause the video to keep up with the subs). there was action stuff there of course, but it wasn't the focus of the show IMHO.

Is sicario getting a proper release stateside? / EU?

full of uk actors so kicking off here. it's deffo the best film i have seen in the cinema this year, and i went twice. go see

Edited by fenton

sicario - quite good. check it out. maybe not maximum echelon level or whatever but definitely a good one

lol. i liked it but i see what you mean. i'm just so starved for good sci-fi that i'll take something half-decent gladly. i was pissed that they made mars look like arizona. this is the one planet that we know what it looks like, and quite well. it wouldnt have been hard for them to figure out how to make it look like mars, but they decided it needed to look like a funky arizona. some producer or effects manager decided mars doesnt look enough like arizona. one of the cool things about mars is that its so small, you see the curvature of the planet by looking at the horizon, but they never had a horizon shot because matt damon was always inside a canyon wherever he went. and mars doesnt look like narrow canyons everywhere, most of the place has a very vast look with very gradual inclines, and very distinct, gnarly rocks (not gnarly like those funky arizona rocks, gnarly like you can see millions of years of a different kind of erosion), but fuck that, sand and weird canyons is what we're going with.

Edited by very honest

sicario - quite good. check it out. maybe not maximum echelon level or whatever but definitely a good one

lol. i liked it but i see what you mean. i'm just so starved for good sci-fi that i'll take something half-decent gladly. i was pissed that they made mars look like arizona. this is the one planet that we know what it looks like, and quite well. it wouldnt have been hard for them to figure out how to make it look like mars, but they decided it needed to look like a funky arizona. some producer or effects manager decided mars doesnt look enough like arizona. one of the cool things about mars is that its so small, you see the curvature of the planet by looking at the horizon, but they never had a horizon shot because matt damon was always inside a canyon wherever he went. and mars doesnt look like narrow canyons everywhere, most of the place has a very vast look with very gradual inclines, and very distinct, gnarly rocks (not gnarly like those funky arizona rocks, gnarly like you can see millions of years of a different kind of erosion), but fuck that, sand and weird canyons is what we're going with.

Funny how your technical remark from the standpoint of liking it makes the film seem much more shittier than Herr Jan's description (i didn't watch it). What the actual fuck, couldn't they make Mars look like Mars in 2015, fuck me.

The Lobster - good stuff. I hadn't heard anything about it until my girlfriend suggested we go. Dark and absurb humour, really funny.

I recall David Lynch was very complimentary towards this director's previous film Dogtooth, like it was one of the best films he saw in years.

Funny how your technical remark from the standpoint of liking it makes the film seem much more shittier than Herr Jan's description (i didn't watch it). What the actual fuck, couldn't they make Mars look like Mars in 2015, fuck me.

And they forgot to remove CLOUDS from the sky :catrage:

There's so much more wrong with this movie that I just couldn't utter in that drunken state at 4:30am. It's not like I wasn't entertained though, the ranting and facepalming during the movie made the evening all the more fun, but I was definitely expecting something more serious and atmospheric. At no point did I sympathize with Matt Damon and his 'unfortunate' situation. His only personality trait / concern was bitching about a being stuck on MARS with a DISCO CD (THE HORROR). Which brings me to the worst aspect of the movie:

THE ENTIRE SOUNDTRACK WAS IRONIC. I could've just stayed on watmm for that :dadjoke:

Also, like I said, every time there was a problem arising it would take about 3 minutes to have it solved. They even flatout said it:

"Well, he should be good by now, that is, if everything goes well"

*Things go to absolute shit immediately after that sentence*

*Damon figures out a plan and fixes it WITH DUCKTAPE within 2 minutes*

*7 months later*

"And that's why, kids, having shit on Mars is convenient"

*end of movie*

It wasn't until the credits rolled that I discovered it was a Ridley Scott movie. I thought it was an Emmerich or Michael Bay movie which would explain it, but Ridley?!