The Gift

very good, great acting, original script, atmosphere, tightly if unambitiously directed.

Liked the way it lurched from obvious thriller, to more conventional drama, and back again, never left you quite sure what was going on and who was in control and what they were capable of. Bateman was great as thoroughly awful human being, rare film where you end up rooting for the antagonist in a thriller.

The Gift

very good, great acting, original script, atmosphere, tightly if unambitiously directed.

Liked the way it lurched from obvious thriller, to more conventional drama, and back again, never left you quite sure what was going on and who was in control and what they were capable of. Bateman was great as thoroughly awful human being, rare film where you end up rooting for the antagonist in a thriller.

loved that one too

Man Up - 10/10

(it's a rom com, but just about a perfect one)

this one? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470705/

quite a coincidence if thats what you've seen. i saw it yesterday myself. i liked its claustraphobic vibe and the acting was decent, but it really got too stagey and over the top towards the end and the resolution is kinda dull. it's just very linear, though watching people gradually lose it and this spiraling down is somewhat interesting.

Edited by eugene

new fantastic four film - it was an hour thirty nine long, which is quite short for one of these superhero things and i had heard that the studio had quite deeply cut the film as per the director complaining about it that happening to it, so this leaves me wondering what they cut out and how it would have effected my feelings on the film. As it stands fantastic 4 was quite a pacey thing, everything sought to move the plot forward, as soon as doom was introduced though there was an element of 'fight the powers that be' along with 'old flame love tension', the former i had read some months ago was probably what they had cut more of, philosophical speeches, the authority figures from the government and corporations being dicks. hrmm, anyway, i would rather have had watched this longer uncut piece as it would have filled out my experience in that world which wasn't all that bad, but not particularly interesting either. If the cuts were all love triangle bullshit in an action fantasy movie though, i'm glad they're gone.

minions - started watching then didn't give a fuck .. pretty dire.

I love that film, grim as fuck.

It might feel 'stagey' because it's an adaptation of a play.

Oops, missed a whole page. Was talking about Bug.

yeah, I watched it cos you mentioned it in CHATMM.

it's more of a dark comedy than a horror film. it nails the conspiracy/noided mindset in many ways, I found myself laughing a lot. but just like... it's just lol/what. I basically watched the whole second half of the film like

FQdoKPH.gif

My son My son what have ye done?

All you need to know is that Brad Dourif takes this film by the balls and says "The only thing Greeks know how to play with is each others balls.." unintentionally one of the funniest films I've ever seen. Sometimes you can see the actors looking at each other trying to work out how to react next, too realistic at times - also little touches of the film using real locations and giving people water to drink as it's hot. Sometimes a person's refusal to go along with everything has to be applauded, this film says not all mental illness is bad, though the end result here is obviously terrible.

Sevigny's Wool Cardigan/10

that was a very strange film, hard to know what to make of it. I think I may have been very drunk when I watched it though, not sure that helped.

Michael Shannon is always a very strong presence on-screen at least.

JGCTfxd.jpg

this was brilliant. basically a bollywood remake of a nightmare on elm street: except freddy kruger is known as mekhaal, the monster of time and death. for reasons that aren't explained, he's terrorizing anita (the ultra gorgeous archana puran singh) and in doing so, he ends up fucking up the lives of all her friends. he spares her parents though until the very end when her misery and some domestic issues begin to tear the family apart (sort of).

i can't even begin to tell you how awesome this was: and because it's bollywood, there are a couple of compulsory musical numbers, reaching a penultimate climax with the classic disco frenzy of jane jaan behon mein aa ja

tale of tales (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3278330/) - i generally hate everything related to fairy tales and multiple unrelated storylines within one film but i was curious how a director responsible for this pretty damn unforgettable scene (and the whole film in general) will tackle something like that. at first it seemed like it's just being a contrarian to hollywood/disney treatment of fairy tales with its abundance of boobs, freaks, nonchalant animal cruelty, blatant women objectification and just general macabreness without anything really profound to offer. but as it went on it sort of did manage to gradually weave it's own thing and pick your interest with its awkward logic. in some sense it kinda reminded me of that thing that was once posted here were some professional painter recreated children's paintings of various things and creatures in a very realistic manner. the tales themselves are pretty simplistic and binary but when you portray them like he did with such lavish production and that european matter-of-factness and intertwine them to some degree, they do get a new life and new meanings. so a pretty satisfying "hmmm" after this one.

The Strangers - I watched this as it was in the AV Club's 25 best horror's since 2000 list and I'm not sure why, it has a couple of okay moments but the leads are so passive and dumb, I was almost screaming at them to fight back. The French home invasion horror Ils is far superior.