the bond franchise will never do anything better than this

https://youtu.be/pZekeE9TsL4?t=4m9s

o my lol

I've never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies unless I did really young and totally forgot about it.

It's too late.

Edited by doublename

the bond franchise will never do anything better than this

https://youtu.be/pZekeE9TsL4?t=4m9s

Amazing !

War On Everyone

I think The Nice Guys might be a thousand times better than this. You might think, a thousand? That's a lot. Not even 500 times, or 100 times greater? I don't mind a comedy film being as nihilistic as it likes, as long as it's funny and not boring. I didn't laugh once, I mostly struggled to detect where the humour might lie, the characters are uncaring, wilfully flippant hateful bastards (..there?), it has no story worth knowing or bothering to make sense of, there's no action and when there is (shooting, running) it's badly shot shit. I spent too long wondering; that isn't that Jamie Dornen is it? What a look-a-like! How about that.

It's 98 minutes, feels like two or more hours, begins aimlessly in a laid back way like a hangout film but without the wit to make it worthwhile, I got 40 minutes in and wondered; why did they bother making this? It didn't seem like they cared, that there was anything they were burning to just unleash on the world. There's a scene where the two cops are on a street corner waiting and a lad on a bicycle rides up and says; heh, what you doing? Loitering with intent, says the cop. Fuck off!, says the lad. Fuck off! say the cops. Fuck off! says the lad. Fuck off! say the cops. The film is just scenes like that stitched together.

I prefer Martin McDonaugh. Seven Psychopaths is no masterpiece, but I feel like after this I could list a lot of very good stuff from that film. And In Bruges > everything else.

I think it's easy to overlook how bad this film is and just let it off easy, but equally easy to re-watch bits again and think; it looks quite nice, it's alright really. 

3/10

I Am Not A Serial Killer

Can a film disappoint when your expectations aren't based on anything other than, at least, a rotten tomatoes score of 93%? I love its direction, its music, its setting, the lead being someone grappling with his fascination with murder, I like the ambiguity of whether he's responsible for the murders, I like his interactions with the bully and his more interesting characteristics eeking out. It lost me when it moved from the lead being fascinated with serial killers he'd read in the news to one he's following in the film. His motivations I can't understand, his decisions and actions are unfathomable, and worse he becomes less interesting through it all, his unique traits hidden underneath the constant fear he shows to the point where I didn't see the reason for the film shaping everything around his tortured nature, it doesn't take advantage of it. He's a frustratingly passive voyeur and no matter how much I try to work out why...I can't. You think; there's a few ways this film can go. He could follow the killer to enjoy the murders vicariously through him, but..he doesn't. Maybe he wants to become a partner...but he doesn't. He's not excited by the murders, he walks through the crime scene in horror. At that point, I was frustrated enough to think that he's gonna be caught and blamed and thought that would be weak given how idiotic he'd be to get caught like that. Seeing how the film played out I'd rather it took that route. He just becomes more withdrawn, and whether it was bravado or not he needs to talk to his mate or his therapist or the bully for his dark thoughts to come out.

He was so paralysed with fear witnessing the murder of the cop he doesn't think to film it, or capture him in the act again.

The film alludes to the supernatural nature of the killer many times, like literally spells it out, and yet it was still a total wtf moment when this charred black alien climbs out of his body, which for me just said so much for how it jars, because there's no logical reason for the film choosing to go down that route, like, at all. Besides it being based on a book and it being cool. It's a genre mash up but I don't think it works beyond the wtf nature of the reveal.

So...he just sort of antagonizes the killer, apparently annoyed at the lack of consistency in the murders. It's all moodily shot on film, but it never is scary. The 'lets buy a GPS tracker and place it in your car, not to follow you but to know when you're not in your house so that I can sneak into your wife's bedroom and take photos of her sleeping and then send them to you on your phone and then I'll try to suffocate her, or appear to do so...I think...for some reason' probably makes less sense than anything I've ever seen in a film. Because he's angry with the killer and wants to let him know that? Because that's one way to stop him from killing? Rather than, I dunno, risk him killing everyone you've ever known? Like the therapist who, somehow, moments after you phone him meets the killer who is driving back to his house? Then he drags the therapist to the woods, somehow, on his own, at night.

How about, I dunno, you capture the killer on video, show police, let them prepare themselves for his arrest? I know, crazy.

6/10

forgetting sarah marshall (don't ask)

i feel like i heard for years that this was funnier than you'd think but it was a horrible shit movie.

it just felt like jason segal wrote a movie where he got to be naked with really attractive girls (mila kunis, my god)

rams

probably my fav movie of 2016 (everything was shit)

two elderly icelandic brothers haven't spoken for 40 years even tho they own neighboring sheep farms. their sheep get sick... heartwarming hijinks ensue. had a dark but moving end. iceland is funny

lalaland was decent. very well done. ryan tickled the hell out of those ivories. the plot was paper thin but didn't really matter. the main melodic themes were really good

*sings city of stars ad nauseum*

Hey dumb question probably but does anyone buy/stream from Amazon? is the quality any good?

I use Amazon Prime Video - quality is great 1080p, not yet 4k. In terms of content its slightly light compared to Netflix but its a great service bundled with all their other stuff. 

Watched Birdy tonight, Alan Parker's films have his look and trademark all over them. Sort of Peter Greenaway filming in the States. Accessible arthouse for the masses. Why go to war when you can project yourself astral like into the sky. Doesn't make it clear that MANY in war often use escapism to move themselves out of traumatic situations (see Kurt Vonnegut). 

Modinespullingyaleg/10

3844.jpg

Edited by Echolalia

Watched Zoolander 2. Wasn't quite as many laughs as the first, but it followed suit well enough. Stiller directing it probably held it back, he didn't go all out funny as that sort of films needs....he seemed too interested in upping the quality of fight scenes and basically just spending money to seem like a real director.

watched Kes last night which was v good. loved the music. the idea of the average American watching this film and trying to understand the accents gave me a hearty chuckle

Been curious to see this, Keaton always turns in a good performance, and he's been all over the late night TV circuit promoting it, saying it doesn't flinch at the ugliness of this man at all.  Funny to hear MK stories of starting out on the Mr. Rogers Show in the crew, and how they were all absolute stoner ex-hippies.

Kaili Blues - lovely film, bit uneven but phenomenal for a first feature - highly recommended if you dig low fantasy/psychological stuff

also rewatched The Witch and now can safely say it's among my very favorite horror films (and films in general). SO GOOD, WHY CAN'T EVERY HORROR FILM BE AWESOME AND TASTEFUL AND CREATIVE AND STYLIN that would make life so much more bearable

Been curious to see this, Keaton always turns in a good performance, and he's been all over the late night TV circuit promoting it, saying it doesn't flinch at the ugliness of this man at all.  Funny to hear MK stories of starting out on the Mr. Rogers Show in the crew, and how they were all absolute stoner ex-hippies.

So its like the Social Network except with McDonalds

The Neon Demon, I've never seen something so shallow presented so artfully before. Great music and visuals, but in the end just some dumb shit presented as a think piece.

Refn/10

Edited by Gocab

Recently watched:

Aki Kaurismäki's Leningrad Cowboys Go America

Jean-Luc Godard's Une femme est une femme and Bande à part

All pretty funny films, and inspiring from a storytelling & filmmaking perspective.  Much recommend!

I also watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which was pretty mediocre in comparison to the above.

There's prolly like a 100+ non-Hollywood films that I'd benefit from watching, and I hope to get around to some of them.  My girlfriend has seen so many good films that I have no idea about, so that's great.  The other way, though, I've seen a lot of Hollywood films that she's never seen; I'm talking greats like Back To The Future, Forrest Gump, Terminator 2, etc.!  So film-experience wise, I have a lot to look forward to.

...May we all be protected from watching shitty films.

14416_poster11.jpg

aliens appear over boring cities around the earth in black ped eggs. so government gets a linguist (amy adams) to translate their fart language while a good looking scientist (jeremy renner) comes along for the ride because (hollywood cliche) they need a scientist.

the really good parts were translating the alien fart language- and seeing the aliens for the first time. then after a while i guess the director remembered this was his opportunity to turn this into oscar bait so it turned a little ummm milky(?)

seven ped egg aliens out of ten

Tropical Malady - Loved the first half, was ready to love the second half, and then, all of a sudden, it's like Weerasethakul gave up on the subtle, poetic, surreal quality he was working with. The part about ghosts/spirits is less dreamlike than the romance. A lot of stuff is just spelled out through intertitles. It's a bummer, because I think they're supposed to intertwine and mirror one another, which simply didn't work for me with the atonality.

Hollywood comedies seem to be so cookie cutter these days, they are where acting careers go to die.

Masterminds - unwatchable

Keeping Up With the Jonses - completely predictable, very few laughs

Office Christmas Party - a few lols, pretty implausible throughout.