I don't know how I missed this film in my childhood, 1987's Anguish.  I just saw this and its pretty unique for its time and don't want to give too much away for those that want to check it out.  It stars Zelda Rubinstein she plays the medium in Poltergeist and Michael Lerner who plays Jack Lipnick in Barton Fink.  From IMDb, "A controlling mother uses telepathic powers to send her middle-aged son on a killing spree."

Lion looks like the kind of self-congratulatory pablum that Western cinema will produce to cater to purely Western audiences' romantic desires for uplifting stories from the struggling/impoverished parts of the East, whilst irl they continue to hold the same ignorant/reactionary opinions about real people from that part of the world. does nothing for me.

Wtf go see it then talk shit, it brings light to that aspect of western culture, how they adopt these kids not knowing their pasts and expect them to adjust to a new world their forced into, ect... I'll admit dev Patel is a bit too western looking but you can tell each actor was truly touched by the characters they were portraying. Just see it if you want to see the best film of the year, is all I'm saying.

the ubiquitous love scene in hacksaw ridge where the innocence of the pure white american virgin is given to their sweetheart is sickening...as is the rest of this dire cliche ridden propaganda....

Went to the IFFR in Rotterdam as a volunteer, had a film blowout, must have seen over 40 films, made me wonder how long film has left, I am not sure it will be the same in a few years as leisure habits change. Radical things I saw were 

Manifesto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifesto_(2015_film) - multi screen installation very original piece

The Pure Necessity - reworking of a scene from the animated Jungle Book

It hurt a bit to hear them, in a lot of words, declare that men have no issues worth discussing. 

I haven't seen the film, but I don't think that's a fair characterisation of their views, which is usually that men have lots of issues, but they're issues that will also be fixed by feminism.

(not saying I agree or disagree with that view, jus sayin')

lol, anyone who takes any of those red pillers' argument with anything but complete ridicule can't really be taken seriously, so yeah, definitely gonna watch this one. thanks for the promo.

Edited by eugene

It hurt a bit to hear them, in a lot of words, declare that men have no issues worth discussing. 

I haven't seen the film, but I don't think that's a fair characterisation of their views, which is usually that men have lots of issues, but they're issues that will also be fixed by feminism.

(not saying I agree or disagree with that view, jus sayin')

Yeah, I don't really want to comment much on it. That's just how their conversations came across in the film. The interviews were less "what feminism has to offer men" and more "men are making a mountain out of a molehill" type criticisms. Ultimately, it's probably best to give it a viewing and decide for yourself.

A lot of the MRAs are not very attractive or fit type men. For people that are convinced they are just a bunch of angsty losers there's more than enough of those to have a good laugh over. I must admit they are an easy target for shaming.

They get ridiculed because a lot of why they are MRAs comes down to past personal experiences and a few testimonials from others. The larger statistics simply don't back up what they think is going on:

http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/publications_nsvrc_factsheet_media-packet_statistics-about-sexual-violence_0.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#United_States

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/0779dc2f-4a4e-4386-b847-9ae919735acc/gender-pay-inequality----us-congress-joint-economic-committee.pdf

? the Bare Necessities song with Bhaloo?

Jungle Book's my favourite Disney movie.

Sniper2016poster.jpg

i finally did it. i found it. the worst movie ever made.

btw you can watch this entire movie on youtube. it's one of those bootleg movie channels and the picture is tilted at a weird angle so half the movie is out of frame, the sound is horrendous 32 kbps mp3 quality, the entire movie is washed out like it's been sitting in the sun for two months and it has no effect on its quality.

also don't get excited, that's rob van dam, not van damme.

Edited by keanu reeves

OW2I3V0.jpg

just came back from a pre-screening of this and lol (this was over-the-top). basically like a chinese version of lord of the rings (without the ring, dwarfs, elves etc). there's nothing here you haven't seen (except perhaps the fact that it's all based around the great wall of china) and matt damon doing his best robin hood(esque) impression.

6 really hot chinese chicks dressed in blue jumping off the great wall out of 10

OW2I3V0.jpg

just came back from a pre-screening of this and lol (this was over-the-top). basically like a chinese version of lord of the rings (without the ring, dwarfs, elves etc). there's nothing here you haven't seen (except perhaps the fact that it's all based around the great wall of china) and matt damon doing his best robin hood(esque) impression.

6 really hot chinese chicks dressed in blue jumping off the great wall out of 10

dgl04hc11mhjja0jf.jpg

Edited by iococoi

Sniper2016poster.jpg

i finally did it. i found it. the worst movie ever made.

btw you can watch this entire movie on youtube. it's one of those bootleg movie channels and the picture is tilted at a weird angle so half the movie is out of frame, the sound is horrendous 32 kbps mp3 quality, the entire movie is washed out like it's been sitting in the sun for two months and it has no effect on its quality.

also don't get excited, that's rob van dam, not van damme.

I've been watching a lot of Seagal's new movies with some friends. We watched one a couple of years ago where he fights vampires. I don't think he knew what was going on but when he was filming it. We also watched The Perfect Weapon where he plays the bad guy called The Director. So good.

Shadowman is also worth the watching. It's got a scene where huge Seagal drives around in a small Eastern European car.

OW2I3V0.jpg

dgl04hc11mhjja0jf.jpg

^^^ my feelings exactly when i first saw commander lin

Edited by Nebraska

? the Bare Necessities song with Bhaloo?

Jungle Book's my favourite Disney movie.

More info here -> http://www.damnmagazine.net/2016/12/14/countering-the-classic/ was part of a collab with the gallery Print Room in Rotterdam. 

OW2I3V0.jpg

Seems vaguely familiar

E0AACAFB-861E-4CA2-9ACB-D72D99A0A7F7_zps

Greenberg - perfect (imo)/10

Finally bought this on DVD

and watched it ~3 times

Perfect psychoanalytic gem

(Like all of Baumbach's films...except maybe Mr. Jealousy)

Noah Baumbach knows exactly how to present a neurotic case study

--as well as the sorts of spider-webs our neuroticism(s) tend to get us caught up in--

And then lay out, step by step, what the self-insight/solution/apotheosis might look like

But with Baumbach, the self-insight/apotheosis is always only partial

(e.g. the psychoanalytic kernel "hurt people hurt people" yields the partial insight "I hurt people........hurt people")

And this way true all the way back through his first film Kicking and Screaming*

*Which btw, was my single favorite film for many years

and served as an inner mirror

As the horror of my neuroticism was revealed to me

As, at first I identified with these characters and their snark and cynicism

(And thought "of course this cynical world warrants this cynical regard")

And over the course of a few years I started to realize:

It was the flashbacks and the ending I should've been identifying with...

I'm an unreasonable man, get on my case

Edited by LimpyLoo

High Plains Drifter (1973)

high_plains_drifter_07.jpg

did Clint ever get any more bleak, surreal & well-supported by Malpaso character regulars?

every person on screen has a face you remember, the crimson tide and the ambiguous metaphysical twist

late saturday night gem/10

Edited by cwmbrancity

OW2I3V0.jpg

Seems vaguely familiar

E0AACAFB-861E-4CA2-9ACB-D72D99A0A7F7_zps

Here's my case for giving the film a fair shake:

Maybe these films aren't all ripping each other off

Maybe they're all just referencing the same much-much-older archetypes

e.g. the 'eight immortals' in Chinese Mythology

And of course Lord of the Rings was rather notoriously based on pre-existing archetypes...

I'm an unreasonable man, get on my case

^^^ that's a really good point, and perhaps you're right. i think for me personally, i find too many similarities that never feel genuine: like they just copied something from another film because it worked and applied it to this film that doesn't make it feel completely genuine to the story. 

as an action film i actually enjoyed it, but it didn't feel unique, which i think it could have been had it not carbon copied parts of LOtR (don't worry, they're not searching for or destroying anything). it's enjoyable but in a very hollywood way- especially considering it was made in china, with a chinese director and mostly chinese actors (the women are extremely attractive btw) - so it felt more westernized than chinese (if that makes sense).

i'd still recommend it if you want some fluff, it's just not great.

btw: you addressed 'the eight immortals'. i remember reading about how 7 samurai had to be 7 because in japan, 7 is a sacred number. i don't know if this number is sacred in western culture, so in 'magnificent 7' you wonder what is the justification of them being seven.

Edited by Nebraska

i was going to watch Seven Samurai last night but 3 and a half hours is such an investment. i'll get around to watching it one of these days.

i watched Throne Of Blood instead though which was amazing. i'm not sure if it was because of all the medicine i was jacked up on or what, but the scenes with the witch spooked the fuck out of me. perfectly eerie. fantastic film.

Edited by QQQ