23 hours ago, Squee said:

To me his movies don't require that sort of interpretation - just like real life. Life is confusing but we, individually, make sense of it in ways that don't translate well into an actual explainable explanation. When I tell my girlfriend about a dream I had I can't possibly explain to her how frightened I was. Unless you're a poet, when you talk about a dream, this big grand and horrifying nightmare, becomes smaller. 

I think that's why I prefer watching his movies when I'm alone because I don't need to talk to anyone about it afterwards. I really don't want to hear anyone's opinion about his movies. But then on the other hand, I'm always intrigued by what people have to say about them ?

This is a healthy take, as much as I like the more elaborate discussion and theories. Even in the modern age completely baffling events we'll never fully solve and perpetual quandaries in science. Lynch himself has cited personal examples.  Mystery is at core of his work. 

1 hour ago, Gretsky 3D said:

Saved a screenshot of this, a while ago. Seeing it again always makes my day.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That would've been brilliant - the perfect kinda weird thing that seems 'logical' to have happened to Pete too.

My one and only criticism of The Return is that fucking mockney accent bell. It's hilarious that he has such a pivotal moment in it. I know he got he role based off of him doing a Youtube video of different accents fairly well, but that accent he has in the show is so cringe inducing. I watched the episode where he tells the story about how he got the glove to James Hurley at the weekend and couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculousness of it. Why did Lynch ask him to speak like that? It's arguably the most surreal thing David Lynch has ever done.

• Like 1

the scene explaining the glove legit had me freaked out. it felt like a horrible nightmare. not knowing where it was going or what the dude was going to do with the glove. i hated it so much on my first viewing. i imagine twin peaks: the return will be a lot easier to watch on second viewings but the glove dude really made me uncomfortable first time round. (accent aside). 

Doing a 2nd rewatch right now. Totally a different experience going 'round again. Knowing what is going to happen actually takes a lot of the (unnecessarily uncomfortable) tension out of things, as does being able to watch it at your own pace (e.g., the dougie jones stuff whips along and is MUCH more enjoyable when you aren't waiting a week for X to happen). 

Assume everyone here has already watched but if not, read a theory the other day that has TOTALLY reconfigured the way I'm doing my rewatch and feel compelled to post here (particularly for those who have yet to start a rewatch). It's a good one:

Spoiler

Mr. C. is in a loop, and knows he is in a loop. I don't agree w/ everything this poster posits, but I do think there is enough evidence in the first 7 episodes to really support this. Also, consider that someone else may ALSO be aware of multiple loops and actively is counterplanning (think about, just for example, how Mr. C. plans to have a gun in the glove box, to shoot Ray, but for whatever reason that gun ends up being unloaded when he goes to use it). 

On 7/30/2019 at 1:59 PM, Squee said:

I really don't buy into whole Freudian thing when it comes to Lynch's movies. To me his movies don't require that sort of interpretation - just like real life. Life is confusing but we, individually, make sense of it in ways that don't translate well into an actual explainable explanation. When I tell my girlfriend about a dream I had I can't possibly explain to her how frightened I was. Unless you're a poet, when you talk about a dream, this big grand and horrifying nightmare, becomes smaller. 

I think that's why I prefer watching his movies when I'm alone because I don't need to talk to anyone about it afterwards. I really don't want to hear anyone's opinion about his movies. But then on the other hand, I'm always intrigued by what people have to say about them ?

I hear ya, but the thing that's great about Lynches work is not that you have to read into them but that you can. He and Kubrick's films have so many layers and depths that you could talk about them forever and never get to the bottom of them. You cold watch them over and over again and see a different movie every time. You can go and read about how other people view the plot, characters and themes, and if will open up room after room of thoughts and feelings and emotions. If that isn't great film-making I don't know what is.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MadameChaos said:

I hear ya, but the thing that's great about Lynches work is not that you have to read into them but that you can. He and Kubrick's films have so many layers and depths that you could talk about them forever and never get to the bottom of them. You cold watch them over and over again and see a different movie every time. You can go and read about how other people view the plot, characters and themes, and if will open up room after room of thoughts and feelings and emotions. If that isn't great film-making I don't know what is.

It's the best!

4 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Doing a 2nd rewatch right now. Totally a different experience going 'round again. Knowing what is going to happen actually takes a lot of the (unnecessarily uncomfortable) tension out of things, as does being able to watch it at your own pace (e.g., the dougie jones stuff whips along and is MUCH more enjoyable when you aren't waiting a week for X to happen). 

Assume everyone here has already watched but if not, read a theory the other day that has TOTALLY reconfigured the way I'm doing my rewatch and feel compelled to post here (particularly for those who have yet to start a rewatch). It's a good one:

Reveal hidden contents

Mr. C. is in a loop, and knows he is in a loop. I don't agree w/ everything this poster posits, but I do think there is enough evidence in the first 7 episodes to really support this. Also, consider that someone else may ALSO be aware of multiple loops and actively is counterplanning (think about, just for example, how Mr. C. plans to have a gun in the glove box, to shoot Ray, but for whatever reason that gun ends up being unloaded when he goes to use it). 

Yeah that's a pretty neat theory. I've already done one rewatch, when the bluray came out. Feeling it's time for a third soon though.

I've seen them so many times now that's not necessary. When I was a jobless stoner in my early 20s I used to play seasons 1&2 on repeat in the background while I made drawings/paintings/'music'. Get to the final episode, start it at the pilot again :^)

I did want to do a full watch with my last gf but she didn't really have the attention span. Or just thought it was old and boring, she was younger than me.

46 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

I did want to do a full watch with my last gf but she didn't really have the attention span. Or just thought it was old and boring, she was younger than me.

She read an article on why David Lynch is actually sexist.

• 3 weeks later...

twin-peaks-from-z-to-a-box-set-600x286.j

A 21-disc collection, TWIN PEAKS: FROM Z TO A will be housed in packaging with an exterior adorned by a wraparound vista of haunting and majestic Douglas Fir trees. Once opened, a depiction of the infamous Red Room is revealed with its brown and crème chevron floor and brilliant red curtains. Sitting in front of the red curtain will be an exclusive die-cut acrylic figure of Laura Palmer kissing Special Agent Dale Cooper. This acrylic figure comes inside a plastic display holder held in place by magnets. Fans will have the option of leaving the figure in place inside The Red Room environment or removing and displaying it elsewhere. The plastic holder can also serve as an easel to display individual images from The Red Room Gallery, a curated set of 5” x 5” printed cards depicting memorable moments in The Red Room. Each package will also contain an individually numbered collectible certificate.

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-from-z-to-a-collection/

Hope this becomes available as a download.  I'm interested in the 20 hours of special features but really don''t want any die cast figures or individually numbered certificates.

Edited by user