IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

NSFW

this seems interesting

lol what? Why is this interesting?

Some guy just edited half of the track out?

yeah I wasn't sure, thought I'd run it by you guys

at least I got an id on the pic :cat:

NSFW

this seems interesting

lol what? Why is this interesting?

Some guy just edited half of the track out?

yeah I wasn't sure, thought I'd run it by you guys

at least I got an id on the pic :cat:

lol cheers.

Just making sure you know though.... Mangle 11 is an aphex track released on the rephlexions compilations. =)

T08+4

What's that bell like sound, first heard at 1:45? I recognise it from somewhere. I keep thinking Fairlight CMI but I might be totally wrong. The equipment listed in the ID3 is mostly drum machines and reverbs...

sounds like a synclavier bell preset...as used in "Beat It" and Tangerine Dream's "Exit"...or perhaps a sample of it

http://www.lostturntable.com/?p=1793

Did anybody else learn that Aphex Twin was 'psychic TV aware' from this soundcloud dump? There is a song title with the initials GPO in it and also one of his old unreleased tracks sampled something from PTV. Would be interesting to hear Richard's opinion on Genesis P-Orridge masquerading around for decades claiming that he/PTV invented acid techno/house with Jack the Tab. Being an American I always found the claims by Genesis totally unbelievable, especially since DJ Pierre's famous 12" predated anything PTV was doing in that area, however maybe there is some legitimacy to his claim from a UK point of view? I still find that doubtful, but just curious to hear from anyone who was into this music back then.

1988 :

also a slightly less related connection to Aphex and PTV is Jodey Kendrick's EDM compilations (seem to me) like homages to the Jack the Tab compilations (which were mostly Fred Giannelli and GPO under fake names)

my musical vocabulary about the Uk rave scene around 1988 is very poor though, i only know this stuff because I came from an industrial music background and PTV is more well known for that. Edited by John Ehrlichman

just curious to hear from anyone who was into this music back then.

I wasn't but Genesis P'Orridge has always struck me as a bit of a gobshite attention-seeker. Seems pretty implausible that he 'invented' or consciously defined techno and/or acid house.

I don't know if it was said a couple pages back but I think '179 brk' is a track from the drukqs sessions. It has those chunky drum machine sounds.I have a feeling he made lots of jams like that and the drukqs tracks are the refined product made up from many moments of small tracks like this.

I wasn't but Genesis P'Orridge has always struck me as a bit of a gobshite attention-seeker. Seems pretty implausible that he 'invented' or consciously defined techno and/or acid house.

Pretty much this.

I can't speak with first-hand experience but I don't think a single person in the UK has attributed GPO or Psychic TV with the invention of acid house or house music as a whole... aside from GPO. I seem to recall reading a blog post by William Bennett of Whitehouse fame slamming GPO for claiming it, as well.

Did anybody else learn that Aphex Twin was 'psychic TV aware' from this soundcloud dump? There is a song title with the initials GPO in it and also one of his old unreleased tracks sampled something from PTV. Would be interesting to hear Richard's opinion on Genesis P-Orridge masquerading around for decades claiming that he/PTV invented acid techno/house with Jack the Tab. Being an American I always found the claims by Genesis totally unbelievable, especially since DJ Pierre's famous 12" predated anything PTV was doing in that area, however maybe there is some legitimacy to his claim from a UK point of view? I still find that doubtful, but just curious to hear from anyone who was into this music back then.

I was wondering the exact same thing because of GPO and the 'Wicked' sample (he played 'Wicked' out live too iirc) + Richards talk earlier this year about the Aphex symbol functioning as a magic sigil.

As far as PTV is concerned, I asked two older blokes from around that were really into those 1988 acid albums. It is unquestionable where it came from, but PTV had a lot of influence making acid house more well known in the UK and the Netherlands, according to those house veterans that is. Fred Gianelli would probably disagree though :)

well yes, I think that's pretty widely accepted but Fred gianelli arguably was the one behind most of that era of PTV's sound, not GPO.

Pretty much this.

I can't speak with first-hand experience but I don't think a single person in the UK has attributed GPO or Psychic TV with the invention of acid house or house music as a whole... aside from GPO. I seem to recall reading a blog post by William Bennett of Whitehouse fame slamming GPO for claiming it, as well.

if you can dig that up i'd be interested to read it. I know that his producer (aka the guy who actually made all the music during that era) has a huge grudge against him and obsessively posts about GPO almost every day on facebook, I remember him writing a diatribe debunking GPO's claims. Still though 1988 wasn't that late in the game, so im just wondering GPO's claims aside if Jack the Tab and compilation did have any significant impact on the sound or the scene in the UK at the time.

I was wondering the exact same thing because of GPO and the 'Wicked' sample (he played 'Wicked' out live too iirc) + Richards talk earlier this year about the Aphex symbol functioning as a magic sigil.

As far as PTV is concerned, I asked two older blokes from around that were really into those 1988 acid albums. It is unquestionable where it came from, but PTV had a lot of influence making acid house more well known in the UK and the Netherlands, according to those house veterans that is. Fred Gianelli would probably disagree though :)

hell yeah, good call on the sigil comments. Also isn't there a soundcloud dump track that's called something like TGTG something, not just the same but something else about it seemed like an obvious nod to Throbbing Gristle. It's interesting because I never remember reading anything Richard said before about any of the folks from Throbbing Gristle, maybe he has? I'd be actually surprised if he never gave any props to Chris Carter, a guy who was making songs on an 808 literally before anyone else. Did Richard ever talk about Coil (now that I'm on this mental tangent)? After finally hearing the unreleased 'Backwards' Coil album that was supposed to come out on Trent Reznor's Nothing label I was struck by just how much it seemed influenced by mid period Aphex Twin like On. No doubt in my mind coil were fans of his.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I don't know if it was said a couple pages back but I think '179 brk' is a track from the drukqs sessions. It has those chunky drum machine sounds.I have a feeling he made lots of jams like that and the drukqs tracks are the refined product made up from many moments of small tracks like this.

yeah that track is a pure drukqs blueprint,

missed this part of your post. I guess that's worth something that some rave veterans acknowledge the influence. I would suspect that the UK sister side to whatever acid scene we had here in the states immediately after DJ Pierre was much more LSD /psychedelic fueled, and I could easily see GPO popularizing that angle of it.

well yes, I think that's pretty widely accepted but Fred gianelli arguably was the one behind most of that era of PTV's sound, not GPO.

Fred is a really nice guy too. Met him a couple of times. He lent me his ARP 2600 for a while a few years back. I completely believe he is more responsible for PTV's sound.

How was this soundcloud first discovered? In my excitement to rip all the first streams I think I missed that part. How did we get where we are today, watmm?

userblablabla001 commented on aphextwin soundcloud CCAI track, something like "i also made electronics in 90s, gonna upload my dats" and aphextwin responded to him (to himself, basically). aaaand the rest is history

edit:

on Diskhat ALL Prepared1mixed [snr2mix]

Would like to know the full setup for this track, brilliant music man, I loved your early 90's stuff, I was doing stuff in the early 90's as well similiar to you but I did know about you when I did it, gunna be uploading it slowly to soundcloud, stay tuned!

@user487363530: beautiful stuff, would love to hear more

Yeah, this. Timothy Forward on here was the first to pick up on it before anyone else afaik: http://forum.watmm.com/topic/85636-richard-d-james-soundcloud-a-gift-to-the-fans/page-7

I like the split persona approach, how he commented on himself as someone else who also happens to be himself. Its fits the whole mythos of the aphex twin quite nicely

How was this soundcloud first discovered? In my excitement to rip all the first streams I think I missed that part. How did we get where we are today, watmm?

userblablabla001 commented on aphextwin soundcloud CCAI track, something like "i also made electronics in 90s, gonna upload my dats" and aphextwin responded to him (to himself, basically). aaaand the rest is history

edit:

Would like to know the full setup for this track, brilliant music man, I loved your early 90's stuff, I was doing stuff in the early 90's as well similiar to you but I did know about you when I did it, gunna be uploading it slowly to soundcloud, stay tuned!

@user487363530: beautiful stuff, would love to hear more

Yeah, this. Timothy Forward on here was the first to pick up on it before anyone else afaik: http://forum.watmm.com/topic/85636-richard-d-james-soundcloud-a-gift-to-the-fans/page-7

I like the split persona approach, how he commented on himself as someone else who also happens to be himself. Its fits the whole mythos of the aphex twin quite nicely

haha yeah I almost imagined kid cloudkicker was Richard too as the repentant hater XD

Pls afekx you gave us live heilospan pls hand over laugable butane bob with the pretty ender melody, pretty plox. Xx

I was so happy about that that with Heliosphan Acid worked, I've made myself a 10h edit, but I'm not going to upload it because the flac is 7,6GB and it would take years with my shit upload.