IGNORED

Sci-Fi Film: Ex Machina

chaosmachine

• 2 weeks later...

This was good. A bit predictable, but that's not a detriment in my opinion. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The characters weren't quite as complex as they could've been, as they were there to push the plot more than the other way around, but that's normal in sci-fi. If anything, I think they could've pushed a bit more info and history to widen the scope of the film; it almost feels like a play format, being essentially just four characters in a box for 85% of the run time. From front to back, the film had a well-executed vision that was entertaining to dive into for a couple hours.

The CGI was flawlessly done. I'm not sure there was a single moment of a single shot that distracted me other than to gawk at how cool the robotics and such looked. Music was solid too, Geoff Barrow was part of it in some way or another.

yeah i thought the minimal format was probably the strongest part of it. I'm finding that smaller scope more intimate scifi movies like Primer, Under the skin, this are much more appealing to me these days than any large scope big set piece scifi film. Just got back from my 2nd viewing. i have a non sexual crush on Oscar Issacs

• 1 month later...

It was pretty good, I enjoyed it even though the ideas presented weren't anything particularly new. It wasn't as good as Automata in that respect, but clever and minimalist Sci fi is hard to come by these days, I'll take what I can get.

yeah i thought the minimal format was probably the strongest part of it. I'm finding that smaller scope more intimate scifi movies like Primer, Under the skin, this are much more appealing to me these days than any large scope big set piece scifi film. Just got back from my 2nd viewing. i have a non sexual crush on Oscar Issacs

He's great, pretty sure he was a bit of a no name actor when Drive came out but I've seen him around a lot more now of days, great actor.

he also dances really well

He's great, pretty sure he was a bit of a no name actor when Drive came out but I've seen him around a lot more now of days, great actor.

hahah, the dancing scene was amazing

hahah, the dancing scene was amazing

that's when i knew she was a robot

it was pretty good. I liked the ending. gives you something to talk about with your friends.

I also like the pacing and the way it was put together. kept it from being too cliche.

• 4 years later...

just watched this on DVD; was creepy & dank, & featured jackson pollock's no.5 painting from 1948. its story reminded us of 'the magus' by john fowles (book), but on an A.I. ill vibe trip. q good ! 

spacer.png

Archived