I am really starting to like Garden of Delete - I put it on a whim on Apple Music while driving the other night, and at first I wasn't sure about it, but once it got to "Mutant Standard" it clicked for me.

I love how some of the tracks go off on abstract glitch/sample fuckery tangents and then either snap back into a melodic chorus or abruptly change into something else.

here is explanations of each track from him himself, I suppose, don't read if you'd rather not know what his intentions were:

https://thump.vice.com/en_ca/article/oneohtrix-point-never-told-us-the-story-behind-every-single-track-on-garden-of-delete

edit: actually this is really fun to read because after listening to this album like 40 times I totally know it in and out and a lot of the descriptions he is saying are almost exactly what I was percieving.

Edited by Salvatorin

here is explanations of each track from him himself, I suppose, don't read if you'd rather not know what his intentions were:

https://thump.vice.com/en_ca/article/oneohtrix-point-never-told-us-the-story-behind-every-single-track-on-garden-of-delete

edit: actually this is really fun to read because after listening to this album like 40 times I totally know it in and out and a lot of the descriptions he is saying are almost exactly what I was percieving.

Good interview. It's nice to see musicians willing to talk about samples they've used and thoughts & techniques behind the tracks they've made.

OPN has been pushing this album like a mother fucker, he must be exhausted from all the interviews.

OPN has been pushing this album like a mother fucker, he must be exhausted from all the interviews.

More likely Warp's hand, they've put hype machine to the max. Do labels have much power over making artists take interviews?

I love how some of the tracks go off on abstract glitch/sample fuckery tangents and then either snap back into a melodic chorus or abruptly change into something else.

That for me was disconcerting at first - I had to check my phone and see if the track changed or stopped.

More likely Warp's hand, they've put hype machine to the max. Do labels have much power over making artists take interviews?

It would more along the lines of 'we've just done a whole heap of advertising and album pressing and distribution on your behalf. Could you return the favour and talk to a bunch of white dudes who have only listened to your album on spotify?'

The artist usually finds it difficult to say 'I'd rather not, honestly'. You'd have to be a stern fellow to ignore that kind of guilt.

I listened to this for the first time yesterday, once on my morning commute and again on my evening commute.

It's pretty good, I think. It's more approachable than R Plus 7, which I didn't love as much as everyone else seems to. I don't know, I feel like the hype surrounding this guy's work outweighs what he brings to the table. Maybe my mind will change with more listens. Also my friend's trying to get me to see him live next week, so we'll see.

I wonder if I'd like any of his older work.

Guest Zelmo Swift

I listened to this for the first time yesterday, once on my morning commute and again on my evening commute.

It's pretty good, I think. It's more approachable than R Plus 7, which I didn't love as much as everyone else seems to. I don't know, I feel like the hype surrounding this guy's work outweighs what he brings to the table. Maybe my mind will change with more listens. Also my friend's trying to get me to see him live next week, so we'll see.

I wonder if I'd like any of his older work.

First impression: boring shit. Sick of these goddamned arpeggios.

sidewinder, check out Replica, his only great album. and as far his earlier stuff, it's all reverbed-out Juno compositiions, Behind The Bank, being one of the best of those.

Dan Lopatin is all hype with a few grains of substance. GAMES was actually a great little pop duo, but I guess the egos got too big for them to stay together?

It just pisses me off that this smug intellectual is raking in the dough while artists who are actually doing something fresh and interesting and actually have something human to express get no attention whatsoever.

The best thing Dan Lopatin did besides Replica was putting out Huerco S.'s masterpiece.

Guest Zelmo Swift

pls let me know who this artists who are doing something fresh and interesting and get no attention are...

*awaits a slew of BoC, Tuss and Bibio clones*

WANDA GROUP

pls let me know who this artists who are doing something fresh and interesting and get no attention are...

*awaits a slew of BoC, Tuss and Actress clones*

not sure about right now but I can list a shit load of crucial IDM and spinoff artists that rarely get talked about in here starting with Farmers Manual (Gescom minidisc owes a lot to their Explorers WE album). Let me know if you want a detailed list, watmm has never been very good on the whole at mining their own obscure electronic music palette (save for a few hobbyists in the forum)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Yeah I know Wanda Group (got the Meds release) and Farmers Manual.

Like a lot of you I listen to a LOT of music and, imo, OPN is a true original. Nothing I've heard sounds like him.

Wanda Group is fucking good yeah, but he's too out there for popular consumption imo. He's at Dalglish level. OPN is fucking Bieber compared to those guys.