Guys I hated everything OPN ever did, will I like the new one?

Only if you throw your Rifts Vinyl boxset in your pond beforehand. :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by StocKo

just deleted the garden. more over the top bollox.

I'm not the only one then... We actually gave the physical copy away, to the pond in front of our house. OPN frisbee. lol.

I just didn't speak up because I've already been chastised enough for thinking/vocalizing that it's pretty shitty.

I listened to this thing 5 times, tried to understand. I guess OPN just isn't for me.

should've sold it on discogs ya dingus

• 3 weeks later...

Really, what it is about this album I like is the melodies. The chaotic madness of the song structures, the splicing of styles often not associated with each other, the garish genres included in the mix - all fine, interesting, fascinating, but at heart Garden of Delete is a really beautiful record, and that's what drew me to it. It took a while - my initial response was very much "what the fuck are all these sounds and why are they together?" but reading so much about it made me go back to it a few times and once I was used to the sound of the album I could appreciate the compositional elements, and suddenly bam. Yeah, really beautiful album.

Really, what it is about this album I like is the melodies. The chaotic madness of the song structures, the splicing of styles often not associated with each other, the garish genres included in the mix - all fine, interesting, fascinating, but at heart Garden of Delete is a really beautiful record, and that's what drew me to it. It took a while - my initial response was very much "what the fuck are all these sounds and why are they together?" but reading so much about it made me go back to it a few times and once I was used to the sound of the album I could appreciate the compositional elements, and suddenly bam. Yeah, really beautiful album.

Exactly. Maybe that's something he tried to point out by sharing the MIDI files early - the chord progression of Mutant Standard is beautiful, even played with random MIDI piano sounds. The way it's been recorded then just sublime those progressions :)

steven you can have my extra cd copy. it's unopened

Awe thanks mr =)

I legitimately enjoyed Rifts recently, not my usual cup of tea but it was good.

Edited by StephenG

Guest bitroast

GOD reminds me of R+7. where R+7 is constructing songs and melodic pieces by stitching together different textures and shapes, GOD is constructing songs and melodic pieces by stitching together genres and more extreme contrasting sounds. so.. the end result is pretty different but the two definitely remind me of one another in that in the end it's the "songs" that stand out and resonate.

Have you heard much of 'older gen' OPN, the Rifts comp might be more your thing - http://www.discogs.com/Oneohtrix-Point-Never-Rifts/release/4084811Yaaas, called it :)

You can get it on (3x)CD at a great price directly from the man: http://www.mexicansummer.com/shop/oneohtrix-point-never-rifts/

Yaas. Called it ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

finally found some time to listen to this album properly in the studio.

damn what a long thread tho. can someone sum for me the techniques he used on this album?

daw /synths / processing/ etc?

Edited by hawaii

• 5 weeks later...

So I fell absolutely bonkers in love with this for the first few months it was out. I even got the silver vinyl edition.

But, like all albums I fall too much in love with, it has taken a backseat to my discovering of other albums and tracks. Discovered the brilliance of Rifts (can't wait to get my hands on that sexy 5xLP) and R+7. Working on loving Returnal, working on liking Replica (other than Andro, which is amazing).

Also, how in the hell does OPN have so many obscure tracks on very obscure cassettes? I swear, where the hell am I going to get a good quality version of "Banlieue in 3 Sectors?" The only version I found of it is 16kbps, which is so woefully inadequate that my head would explode but for the track being divine.

I seem to have gotten off topic, so allow me to go back on topic. GoD is my favourite album of 2015. It will certainly be one of those all-time favourite albums. But I've moved on from the honeymoon phase.

Also, Ezra is the best track on the album. Bite me.

I had no idea there was a silver vinyl edition... I don't know if that's still the case but I associate picture discs and colored vinyl with poor (or at least worse) quality, due to the early Warp fiasco (SAWII, Incunabula...), does that still hold nowadays?

Yeah, never heard of the silver edition either...Is it US exclusive ? I'm sure Warp would have marketed the hell of a collector's edition for that album !

Mutant Standard > Ezra btw

EDIT : i'd love the Four Tet remix to be part of a Sticky Drama EP !!!

Edited by StocKo

Yeah, never heard of the silver edition either...Is it US exclusive ? I'm sure Warp would have marketed the hell of a collector's edition for that album !

apparently it's a Vinyl Me Please exclusive, which I just googled and seems to be a subscription service where you get a random record every month for 20 bucks or something like that