RE the track itself.  Overall, lush af. Second half kills me.  But to nitpick, is anyone else NOT in love with the collapsing bit at the center?  In the Houston bootlegs, i just saw it as a pretext for making the second half more lush, and was hoping it would be a bit more refined in the final track.

yeah I agree, it's pretty heavy-handed

the track is pretty good but does it really feel different / like an upgrade from what he was doing in the mid 90s? the sound design is kind of distinctive but surely not any more than it was before he had a massive collection of rare, expensive synths. honestly maybe even less so.

I don't think richard actually has any "next level beats" in store for us--at least not until he finally decides to release them 100 years from now. I'd love to be wrong though

where is there for him to go? unless he starts making autechre tracks i can't see him ever progressing beyond the sound he has. for all his experimentation aphex is still a fairly accessible artist.

Transcription from video (all credit to bridgetocherokee on Reddit who paused who knows how many frames to transcribe this):

this track is called collapse by the way coz when the bass bit kicks in and the tempo starts slowing down its like a collapse of sorts

I'm gathering visual references at the moment is there any other point cloud or other references you like I should look into nope I don't think so.. I still love ascii visuals also.. surprised it never got used more but maybe it has, i don't get out much.. sure,, I'll look into doing 3d ascii point-cloud cross over maybe when you get up close to the point cloud it's look more like ascii...

yeah i see you're doing point-cloud with midi <<yeah i see your point with midi.. but you could just edit tight to the beat manually anyhow can't you? Yeah i could, but with your kind of music, it would take forever With midi files would be instant and tight as f**k

What places to include would be relevant in London? deffo the silver box in elephant and castle that'll be one of the focal points in the video,, a bit like the monolith in 2001 collaged within the Cornish stuff

anything else in London? nah all crap how about sun on cafe next to Clissold park collage stuff, top yeah.. mad how quickly they add woods stuff in that star wars thing...crazy realistic

maybe we should do something with political slant in this video, like how media can manipulate things to make you think

oh been getting into simulation theory of late didn't realise a lot of prominent science are now saying the chance we are living in base reality is about 1 billion to one! love it.. simulations in simulations in simulations for ever probably..god is just an ai

I don't want to accept it although I agree its feasible,, I'd rather think it ?isnt? all these normal people who watch shit like "Britain's got talent" and such like is the proof it's not a simulation, (cos why would you bother simulating that) or its proof we are living in a failed simulation

i cant see why it would be a problem accepting, i quite like the idea I think thats what i hate the most about it,, that it opens the gate for creationism interpretation

yeah well science is not much better, can't explain how life started or what was before big bang and loads of other stuff just evolution and even that has gaping holes

was just chomping on a peanut butter toast with Swedish jam.. thinking the idea that code i.e. us can imagine something is pretty wild code re-writing itself and envisaging the future re-writing of itself this obviously applies to any act of imagination: imagination>making something>then observing it then re-writes ?the future version of itself? as you watch/experience what you made and then repeats if you do it again.

man what kind of jam was that? sounds like it was fermented or something to give this inspiration

and that tip, I've been well into Almond butter and manuka honey lately anyway was thinking if was all a sim,, the technology would be so advanced its probably beyond code ,,, like many levels steps further analogue-digital- like some semi organic technology like in Existenz..

RE the track itself.  Overall, lush af. Second half kills me.  But to nitpick, is anyone else NOT in love with the collapsing bit at the center?  In the Houston bootlegs, i just saw it as a pretext for making the second half more lush, and was hoping it would be a bit more refined in the final track.

the track is pretty good but does it really feel different / like an upgrade from what he was doing in the mid 90s? the sound design is kind of distinctive but surely not any more than it was before he had a massive collection of rare, expensive synths. honestly maybe even less so.

I don't think richard actually has any "next level beats" in store for us--at least not until he finally decides to release them 100 years from now. I'd love to be wrong though

where is there for him to go? unless he starts making autechre tracks i can't see him ever progressing beyond the sound he has. for all his experimentation aphex is still a fairly accessible artist.

my post wasn't necessarily about progression / being next level.  just that the synth-screeches (as in Circlont6a that i mentioned in orig post) as tn put it, I feel are a bit heavy handed.  but on the other hand, theres a giddy mischief to having that smack in the middle of the track that will surely get the most radio play.

2a474e645fd0c62ab7e919nehs.png

- monolithic 'chre release ("the last album was too short")

- divisive Oneohtrix album bizness (and fancy live shows)

- hysteria-fuelled new aphex out of nowhere (just like ol' times)

Warp has been a good egg in 2018. Only thing left to top it off would be them remembering Boards of Canada are still on the roster (?) but perhaps they'll keep them stashed away until the focus turns to nostalgic reflection in the year of Warp30.

Edited by jasondonervan

ask him. he's the one who's been saying that he 'totally has some groundbreaking shit just around the corner, he's just not going to release it quite yet'... for the past four years.

he's got the talent / resources / technical knowledge to do pretty much anything.

but maybe I just personally wish that, if he's going to stick with a very specific sound, he'd go with one I like more than the usual rephlex "braindance" tropes (e.g. releasing saw iii instead).

Finally got to checkout, tried multiple times to pay, but i only got "error processing" msg right back in my face,

and then bleep charged me for two orders  :sad: i'm sure they will correct this, but i ain't happy with how this matter unfolded.

he's a nostalgist who peaked in the late 90s. he's obsessed with gear now and has been for the last decade. if you're looking for innovation there are other artists. i think aphex has settled nicely into making extremely good electronic music that is still built around a pop framework, which is what he's always done well. his days of pushing the genre ahead are probably over.

- hysteria-fulled new aphex out of nowhere (just like ol' times)

Warp has been a good egg in 2018. Only thing left to top it off would be them remembering Boards of Canada are still on the roster (?) but perhaps they'll keep them stashed away until the focus turns to nostalgic reflection in the year of Warp30.

I also would like to know what Squarepusher has to offer tbh. If he steps ups his game from his last release, shit might get intense.

he's a nostalgist who peaked in the late 90s. he's obsessed with gear now and has been for the last decade. if you're looking for innovation there are other artists. i think aphex has settled nicely into making extremely good electronic music that is still built around a pop framework, which is what he's always done well. his days of pushing the genre ahead are probably over.

Not sure if i'd agree, pushing the genre isn't just about what new sounds one can muster from new technologies. I think there is a ton to be said for composition and thats definately my favorite part of what this latest release has got to offer.

Not sure if i'd agree, pushing the genre isn't just about what new sounds one can muster from new technologies. I think there is a ton to be said for composition and thats definately my favorite part of what this latest release has got to offer.

Yeah, and who’s pushing the genre nowadays I’d like to know? Don’t say Autechre...

Is it too soon to be talking about "new favourite track" etc? Probably, but it's fucking good innit! The MP3 obviously sounding a lot nicer than the Youtube balls. This is the stuff I was hoping he'd release, know it's not blowing enough minds for some but it's right up there IMO, can see it having enough depth to keep me going for a good while, like our friend Ziggomatic. 

Pushing the genre, eh – who cares? Good music beats new sounding music because the new gets old fast whereas good music stays fresh a long time. Just my two cents.

Fine track imo.

glad i remembered that 10am eastern is usually when stuff goes live on bleep. looks like there were lots of hiccups after i got my order in at 1005. 

801061942342y7fs3.jpg

- hysteria-fulled new aphex out of nowhere (just like ol' times)

I also would like to know what Squarepusher has to offer tbh. If he steps ups his game from his last release, shit might get intense.

Ooh yeah, that as well  :squarepusher_logo:

While he has sustained the same electronic style for the last 15 years, and gotten very good at it, the thought that he won't innovate again is pretty absurd in my humble opinion. That is what this guy does, he has got 30-40 more years of making music (hopefully), he's probably already got some next-level material with all the new stuff he has gotten recently, such as the MIDI-mutant device, remember even this tune was probably made in 2014/2015 around the same time as Marchromt (that filtered percussion in the back of the mix in the third act really reminds me of the crazy snare in marchromt), so he is just throwing us some amazing post-Syro work atm, the dude has got the potential for absolutely fresh new ideas. I really don't think the question is if he will change the game again, it's when.

funny, how we expect him to do better and better and better, as if we’re not satisfied with the music he’s giving us. just appreciate what is there. he’s not our way to perfection. just a finger pointing at it.

he's a nostalgist who peaked in the late 90s. he's obsessed with gear now and has been for the last decade. if you're looking for innovation there are other artists. i think aphex has settled nicely into making extremely good electronic music that is still built around a pop framework, which is what he's always done well. his days of pushing the genre ahead are probably

he'd need to know music theory a lot more in order to push the envelope and it seems like he's not interested in that. which is very weird to me because the only limiting factor in music composition is your knowledge of theory imo.