IGNORED

Burial - Claustro / State Forest

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice.. Looking forward to this! Though I did get a bit over excited when I got the band camp notification and it said Burial had released a new "Album" for a sec was thinking it was a new full-length ?

I've also been enjoying his recent Luke Slater remix 

Claustro was on the MAH show. Decent track, full on UK garage style (which might not be everyone's thing, but I like it)

There's a radio rip of the full track on the Burial subreddit (probably best I don't link it here, but easy enough to find) and it should be on the BBC site soon too.

While I yearn for a proper Burial LP and am starting to get a little tired of the 2 track EP format he's going with, I will always always be eager to hear new Burial.

Another side note - I know it's been said but those Bleep write-ups are so over the top it's hard to take seriously. I understand the marketing angle but you'd think Jesus was once again walking the earth.

Track is pretty great!

20 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

While I yearn for a proper Burial LP and am starting to get a little tired of the 2 track EP format he's going with, I will always always be eager to hear new Burial.

Yeah, it makes sense if the track's been put out for clubs, not for Burial, who seems to be primarily a listening artist, longer formats make more sense. I'd love a nice compilation of the most recent 11 tracks on a CD or something.

Really enjoying the track, anyway. 

1 hour ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Another side note - I know it's been said but those Bleep write-ups are so over the top it's hard to take seriously. I understand the marketing angle but you'd think Jesus was once again walking the earth.

Track is pretty great!

In this case I forgive it because there are no audio previews. That said boomkat and bleep write-ups are 9 times out of 10 more interesting and vivid than the actual music described

6 hours ago, brisk said:

Claustro was on the MAH show. Decent track, full on UK garage style (which might not be everyone's thing, but I like it)

im not familiar with the genre.. but are really thin sounding drums part of it, or is that just a burial thing?

some burial tracks with that type of drum mix work well (when it plays off the sub-bass as in street halo) but this track it just sounds like something is wrong with my speakers and i need to keep turning it up to get any punch.  I know being a radio rip isnt helping but still.

im not familiar with the genre.. but are really thin sounding drums part of it, or is that just a burial thing?
some burial tracks with that type of drum mix work well (when it plays off the sub-bass as in street halo) but this track it just sounds like something is wrong with my speakers and i need to keep turning it up to get any punch.  I know being a radio rip isnt helping but still.
really thin drums are definitely not part of UK Garage style.

UK Garage is about phat bass rattling bass-bins in a customised Renault 5 Turbo.

watch yer bass-bins.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:04 AM, BCM said:

really thin drums are definitely not part of UK Garage style.

UK Garage is about phat bass rattling bass-bins in a customised Renault 5 Turbo.

watch yer bass-bins.

bass bin = subwoofer?  been listening on headphones which can ususally transmit an aspect of sub bass but this (im referring to this release aka the above rip, and some other burial) sound thin as paper

Just not interested in Burial anymore. 

Unknown Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil at the crossroads but got stronger. Unknown Will Bevan took selfies of himself and got weaker.

As the saying goes The Devil has the best tunes....

On 6/3/2019 at 6:32 PM, beer badger said:

Just not interested in Burial anymore. 

This. Just realized it's been 10 years since I was obsessed with Burial in my freshman year in uni. He's done a few solid tunes in these years like Street Halo, but since that EP he's gone bonkers with those 13-minute "tracks" that in reality are 3-4 unfinished sketches thrown onto a timeline with a lot of vinyl noise on top. This is what most of his recent output sounds like. I'm not sure whether it's laziness and lack of creativity or I am too stupid and it's "art". New track sounds wack and those vocals are cheesy. Dude created a whole new genre and was super influential but then lost touch with reality I guess.

To be fair, he's always done music like this. Unite is pretty much a UK Garage tune using all the same techniques (pitched up vocal hook, skittling beats, etc) and is probably my favourite track of his 

I definitely understand the criticism with a lot of his last few records, which definitely gave off the unfinished sketch vibe you describe, but Claustro isn't like that at all. It's a tight, focused track and does what it sets out to do really well IMO.

If you want classic Burial in a recent production, then you need to hear his Deep Summer remix, which is the best thing he's done since Kindred IMO

2 hours ago, lickneonlights said:

I'm not sure whether it's laziness and lack of creativity or I am too stupid and it's "art". 

Hahah flol. That's a classic line.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived