IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

2 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

If every factory had a one month shut down every year, it could really make a difference to our planets future.  And us, as consumers, would get used to it.

yeah i think so. it'd be nice to have a month long break from capitalism every year. so long as the one month shut down also means people just stay home. it would have to be marketed or promoted as an environmental benefit as as opposed to 1 month holiday. china could do that. they seem to be good at inspiring (ordering) people to do stuff for the greater good whatever that might be in the governments eyes. 

• Like 1

I don't think that pausing all factories periodically would solve the problem. I could even imagine that it causes technologically caused rebound effects that would increase energy waste. Instead, all production chains and global trading relationships must be figured out in a completely new way and a maximum of resources must be put into developing green technologies. But that's politically impossible. We are basically doomed.

• Like 2

i'm sure there'd be unforeseen consequences. more women getting pregnant or something. a month long break.. nothing to do but hang out and socialize and get busy. 

after 9-11 the sky cleared up so much from lack of air traffic that the temperature changed. it was so quiet on the beach in san diego. so nice. so clear.  so calming. the scientists took the opportunity to measure the effects of air pollution from planes. the documentary Dimming the Sun was born.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ignatius said:

yeah i think so. it'd be nice to have a month long break from capitalism every year. so long as the one month shut down also means people just stay home. it would have to be marketed or promoted as an environmental benefit as as opposed to 1 month holiday. china could do that. they seem to be good at inspiring (ordering) people to do stuff for the greater good whatever that might be in the governments eyes. 

WHO's assessment stated that mortality rate is roughly 3.8% and 20% of those infected require hospitalization, with 1/5 of those requiring assisted breathing machines. Twice as high for men (almost 5%) as women (little over 2%), and targets *former* smokers twice the amount than both non-smokers and currently smokers.

The biggest risk factors for mortality, from greatest to least: cardiovascular problems or disease, diabetes (type 1 or 2), COPD and Asthma, and finally high blood pressure. This virus uses cells from your lungs and heart to make more of itself, and people who get re-infected have a higher chance of dying because it goes straight for the heart.

Also another thing of note: When the spanish flu came in 1918, the first year it was like any other flu. The next year after it mutated and started killing lots of people, regardless of age.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:

Twice as high for men (almost 5%) as women (little over 2%), and targets *former* smokers twice the amount than both non-smokers and currently smokers..

*starts smoking again*

• Haha 3

what about vaping the weeds? Why no info? is this a cover up?

2 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

WHO's assessment stated that mortality rate is roughly 3.8% and 20% of those infected require hospitalization, with 1/5 of those requiring assisted breathing machines. Twice as high for men (almost 5%) as women (little over 2%), and targets *former* smokers twice the amount than both non-smokers and currently smokers.

The biggest risk factors for mortality, from greatest to least: cardiovascular problems or disease, diabetes (type 1 or 2), COPD and Asthma, and finally high blood pressure. This virus uses cells from your lungs and heart to make more of itself, and people who get re-infected have a higher chance of dying because it goes straight for the heart.

Also another thing of note: When the spanish flu came in 1918, the first year it was like any other flu. The next year after it mutated and started killing lots of people, regardless of age.

Source? Link?

50 minutes ago, auxien said:

vaping weed makes you not only very cool but also cures almost all diseasses. i thought everyone knew this.

very cool, very cool

thanks bro

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

My great grandmother died in that pandemic when my grandpa was only 10 years old.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

My great grandmother died in that pandemic when my grandpa was only 10 years old.

My grandfather's brother died in the Spanish flu epidemic. But it was very lethal in northern Finland.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

A very brief summary of whats in it.

As of 20 February, 2114 of the 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases have died (crude fatality ratio [CFR2] 3.8%) (note: at least some of whom were identified using a case definition that included pulmonary disease). The overall CFR varies by location and intensity of transmission (i.e. 5.8% in Wuhan vs. 0.7% in other areas in China). In China, the overall CFR was higher in the early stages of the outbreak (17.3% for cases with symptom onset from 1- 10 January) and has reduced over time to 0.7% for patients with symptom onset after 1 February (Figure 4). The Joint Mission noted that the standard of care has evolved over the course of the outbreak.

The CFR reduced heavily since the beginning because:

- treatment/diagnosis improved

- (not reported) initial underreporting of non-severe cases (which changes over time. now people with a cough start to worry)

Edited by goDel
  • Like 1

Personally this whole thing is a bit of a meh for me because having been to areas with high malaria risk, dengue, chikv, yellow fever, cholera and fucking bubonic plague epidemics, traveled in China during the H1N1 epidemic (and possibly had it) and swimming in a lake in Africa infested with parasites and treated twice for a possible parasite infection aaand having had some mysterious tropical disease from Indonesia that took weeks of antibiotics to cure and having had both pneumonia and influenza.. I'm not too scared of a little bit of heavier than usual flu virus. If I get sick just gimme some ibuprofen and codeine.

But, some people I know are high-risk, so I'm not going to act like a total dickwad and I'll try not to become a supercarrier or something like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zkom said:

Personally this whole thing is a bit of a meh for me because having been to areas with high malaria risk, dengue, chikv, yellow fever, cholera and fucking bubonic plague epidemics, traveled in China during the H1N1 epidemic (and possibly had it) and swimming in a lake in Africa infested with parasites and treated twice for a possible parasite infection aaand having had some mysterious tropical disease from Indonesia that took weeks of antibiotics to cure and having had both pneumonia and influenza.. I'm not too scared of a little bit of heavier than usual flu virus. If I get sick just gimme some ibuprofen and codeine.

But, some people I know are high-risk, so I'm not going to act like a total dickwad and I'll try not to become a supercarrier or something like that.

If you do, go to Trumps MAGA rallies.

• Burger 1