IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

On 1/28/2021 at 1:57 PM, Braintree said:

I'm also in 1C, but in CA, and I have no idea when that phase will go into effect. I assumed spring time.

i hoped March. I'm in 1c in oregon. but it's looking like some time in april is optimistic. I'm figuring it'll be june before i get the 1st jab unless there's major improvements in vaccine quantity and staffing for giving the vaccine. 

5 hours ago, hijexx said:

Mortician talks about all the bodies not being taken care of in LA right now.

this idiotic youtube entertainer style presentation...

Yeah I get it if you don’t want the vaccine yourself but what a dick move to mess up other people’s day like that.

13 hours ago, usagi said:

this idiotic youtube entertainer style presentation...

I blame YouTube algo for homogenizing all the content. Creators all have to make the same format now to get engagement to make it worthwhile. Thanks compruter

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hijexx said:

I blame YouTube algo for homogenizing all the content. Creators all have to make the same format now to get engagement to make it worthwhile. Thanks compruter

irl continues to be the worst dystopian cyberpunk YA novel series

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

over the last year i've had some arguments w/people who think lockdowns are too costly and the rona isn't as bad as people say because "look at how many people recover" and even after explaining recovery doesn't always mean recovered since people will have life long complications of various kinds from the rona and that there's still way too many deaths in USA because of all the mixed messaging from the complex of trump goons... and lately arguing that reducing the spread is still the smart thing to do because every time the virus replicates through infection it has the opportunity to mutate.. so if the infection rate is slowed and we lock down etc then it may not mutate as often or as much.. still.. some people stick to their guns and the messaging from trump world of a year ago. 

so, good luck america! idiocracy sign is getting stronger. 

• Like 1

won't speak for the world at large but i feel like i'd be more into the lockdown measures here in quebec if they weren't half-assing it so badly, like if they actually shut everything down proper & basically forced people to stay at home for a few weeks. instead we just have this annoying situation where the schools aren't closed down, the infection numbers aren't going down, but most of the things that make a big city worthwhile to live in are shut down, and the government keeps saiyng "okay it'll only be another couple weeks, for real this time", before extending it another month (which is whats been happening consistently since october). small businesses closing left & right but apparently amazon wants to open five warehouses in quebec so woo hoo, welcome to neofeudalism

i hope legault knows what he's setting himself up for if he plans on keeping this curfew going once its warm enough for the average person to want to get drunk & have sex in a park on a friday evening

• Farnsworth 1

Name: mRNA-1273

Manufacturer: ModernaTX, Inc.

Type of vaccine: mRNA

Number of shots: 2 shots, one month (28 days) apart

How given: Shot in the muscle of the upper arm

Does not contain:

Eggs

Preservatives

Latex

:catrecline:

Edited by iococoi

22 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

won't speak for the world at large but i feel like i'd be more into the lockdown measures here in quebec if they weren't half-assing it so badly, like if they actually shut everything down proper & basically forced people to stay at home for a few weeks. instead we just have this annoying situation where the schools aren't closed down, the infection numbers aren't going down, but most of the things that make a big city worthwhile to live in are shut down, and the government keeps saiyng "okay it'll only be another couple weeks, for real this time", before extending it another month (which is whats been happening consistently since october). small businesses closing left & right but apparently amazon wants to open five warehouses in quebec so woo hoo, welcome to neofeudalism

i hope legault knows what he's setting himself up for if he plans on keeping this curfew going once its warm enough for the average person to want to get drunk & have sex in a park on a friday evening

yeah seems to me big part of why it's not under control its because everything was so half assed in quebec

like do it once but do it for real else it will just drag and drag and drag

New Zealand :

Go Hard go Early.

seems the only way

im no expert tho

That’s the benefits of good leadership on an island 1300ish?) miles from Australia. 

The United States and England never stood a chance.

Edited by Upset man
  • Like 1

^ bad leadership is the determining factor, both in the US and the UK. thick, slow conservative cunts who can't answer questions about how to face social/economic problems in an ever-changing world naturally cannot be trusted to handle fast-evolving situations like pandemics either. the difference now is that their incompetence shows very clearly in the form of a mounting human death toll, whereas before it was easier to mask with things like "look how many jobs we created" or "this is a free marketplace of ideas".

not saying that conservatism is the core problem here per se, even if it has had a big hand in the UK's woes of late (not just on covid, on Brexit, on a bunch of other things). bad leadership comes in various forms. Sweden fucked up its covid response and remains adamant that it didn't. so did Belgium. so did any other nation that aimed for herd immunity (a terrible misuse of that concept). meanwhile Australia has a conservative government and we've handled the situation well overall, which I think is due to the importance/influence of our broader public sector and especially public health leadership, over and above our cunt PM and other key cunt politicians.

2 hours ago, prdctvsm said:

uBw5uer.png

to reiterate, bad leadership comes in various forms. I think this is a trite explanation. prioritising the big moneymaking machine over human lives definitely doesn't help, but the society that has made itself dependent on that machine will start to die if it doesn't keep ticking over, so a balance must be struck (whilst also trying to change the machine). also people who think the US/UK are the most capitalist countries on Earth have not lived in 'new money' countries that raced to acquire all the trappings of late capitalism whilst making none of the social progress, e.g. the UAE. it's a class hellscape over there, and they seem to have handled covid ok, in terms of lives anyway.

the US and the UK fucked up because of the men with the yee yee ass haircuts, first and foremost. the reasons behind why the people put them in power in the first place are more complex and difficult to unpack.

• Like 6

It seems to me that dawdling on initial lockdown was huge. 3 weeks in an exponential growth situation is huge. I patched work when I saw Italy fall because I got paranoid about how fatal it was, but my work was still serving drunk teams for a full 2 weeks before the government lockdown. The first lockdown was brutal, and it worked. The Christmas tiered lockdowns have been a shitshow.

Edited by pcock
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, usagi said:

^ bad leadership is the determining factor, both in the US and the UK. thick, slow conservative cunts who can't answer questions about how to face social/economic problems in an ever-changing world naturally cannot be trusted to handle fast-evolving situations like pandemics either. the difference now is that their incompetence shows very clearly in the form of a mounting human death toll, whereas before it was easier to mask with things like "look how many jobs we created" or "this is a free marketplace of ideas".

not saying that conservatism is the core problem here per se, even if it has had a big hand in the UK's woes of late (not just on covid, on Brexit, on a bunch of other things). bad leadership comes in various forms.

there's some suggestion that what currently passes as conservative in the UK is not as it would be historically described as being. a big clue on that front is old conservative politicians popping up and saying they fucked it. i suspect we're getting a distorted form of conservative approach that isn't conserving as much as it's flailing and trying not to get killed off completely. inherent lack of ability in those in government is a factor, brexit as a priority for choosing cabinet members is another, as is a presumption and portrayal that progressive attitudes are bad because they highlight lack of progress and those that are responsible for being slow and ineffective in what ever they do.

big push from government to have the public paint themselves are dyed in the cloth "good" (like us) or "bad" (like them) rather than accept people in the roles change, and those that chose best candidates for the time could go between voting for a major party or another across their lifetime. there's also been a lot of blatant copying of trump ideas, with the tier system of lockdowns looking like punishment for not being run by conservative MPs or councils, with higher / problematic infection rates in conservative areas getting off lightly, or with better financial support. big suspicion is also that BJ (our PM) is more journalist than politician. very similar to withdrawal of support for states run by opposition governors and areas that don't traditionally vote in trumps direction.

for me, the UK can't quite get it's head around running an economy being the same issue as dealing with the virus. and going in hard and fast is nerve-wracking and likely to cause / suggest bigger issues with how services and financing has been cut to the bone over the last ten years. a lot of avoidance of issues has been to do with the complication (lack of people to do stuff) and expense (not willing to pay to compensate for cuts made) due to 2008 crash of economy which was by choice but dismantled infrastructure so much they don't want to draw more attention to it's effects.

Edited by logboy
  • Like 1

One specific thing I find annoying about the Boris government approach is that international travel restrictions/border control have consistently been an afterthought throughout the whole pandemic. They fought, won and implemented a brexit where border control was one of the central themes, and were handed probably their only chance to win hearts and minds on the other side, and they just fucked it.

Of course everyone with a brain knows the border control arguments for brexit were completely bogus and it was just racism, but yeah

• Like 4

valid points all round. I wonder though how much of the older conservative guard's criticism isn't just easy sniping from the sidelines and if they could have actually done a better job themselves rather than getting bogged down with party politics and making the same mistakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amen Warrior said:

One specific thing I find annoying about the Boris government approach is that international travel restrictions/border control have consistently been an afterthought throughout the whole pandemic. They fought, won and implemented a brexit where border control was one of the central themes, and were handed probably their only chance to win hearts and minds on the other side, and they just fucked it.

Of course everyone with a brain knows the border control arguments for brexit were completely bogus and it was just racism, but yeah

Its a weird one , isn't it...I think it just highlights how scattergun their polices and decision making process is, they really are just making it up each time as they go.

Which has been disastrous the last year as we need to be 3-4 weeks ahead of the curve with pre-emptive decisions. 

The one thing the government have been consistent about the last few years, as a key principle in the need for Brexit is taking back control of the borders and immigration. 

Locking down a small island state, limiting flights and putting in place lockdown hotels, testing every essential traveller coming in was all necessary and achievable (as other countries have proved).

You think they would have jumped at the chance to go in hard now and then keep the tough measures even after covid...

But no, to much much hassle, didnt want the blowback from the Airlines or to restrict the liberties of Boris's dad and all the trust fund influencers still wanting to travel.

Edited by Sensitive Outsider

On 2/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, Sensitive Outsider said:

Its a weird one , isn't it...I think it just highlights how scattergun their polices and decision making process is, they really are just making it up each time as they go.

Which has been disastrous the last year as we need to be 3-4 weeks ahead of the curve with pre-emptive decisions. 

The one thing the government have been consistent about the last few years, as a key principle in the need for Brexit is taking back control of the borders and immigration. 

Locking down a small island state, limiting flights and putting in place lockdown hotels, testing every essential traveller coming in was all necessary and achievable (as other countries have proved).

You think they would have jumped at the chance to go in hard now and then keep the tough measures even after covid...

But no, to much much hassle, didnt want the blowback from the Airlines or to restrict the liberties of Boris's dad and all the trust fund influencers still wanting to travel.

business looked very influential in earlier decisions about how UK government was going to move and when. there's been a resistance to making moves that might alter a way of life (conserving, being conservative) which, ironically, result in more intricate and fundamental changes to how life needs to be lived because it's picking around the edges of issues and being prolonged, slow, ineffective, repetitive and a 'new normal' that wasn't wanted, intended or just goes a long way from the starting point as a result.

the hard and fast approach looks reckless, as though lacking inspiration or nuance, and could have been perceived to be risky in loss of momentum of economy, despite the virus being an aspect of economy and not a balance of two separate issues, but prevents the need for ever more complicated actions that get altered slightly, or don't look substantial enough, confuse, frustrate, tire, lose support. all the time, over the many months, the next slow, careful choice looks too little, too late. and the deaths pile up very quickly when you take the brakes off lockdowns because people feel liberated as though the primary concern is over, despite it only subsiding temporarily. 

the international comparisons will come back to haunt politicians in any country with a high rate, because any aspect they care to say was unavoidable was possibly avoided elsewhere, any measure not in place here was possibly carried out elsewhere, any population density issue or localised health or financial issues were simultaneously handled in a variety of ways as well as common ways which proved to contribute towards relatively effective (often close to zero) deaths, change to life, expense and so on. we've seen an issue play out globally and provide real-time comparisons when political inaction and incompetence usually relies upon comparable situations not being so visible due to time elapsing between something occurring here and having occurred elsewhere in the past.

there will be a massive attempt to highlight domestically individual issues with each country that goes down the tribunal route to "learn the lessons", but it will have been a virus moving everywhere, killing everywhere, at the same time with the same year, and people will have to assess the successes and failures by comparison of common concerns; that infections are carried, that allowing movement allow carrying, that accumulative movement and mixing causes deaths. trace it back from death, and it will have been as a result of allowing (or not cracking down effectively on) movement as it's the only way covid-19 gets a chance to kill. it's not coincidence, it's fundamental.

Edited by logboy
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2021 at 6:08 PM, Upset man said:

That’s the benefits of good leadership on an island 1300ish?) miles from Australia. 

The United States and England never stood a chance.

UK & Ireland have the advantage of being smaller land bodies surrounded by water. They wasted that advantage it seems.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

UK & Ireland have the advantage of being smaller land bodies surrounded by water. They wasted that advantage it seems.

But unlike New Zealand they have tons of traffic coming in every day.

No single European country, not even a rogue island one, stood a chance once the virus entered the continent.