IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

On 1/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

Ok sciencey med-type geniuses out there in IDM-land:

So, my mom got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday and is scheduled for her booster on February 4th. The cdc says “the second doses (of the Pfizer vaccine) administered within a grace period of 4 days earlier than the recommended date for the second dose are still considered valid”

So my questions... even if that 4-day grace period is still “valid”, does a booster administered 5 days short of the 21 day recommended window lose effectiveness? I feel like I read somewhere that you don’t want to get that booster earlier because your immune system needs time to develop antibodies or whatnot and that it’s advised to wait longer as opposed to rush the second dose? Am I just imagining that I heard that? 
What does science say? 
If that 5-day thing is too soon, then wtf?? Amirite?

not everything that we know about the vaccine. we know what manufacturers, 'field' researchers and regulators tell us about it. afaik the recommended window for the second dose is between 21 and 27 day following the first dose, but apparently it can be given even few weeks later. earlier administration is a bit tricky! ...bc usually is. so, we do have the window of 4 days for earlier administration but your mother was scheduled 5 days earlier. the question is why? it's impossible to say how much will  that influence her immunization but still i doubt it'll be significantly less effective at the end. but i don't have a single solid research to back up this claim with; yet

she can check levels of antibodies in her blood 10-14 days after the second dose, just to be sure. if everything fails there's always eqs, compressors and de-essing ?

Edited by xox
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, xox said:

but i don't have a single solid research to back up this claim with; yet

she can check levels of antibodies in her blood 10-14 days after the second dose, just to be sure.

Many thanks! Good tip! I'm surprised at how little info there is about this out there.

I think, in general, mom could actually use a bit more hi-pass to bring some sparkle out in her 100-200 Hz range.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, Braintree said:

It wasn't from lack of trying. They had the Iranian general Soleimani assassinated. As well as that whole jingoism with North Korea business prior to that.

the inadvertent downing of an iranian airliner by iranian defense immediately after the attack was a chance event that happened to stall escalations which were in progress.

from my perch of spending way too much time following serious reporters who are utterly equipped with skepticism and fact-checking skills and who detest media sensationalist reporting yet find that facts point to extremely concerning patterns, it appears to me that the cold war, which never really ended, is now much hotter, and fucking trump just let putin in the gates and seemed to be operating on his behalf.

information fog makes this less clear to the general public, unfortunately, but many very serious people consider this to be the reality.

23 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I think, in general, mom could actually use a bit more hi-pass to bring some sparkle out in her 100-200 Hz range.

Your mom needs high passing? Really? For most moms a steep high frequency cut is much better. Weird.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Your mom needs high passing? Really? For most moms a steep high frequency cut is much better. Weird.

I know! It's probably the rona. 

Her subs are kicking right now tho.

:music:

Edited by J3FF3R00

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/report-biden-admin-discovers-trump-had-zero-plans-for-covid-vaccine-distribution

As they were settling into the White House on Wednesday, Biden administration officials were reportedly stunned to discover that President Joe Biden’s predecessor didn’t have a plan with regards to distributing the COVID-19 vaccine.

A source told CNN on Thursday morning that the new administration will “have to build everything from scratch” thanks to former President Donald Trump’s reported lack of strategy with the vaccine rollout.

“There is nothing for us to rework,” they said.

Fun times!

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

i'm guessing we'll get a lot of reports about the Biden admin being shocked what they're finding re: trump admin left for them to do. i don't know why anyone would be shocked though. i mean.. trump admin was evil and incompetent.  the biden admin should keep tabs on it all though and issue a report in bullet format style so people know it all clear as can be. 

• Like 4

PBS was showing each individual box of vaccine has its own GPS transponder, and they have a global map they track in real time. The cold supply chain to warm regions like Africa, Southern Hemisphere Is a giant undertaking. 

4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

PBS was showing each individual box of vaccine has its own GPS transponder, and they have a global map they track in real time. The cold supply chain to warm regions like Africa, Southern Hemisphere Is a giant undertaking. 

They do that to prevent fraud, among other reasons. 

On 1/21/2021 at 9:28 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

Many thanks! Good tip! I'm surprised at how little info there is about this out there.

lel. BTW, I legit have been trying to catch our Heme/Onc Chief here to ask her your question but haven't had a chance to connect (she would know). I do think the answer is probably: we just don't know. I did a little digging and, as Xox noted above, the research is evolving and suggesting that later than scheduled 2nd doses might still be effective. It does look like conventional wisdom is that multistep dosing regimens with a second dose given earlier than scheduled may not confer the same effectiveness, as the immune system is not fully primed to provide the type of lasting and complete response the 2nd dose brings. 

But, really? I think we just don't know for sure/ The +/- 4 day window is probably based on conventional vaccine scheduling, but there just isn't data to know (yet) how far this can be stretched - partly b/c anyone in the trials would have had to adhere strictly to this regimen, so we're not going to really know for a while if people who deviated from this had some negative effect. I mean, we don't even know how long the vaccine is effective for, or even (for sure) if people who are successfully vaccinated might be carriers or not. 

Anyway, still on my radar to ask, will report back w/ what I hear... 

EDIT: Also, got my 2nd shot today. Got my eyes on you ibuprofen bottle...

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2021 at 6:03 AM, xox said:

not everything that we know about the vaccine. we know what manufacturers, 'field' researchers and regulators tell us about it. afaik the recommended window for the second dose is between 21 and 27 day following the first dose, but apparently it can be given even few weeks later. earlier administration is a bit tricky! ...bc usually is. so, we do have the window of 4 days for earlier administration but your mother was scheduled 5 days earlier. the question is why? it's impossible to say how much will  that influence her immunization but still i doubt it'll be significantly less effective at the end. but i don't have a single solid research to back up this claim with; yet

she can check levels of antibodies in her blood 10-14 days after the second dose, just to be sure. if everything fails there's always eqs, compressors and de-essing ?

18 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

lel. BTW, I legit have been trying to catch our Heme/Onc Chief here to ask her your question but haven't had a chance to connect (she would know). I do think the answer is probably: we just don't know. I did a little digging and, as Xox noted above, the research is evolving and suggesting that later than scheduled 2nd doses might still be effective. It does look like conventional wisdom is that multistep dosing regimens with a second dose given earlier than scheduled may not confer the same effectiveness, as the immune system is not fully primed to provide the type of lasting and complete response the 2nd dose brings. 

But, really? I think we just don't know for sure/ The +/- 4 day window is probably based on conventional vaccine scheduling, but there just isn't data to know (yet) how far this can be stretched - partly b/c anyone in the trials would have had to adhere strictly to this regimen, so we're not going to really know for a while if people who deviated from this had some negative effect. I mean, we don't even know how long the vaccine is effective for, or even (for sure) if people who are successfully vaccinated might be carriers or not. 

Anyway, still on my radar to ask, will report back w/ what I hear... 

EDIT: Also, got my 2nd shot today. Got my eyes on you ibuprofen bottle...

spacer.png

btw... Congrats @T3551ER ??? 

• Like 2

If anything, the 95 percent number understates the effectiveness, because it counts anyone who came down with a mild case of Covid-19 as a failure. But turning Covid into a typical flu — as the vaccines evidently did for most of the remaining 5 percent — is actually a success. Of the 32,000 people who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in a research trial, do you want to guess how many contracted a severe Covid case? One.

Underselling the Vaccine (NYT)

• Like 1

What's happening with Astra-Zeneca? 

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-commission-astrazeneca-answers-coronavirus-vaccine-supply-cuts/

Sounds like a certain "third country" may have swooped in and purchased a huge chunk of the EU's order while the vaccine awaits EU approval. In retaliation the EU will prevent any vaccine from being exported from the EU without advance approval. 

Now reports in German media that Astra-Zeneca is only 8% effective among 65+ age group...

https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/deutschland/pandemie-bekaempfung-rueckschlag-bei-corona-impfstoff-astra-zeneca-vakzin-wirkt-bei-senioren-wohl-kaum/26849788.html

Edited by Enthusiast

World - Map of country 14-day covid-19 case notification rates per 100.000.
577807796_2021-01-27-World-Mapofcountry14-daycovid-19casenotificationratesper100000.thumb.png.cda153993674ee361a9a09598e7e7107.png

Europe - Map of provincial 14-day covid-19 case notification rates per 100.000.
1543941068_2021-01-27-Europe-Mapofprovincial14-daycovid-19casenotificationratesper100000.thumb.png.ab82a151fb47cdf24b904ca66fbb87ba.png

USA - Map of county 14-day covid-19 case notification rates per 100.000.
1145537298_2021-01-27-USA-Mapofcounty14-daycovid-19casenotificationratesper100000.png.1d3f7f2d36251e28b405f172e0b685f2.png

World - Map of country Total Deaths per 1.000.000.
1658650805_2021-01-27-World-Map_Total_Deaths_per_1000000_svg.thumb.png.865ffd9645d70a35d7809e3869cd8b8b.png

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/22/2021 at 11:32 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

btw... Congrats @T3551ER ??? 

No, YOU are! ^0^  Ok, just did a hallway consult w/ Chief of Heme/Onc and she confirmed pm what I said above: recommended 4 day window b/c it's believed that you need to allow the body to be primed to provide a robust immune response to the 2nd dose. Believed, b/c (again as above) there is just so much we don't know for sure. One thing she brought up is that taking bamlanivimab (tx for COVID) might be a vector that affects the vaccine so there is some guidance to hold vaccine's for a certain period (not set in stone, this is just anecdotal). 

So, there you go - my sense from talking w/her is kind of what I alluded to earlier: these are recommendations based on what we know about vaccines and how the trials were conducted, but we can't be 100% sure on the "right" thing - just the things that make the most sense w/in the context of what we do know. 

BTW, if it gives you comfort, I'm part of a voluntary study for COVID screening and behaviors. Part of it is an at-home serology test for antibodies - I did one yesterday (only a few days post 2nd dose, and I took that one 3 days earlier) - I tested positive for both antibodies so, again just an N=1, it looks like I already have antibodies. As an aside: this was the first line test I've ever gotten the results of where I was like "please let there be a 2nd line, please let there be a 2nd line". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

joined immunity club on monday. had a bit of the shivers yesterday, but everything's fine now. would recommend.

Have you noticed increased advertising for Microsoft products? I heard that's one of the potential side effects.

• Haha 1

429k+ deaths from covid in the states. expected to hit 479k to 514k by february 20th.

vaccine bottleneck. my state is slowly rolling out the vaccine. still in phase 1b, teachers, healthcare workers, long term care facilities.  i'm phase 1c (higher risk due to health conditions). probably won't be able to get vaccine until end of february at the earliest. 

42 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Mortician talks about all the bodies not being taken care of in LA right now.

fuck. how many ways can the gov't fail people?  all the ways.. all the ways..