IGNORED

Who do you instabuy?

IDEM

Who are the artists (or even labels) that you buy blind? I mean the absolute must-haves, the ones where you see an announcement of a new release and you've pulled the "preorder" trigger before even finishing the headline, you don't even think about it, it's as natural as breathing, because they have never let you down and you feel they never will? Also, have any artists been dropped from this roster after a couple of lackluster releases?  Meaning, you probably still like them and will still buy some of their stuff here and there, but only after at least skipping through it quickly, because that boundless trust you once had in them is gone. Or perhaps they just became too prolific and you couldn't keep up with their release schedule? Or their output became so varied that you would only like a certain side of them anymore?

Anyway, off the top of my head, this is my current "instabuy" list:

Actress

Aphex Twin

Autechre

Basic Channel (if they ever put out anything new)

Black Devil Disco Club

Boards Of Canada

Daft Punk

Dead Can Dance

Matthew Dear

Depeche Mode

DJ Tennis

Dominik Eulberg

GAS

Hot Chip (still clinging on)

The KLF (if ...)

Kraftwerk

Lanark Artefax

Metro Area

Monolake

New Order

Plastikman

Prefab Sprout

Rex The Dog

Stereolab

Traumprinz

Dropped (and I mostly still really like these, mind; it's just that, these days, I'll allow myself a tiny little sneak peek first)

Burial

Vladislav Delay

Roman Flügel

Mathew Jonson

(Matthew) Herbert

Lawrence

Mouse On Mars

Nine Inch Nails

Orbital

Plaid/The Black Dog

Recondite

Sigur Ròs

Underworld

What are yours?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in a good mood so I'll help your thread from sinking a little

It's kind of difficult nowadays because of Spotify I rarely 'instabuy' anything, I know I can give it a good trail run before buying, and because I don't buy vinyl nowadays (mostly cds, and the Japanese versions if possible) I'm not in a mad rush to get anything before 'it's gone'. Trust me life is less stressful not being obsessed with vinyl.

I think it's not the artist but the nature of the release which would send me into a flying panic to buy it.

For example if I received a Bleep email saying there was a limited press of a 1000 cd boxsets of the Analord collection I would be flying deadlier and faster than a Mach3 jet in Kill mode on the buy button. 

5 minutes ago, beer badger said:

I think it's not the artist but the nature of the release which would send me into a flying panic to buy it.

For example if I received a Bleep email saying there was a limited press of a 1000 cd boxsets of the Analord collection I would be flying deadlier and faster than a Mach3 jet in Kill mode on the buy button. 

Basically this.

I think every artist I may have considered insta-buy worthy in the past has fallen into the latter category. Probably mostly because there have been let-downs, but also because I can sample first. 

23 minutes ago, beer badger said:

I feel you, I really do. I seem to have a semi-permanent mental disorder activated by a category of words including but not restricted to "limited",  "edition", "box set", "special", "no digital", "vinyl only", "no repress" - I turn into a Manchurian Candidate on a suicide mission AND I MUST NOT FAIL. I do have a modicum of control over it, but things like the Touched by Silence wooden box (I have opened only the FSOL CD shrinkwrap, everything else is available in digital), Fundamental Records' Electric Eclectics (30x12" + 7", bloody hell) and 10 Year Anniversary 808 Box or even the WXAXRXP Box Set... FFS. I don't want to list the "regular" things I buy without hesitation, too many to mention.

21 minutes ago, beer badger said:

I'm in a good mood so I'll help your thread from sinking a little

It's kind of difficult nowadays because of Spotify I rarely 'instabuy' anything, I know I can give it a good trail run before buying, and because I don't buy vinyl nowadays (mostly cds, and the Japanese versions if possible) I'm not in a mad rush to get anything before 'it's gone'. Trust me life is less stressful not being obsessed with vinyl.

Gracious as always, Mr. Badger! I was merely hoping to provide some fun and lightheartedness for WATMM in these trying times and perhaps get a few worthwhile recommendations in the process.

I didn't mean FOMO re: physical releases or anything like that, but rather what are the artists that make your personal excite-o-meter go through the roof because you feel they got the Midas touch (Aphex, in my case) or that you just feel so indebted to because they've accompanied you for years, decades even, that you'll support them no matter what (Depeche Mode).

"None" is a valid answer. Thank you for indulging me.

Aphex
Autechre
Rrose
Gabor Lazar
Egyptrixx (or whatever the alias)
Rian Treanor
Kindohm
Jam City
Lanark Artefax
Barker
True Widow
William Fields
MBV

I'd buy Squarepusher's Rave N Bass / Warp 20 archives in a heartbeat too.

Blanck Mass

Braids

Datach’i

Dead to a Dying World

Holly Herndon

Koen Holtkamp

Katie Gately

Grimes

Zoë Mc Pherson

Kelly Lee Owens

Panopticon

The Philistines Jr.

RAMZi

Rolando Simmons

Emma Ruth Rundle

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith

Yohuna

zvld

probably more but that’s off the top of my head and I’m too lazy to get off the couch. 

also if your release is “extremely limited” or “vinyl-only” i will probably skip it. give me black vinyl in a sleeve and a download code. 

At this point it's only Autechre. Everything else I would listen to first.

Long time ago the list would have been much longer, but you live and learn or something. But for sure there's a list of artists who's every release I always check, not necessarily buy though.

23 minutes ago, Nil said:

Aphex
Autechre
Rrose
Gabor Lazar
Egyptrixx (or whatever the alias)
Rian Treanor
Kindohm
Jam City
Lanark Artefax
Barker
True Widow
William Fields
MBV

I'd buy Squarepusher's Rave N Bass / Warp 20 archives in a heartbeat too.

Damn forgot about Lanark Artefax, editing him into where he rightfully (and alphabetically) belongs.

2 hours ago, zkom said:

Long time ago the list would have been much longer, but you live and learn or something. But for sure there's a list of artists who's every release I always check, not necessarily buy though.

Pretty much this. 

Aphex Twin  /  MBV  /  Dungen  /  Wolves in the Throne Room  /  Ceephax  /  Lightning Bolt

The list used to be longer, but those are the ones that never really seem to put out stinkers.

I'm also using Spotify more and more lately, so I justify being wishy washy with automatic physical purchases on more virtual spins equating to pennies for artist's I might not want a full release from. I know it's not exactly philanthropic or anything, but I'm on a tighter budget these days.

Artists wise:

Autechre 

Bob Dylan (although more prolific with bootleg sets these days) 

EOD 

Stephen Malkmus

Thurston Moore

Aleksi Perala

Radiohead

Rolando Simmons 

Swans

There’s probably more, but all of the above warrant instabuys for me.  

The only label I probably buy anything regardless of release is Polytechnic Youth, because the new releases are always cheap, and well varied. 

Just Autechre and Radiohead really. No second thoughts or doubt involved there. Too dependable for too long to turn away now.

There are several others I tend to day 1, but could be only one middling release away from relegating from instabuy. A bit like bandwagoning football success then drifting away during the rebuild wilderness years.

Archived