IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

1 hour ago, NewYorkNowhere said:

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha did u seriously unironically compare OPN to trap music because he sings ahahahahhahahahahaa

I didn't see anyone chime in and say otherwise (until now). Maybe we should ask for your expert opinion on it. Always keeping in mind that it's just an opinion.

In my opinion, something like Animals and something like Sicko Mode couldn't be further from each other lol. Just because they both have vocals doesn't mean that they're the same genre, and in fact pretty much all of Garden of Delete doesn't have autotune at all. It's a speech synthesis program. Furthermore, the tracks off of Age Of and Magic OPN that do have pitch correcting software, have additional vocal effects on them to make them more unique than your average autotuned jackass on soundcloud. Pretty narrow minded and rude to compare OPN to a mumble rapper just because he uses pitch correction on his vocals.

ALSO I've mentioned this before, but OPN has been working with vocals for years! Even before Garden of Delete! Here's a pretty good example, but if you look into his early stuff you can find more.

So yea, it's fine if you don't like his voice but just keep at that, right?

Actually I don't even know if sicko mode has autotune so just pretend i linked a better example xd

okay, we'll leave it at that unless of course you ever decide to type another reply by rapidly typing 'h' and 'a' in succession, over and over again.. That's probably what annoyed me. Also keep in mind, I wouldn't bother wasting my time in a thread for an artist I didn't admire and enjoy. I appreciate that you're really into his work but it's not beyond criticism - the vocals (IMO) mostly ruin the music and as you've seen in this thread, I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Also, I really mean it about the hahahaha thing. Seriously uncool.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fumi said:

You're about to type another reply aren't you? 

I wasn't but just because you said that I will lol. Calm down, I laughed at you on the internet.

19 minutes ago, fumi said:

but it's not beyond criticism

There's alot that OPN has put out that I hate, particularly in side projects. I love the guy and his music, but I'm not the type to blindly love someones music.

2 hours ago, NewYorkNowhere said:

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha did u seriously unironically compare OPN to trap music because he sings ahahahahhahahahahaa

Pretty dorky response tbh. Relax man we get it, you're an OPN fan. No need to act like the OPN Opinion Gatekeeper, there's enough room here for all of us.

4 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

OPN Opinion Gatekeeper

Just thought it was genuinely hilarious someone compared OPN to trap rap lol. No clue how anyone could make that mental link besides autotune=trap

The vocals are actually what turn me off about the majority of his releases. Feels/sounds like I’m in a hot topic or something at the mall.

I thought the teaser track was tastefully done though? Didn’t go overboard like I expected.

3 hours ago, NewYorkNowhere said:

ALSO I've mentioned this before, but OPN has been working with vocals for years! Even before Garden of Delete! Here's a pretty good example, but if you look into his early stuff you can find more.

Not sure I've heard this one or not, but the vocal effects here are not the typical sound associated with autotune that I find annoying. This is ok.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Have to agree ^

Nice track

Gotta say you've been alot more positive in this OPN thread than previous threads! I wasn't around for them, but I've been reading them since 2017 and you were never nice to OPN in them hahaha. It's pretty cool.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NewYorkNowhere said:

Gotta say you've been alot more positive in this OPN thread than previous threads! I wasn't around for them, but I've been reading them since 2017 and you were never nice to OPN in them hahaha. It's pretty cool.

I’m pretty vocal, blunt, and basically a jerk about music I don’t like. I’m cognizant the guy is super talented but sometimes the direction he goes baffles me a bit. I’ll always give these artists my ear though even if eventually throw their record into a pond ?

Looking forward to this album based on what I’ve heard!

• Like 1

Age of was borderline poor and I agree his new vocal direction is bleh

but really the biggest problem i have with his music is that some parts of his tracks contains absolute unique gems, but he doesn't repeat those gems. 3 min of meh, then 1 min of gold.

reminds me of some zappa somehow.

Edited by Ayya Khema
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayya Khema said:

Age of was borderline poor and I agree his new vocal direction is bleh

but really the biggest problem i have with his music is that some parts of his tracks contains absolute unique gems, but he doesn't repeat those gems. 3 min of meh, then 1 min of gold.

reminds me of some zappa somehow.

I've also thought this about his music, especially R+7 onwards. As you said, 'Long Road Home' is the perfect example of this.  There are truly sublime moments of utter beauty on these albums but sometimes they're so fleeting it's as if you never even heard them. 

Reminds me of this.

Boards of Canada, XLR8R Review, 2001.

"I think we are trying to do that more and more now," says Sandison. "I like to think that where we are going is trying to compose totally horizontally. The vertical way of composing is the lazy way, where you just build stuff up and build stuff up, and then just bring them in and out. I think the way we work is so much more orchestrated, so that you can hear something that just happens, and you want it to carry on because it’s so tantalizing, and you want to hear it again and again. We both understand the principle that if you put something beautiful into a piece of music just once, it makes people put the record back on because they want to hear it again."

• Like 1

I'm somewhat interested in this album, but not enough to preorder.  G.O.D. was garbage, but the Age Of style of making weird meta-pop with jazz-influenced composition was far out.  Hopefully we get something more cohesive this time, because Age Of was all over the place.

• Like 1