IGNORED

SOPHIE - BIPP (Autechre Mx)

hello spiral

I'm not sure which is worse - the original or remix. 

=/

Edit: I think the original might actually be better tbh. 

Reminds me of the uziq vs the auteurs release notes - seems like autechre was so bored with the original material they put basically 0 effort into the remix.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

Just now, toaoaoad said:

I think they're probably continuing on their usual path of doing whatever they want lol 

I mean, yeah that stands for pretty much anyone in any given situation right? =P

Choose your own adventure

I think what I don't like with this remix is that distorted/timestretched snare drum. 

They could have done the beat more on fire with the Machinedrum but like Hugh Mughnus said: 0 effort probably. 

• Like 1

come on these guys are making hours of crushing, emotionally cathartic epics all day, you gotta love hearing what happens when they just want to unwind and make some chill electropop beats

the Hell Interface comparison is spot on - this track sounds like something that could be on a MASK album

Just gave this another listen on headphones and there's a depth to it that isn't immediately obvious. They are masters of creating a sense of space in their tracks and somehow that makes these more minimal arrangements more substantial. There's some ambience in it, it's not just beat+bass+vocal. And it's not just a straight up repetitive beat, there's a fair bit of variation.

Vocal is cringe af tho not gonna lie haha it sounds like something DMX Krew would do ?

I dunno if the remix is better than the original or vv. The original fits the vocal better because it takes center stage and everything is tightly wrapped around it - whereas the remix feels more like a "normal" or even oldskool kind of track, vocal at normal pitch etc, which is cool in its own way but makes the imperfections of the vocal itself a little more obvious. 

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 2

Not a bad remix but a bit tepid, you'd hope for more from Æ.

Freestyle's obviously quite a big influence on Sophie's more straight up dancey stuff (Nothing More To Say/EEEHHH and the Sfire stuff) so the orch hit at the start of the remix is a nice knowing nod to that style.

There's an enjoyably trippy space to this remix but what made the original stand out so much when it was released was the wiggly, plasticy sound design, the lack of drums (in a dance pop song!) and the fun positive energy at a time when UK dance music was mostly very serious and masculine. This remix does away with all of those elements and the result is a less compelling listen than the original.
Nice of them to finally do it though.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2021 at 4:30 AM, Boxus said:

come on these guys are making hours of crushing, emotionally cathartic epics all day, you gotta love hearing what happens when they just want to unwind and make some chill electropop beats

I could just go to sleep then.

if you think that sophie track is good wait till you hear the rest of her shit boi

i think both tracks are pretty meh imo. i do hope maybe a true collab with the ae on her next album, surfie pliss ?

14 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

if you think that sophie track is good wait till you hear the rest of her shit boi

i think both tracks are pretty meh imo. i do hope maybe a true collab with the ae on her next album, surfie pliss ?

have cruised through some of the output over the years and not really connected w/it.  maybe i'll try again at some point. the vox generally put me off though. 

• Like 1

i highly recommand spending some more time with sophie her stuff ignatius, i just think it's a great artist.

watmm dropping the ball hard on arca 2, and playboi carti's new abulum

• Like 1