IGNORED

2023: Your favourite music

scumtron

20 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

This is probably my song of the year

I'm glad the guy walking around with the phone taking video is dressed all in white to reduce the early reflections.

• Haha 1

Martinou is my favourite thing going. Wonderful full length and EP this year.

Martinou - Chiral

Martinou - The Sheltered Planet

Awesome ASIP release and a good peak into the world of Ute.Rec that is definitely worth exploring.

Mikkel Rev - The Art of Levitation

One of my faves this year.

Nathan Micay - To The God Named Dream

Bunch of faves of the year - but too lazy to write something about them cause this process actually took a long time.

Otik - Cosmosis

crimeboys - very dark past

ASC - The Depths Of Space

Wata Igarashi - Agartha

Adam Pits - Synthetic Serenity

Barker - Unfixed

Purelink - Signs

DJ Trystero - Castillo

Hysterical Love Project - Lashes

Cousin is quickly becoming one my favourite producers. Nice to see him on Mood Hut.

Cousin - HomeSoon

Trip-hop revival commences I guess. A solid album with Tornado Wallace on production duty. Accompanied with a solid remix package including Cousin and Purelink.

a.s.o. - a.s.o.

a.s.o. - a.s.o. remixed

Nothing revelatory here - just some solid ass electronic music releases on Delsin.

Vril - Animist

VC-118A - Waves of Change

It was a fun thread. I wanted to hate it - but couldn't. Scratches that Burial itch if you need it.

Evian Christ - Revanchist

Another one to scratch that itch. It's popular and safe. But that's ok.

Overmono - Good Lies

Reissue Stuff

Neural Network - Opaque

James Bernard - Digging Through The DAT Tapes

Megalon - Collected EPs

Will always love Animal Collective. They had a great year.

Avey Tare - 7s

Animal Collective - Isn't It Now?

Couple Ilian Tape bombs.

Andrea - Due In Color

Dario Zenker - Reflection

Couple dusty spaced out delights from Romance.

Romance - Fade Into You

Romance & Dean Hurley - River Of Dreams

Some good techno.

Surgeon - Crash Recoil

Function - Green EP

Rrose - Please Touch

otodojo - Amphibious/Aural Spirits

One of my fave threads every year. Have a good holiday season everybody. ❤️

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, species8472 said:

This is great. Reminds of The Field in all the right ways.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, species8472 said:

Some good techno.

Speaking of good techno that came out this year a couple of records I liked (getting old and crotchety so techno doesn't hit that same itch):

Alexander Johansson and Mattias Fridell keep being amazing

Fadi Mohem - Mohem 02

And I forgot these two beautiful ambient records from Demetrio Cecchitelli

• Like 3

14 hours ago, species8472 said:

Martinou - Chiral

Really enjoying this! Perfect music for today's train ride.

Long time no see, all.  Been a busy/hectic/crazy year here for me so I've kind of went dark here......but still listening to lots of stuff. Here's some of my favorites that I've seen little to no mention of on here.  If I had to pick an AOTY, it would be between Danny Daze's Blue album and the old/new Sun Electric live release.  Everything here has major staying power for me though and I hope you all will find a lot to like!

Edited by Extralife
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

@species8472 the martinou stuff is so blissful. glad to see him going strong.

@Extralife nice to see you m9. the danny daze album is good shit!

i haven't even scratched the surface of stuff in this thread but thanks to everyone posting so much to listen to!!

@AlcofribasCheers dude. Plan on being more active in the New Year. The Daze album is indeed very special.

2023 favs 🤘

Afx twins - blackbox/london eps

Dodheimsgard - black medium current

Zuli - digla dive-live / komy ep

Blawan - dismantled into juice 

Young Nudy - gumbo

Pangea - changing channels

Punishment - rotten ep

Danny brown - quaranta

Days of hate - diatribe ep

Panda bear/sonicboom - reset in dub

Barker - unfixed

• Like 5

On 12/22/2023 at 9:38 PM, Extralife said:

Long time no see, all.  Been a busy/hectic/crazy year here for me so I've kind of went dark here......but still listening to lots of stuff. Here's some of my favorites that I've seen little to no mention of on here.  If I had to pick an AOTY, it would be between Danny Daze's Blue album and the old/new Sun Electric live release.  Everything here has major staying power for me though and I hope you all will find a lot to like!

Was waiting for your post Extralife! Some albums in there I haven't tried yet, will be sure to check em out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

did anyone have this? don't sleep on it

i revisited that one a few days ago after having not listened to it since it came out (nothing to do with how much ive enjoyed it i just havent been in the mood for revisits earlier this year unless its like aphex or whatever). still holds up!

i dislike the opener though not my thing at all

Every other year I make a resolution to participate more in Watmm but never seem to follow it through. Anyway for what it’s worth here’s my picks of the year in no particular order. Lots more I could mention, but these are all stand-outs

Electronic

James Holden - Imagine this is a Higher Dimensional Space; probably my pick of the year if I had to choose, just a really excellent, experimental electronic album with one foot in rave culture
Nathan Micay - To the God Named Dream; bright, symphonic, unabashedly retro breakbeat rave with a classical bent
Craven Faults - Standers; longform analogue electro, better than the previous one
Surgeon - Crash Recoil; techno that’s cerebral yet pounding as always
Fennesz & Ozmotic; Senzatempo; lovely ambient noise
μ-Ziq - 1977; one of his most surprising albums
Gacha Bakradze - Pancakes; sprightly beats and expansive melodies, early 90s golden-age influences
Doc Sleep - Birds (in my mind anyway); lovely dubby, post-clubby techno
Ceephax Acid Crew - Baddow Moods; came out last year but I feel like it missed out on any AOTY lists. Just epic stuff from Andy
The Black Dog - The Grey Album; cool live-sounding techno 
Lee Gamble - Models; beautiful AI-driven acapella ambient
Otik - Cosmosis; just really good dance music, kind of Daniel Avery-esque but with a bit of a psychedelic flavour
The Chemical Brothers - For that Beautiful Feeling; feels like a return to 90s glory days
Future Sound of London - Environment 7.003; I’ve nowhere near kept up with their post 90s stuff but this feels very recognisably the work of the same creative force that produced those classic releases
Forest Swords - excellent third album, that stays true to the aesthetic of the project but develops new ideas too

Non-Electronic

Nation of Language - Strange Disciple; synth pop trio go from strength to strength
Sparklehorse - Bird Machine; really lovely posthumous collection, up there with his best imho though a bit more polished production-wise
Blur - Ballad of Darren; not my favourite Blur album (saying that as a lifelong fan), but feels like the Blur album we deserve in 2023
Steve Mason - Brothers & Sisters; former Beta Band frontman sounding as confident and assured as ever
Bar Italia - Tracey Denim; scuzzy influence-heavy slacker indie
Nabihah Iqbal - Dreamer; shoegaze meets new-wave, spoken-word vox and some electronic tracks. Shouldn’t work as an album but does.

Looking forward to spending the next few weeks digging into everything else in this thread. As a perennial lurker, thanks for all the recommendations!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rarebit Nutter said:

Every other year I make a resolution to participate more in Watmm but never seem to follow it through.

I would hereby like to encourage you to do so!

P.S. Love the nick 😋

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a weird obsession with this track. It plays in my head all the time. Like it's cast some kind of spell on me and now it haunts my subconscious.

• Like 3

Also love Silencio, wasn't sure at first and was disappointed it wasn't more techno but really grew on me. Awesome album

• Like 1