Thor Ragnarok - pretty hilarious. I loved how it didn’t take itself serious at all. I mean, it’s still a Marvel movie but at least this one tried something new

ahhh really? maybe i'm in a bad mood but i though the comedy was all over the place in a bad way... :( i prefer campy and movies that don't take (itself/themselves - what's the right way to say it???) too seriously but this one really didn't do it for me... i thought it tried too hard... Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Didn't feel this one, which is a shame as I had high hopes coming from Bone Tomahawk. Way too long and empty...just disapointing

The Killing of a Sacred Deer - On the fence with this one - apprieciate it's large scope and cinematic intentions, but I'm not a fan of the the way Yorgos Lanthimos likes to direct dialogue, takes me out of it...also too long, but draws you in so it's not so bad.

Thor Ragnarok - pretty hilarious. I loved how it didn’t take itself serious at all. I mean, it’s still a Marvel movie but at least this one tried something new

yikes. i thought it was awful and pretty obvious that they were shoehorning what they believed made guardians of the galaxy "good" into the thor universe because the other ones were inexcusably boring

yikes. i thought it was awful and pretty obvious that they were shoehorning what they believed made guardians of the galaxy "good" into the thor universe because the other ones were inexcusably boring

Maybe I was just tired or something. I'm not saying it's a good movie or anything, but it's one of the better Marvel movies...

To be honest though, I stopped paying attention during the last 30 minutes or so when the action got going.

Maybe I was just tired or something. I'm not saying it's a good movie or anything, but it's one of the better Marvel movies...

To be honest though, I stopped paying attention during the last 30 minutes or so when the action got going.

i probably shouldn't talk i fell asleep several times. woke up and saw the final blow being delivered to some mythical something or something. was just glad to go home

Might start a film thread where marvel films are banned. They're all the same.

Totally. I honestly hope people grow tired of them very soon because I was just reminded that we're only a third of the way through their 5 phase plan. o____o

Let's apply this to all Marvel films then pack it in.

MV5BMjAwNTE3MjQ2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjgz

just got done watching this. pretty good- kinda like AI meets bladerunner meets something else that i can't quite say. anyhoo some good moments- some surprising ones and a character doing stuff you don't see coming:

i liked the android 3 some with the guy dressed like a geisha.i also loved the free take-out flying drones. what removed me from the film was how the world didn't feel that "big" or rather, that it felt limited- especially for the main guy (the mute guy) i wish we followed him a little more

six and half david bowie's son out of ten

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Better than expected after his last movie which I could not wait to finish while sitting in the theatre. While this one was better, there is so much tonal flip flopping all over the place. The attempts at humour kind of undercut the drama in a weird way. It made me realize how good Get Out was at walking that line. 7/10

Mute - It's alright...worth checking out. Some of the character motivations felt a bit strange but then again I sort of started checking my phone half way through. It was nice to hear a bit of the symphonic rendition of Bowie's Heroes at one point. 6.5/10

Edited by gnarlybog

Mute - 100/10

A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, Brazil, Strange Days, Moon, Drive, Zero Theorem, Blade Runner 2049. If you've seen any of the above movies, then you will absolutely love and be thrilled with this movie. It has countless references to the above movies in so many ways that for those who haven't seen those classic dystopian films, this movie will not make much sense both story-wise and stylistically. The story-line may confuse a lot of people, but the pay-off it delivers is absolutely stunning and transcendent. The silence of the main character is a thrilling plot device in and of itself, hence the very name of the movie. I would suggest the people who had a problem with the silence of the main character watch Drive, you'll get your answers there. The run time at over just 2 hours might be daunting for a lot of people, but like Blade Runner 2049 the length of the movie is worth it given the expansive story-line and its various important and dramatic subplots. The movie requires patience, it's not flashy, it's not quick, it's a slow burn that is worth it. I have a feeling that the same folks who dislike the slow-burn have not seen or liked Blade Runner 2049 or Brazil, it's on par with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which is highly regarded as a masterpiece in and of itself. The soundtrack is beautiful, combined with a cinematography that is absolutely spot on and perfect. Altogether, the story-line, soundtrack and cinematography deliver a powerful movie that draws from highly respected classic films and this is where it would lose most audiences because of its complex callbacks to the aforementioned movies. I agree, it's not for everyone but for those who appreciate the kind of cyber-punk dystopian, slow-burn movies listed above then you will absolutely love and enjoy this movie.

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Mute - 100/10

A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, Brazil, Strange Days, Moon, Drive, Zero Theorem, Blade Runner 2049. If you've seen any of the above movies, then you will absolutely love and be thrilled with this movie. It has countless references to the above movies in so many ways that for those who haven't seen those classic dystopian films, this movie will not make much sense both story-wise and stylistically. The story-line may confuse a lot of people, but the pay-off it delivers is absolutely stunning and transcendent. The silence of the main character is a thrilling plot device in and of itself, hence the very name of the movie. I would suggest the people who had a problem with the silence of the main character watch Drive, you'll get your answers there. The run time at over just 2 hours might be daunting for a lot of people, but like Blade Runner 2049 the length of the movie is worth it given the expansive story-line and its various important and dramatic subplots. The movie requires patience, it's not flashy, it's not quick, it's a slow burn that is worth it. I have a feeling that the same folks who dislike the slow-burn have not seen or liked Blade Runner 2049 or Brazil, it's on par with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which is highly regarded as a masterpiece in and of itself. The soundtrack is beautiful, combined with a cinematography that is absolutely spot on and perfect. Altogether, the story-line, soundtrack and cinematography deliver a powerful movie that draws from highly respected classic films and this is where it would lose most audiences because of its complex callbacks to the aforementioned movies. I agree, it's not for everyone but for those who appreciate the kind of cyber-punk dystopian, slow-burn movies listed above then you will absolutely love and enjoy this movie.

What do you make of this scathing review?

i can't help but feel that every netflix movie gets horrible reviews because the critics have a vested interest in movies being released in theaters. none of these movies are the disasters they make them out to be. they aren't particularly good, but neither was black panther, which currently is ranked above citizen kane on rotten tomatoes.

i didn't think mute was that bad- but it wasn't great either. at the Q&A, duncan jones came off at little bit as a douchebag. there was something a little unlikeable about him regardless of how much he giggled at his own accomplishments. i did enjoy paul rudd and justin theroux's "hey babe" chemistry- but it felt like it interrupted the film's story- where is this girl that leo is looking for? and why does this world not seem as vast as it wants to? did leo really need to steal that mercedes to go to that house with that woman's place to learn nothing? 

Oh Justin Theroux is in it? I’ll probably watch it then.

Most handsome man.

For real though. I barely knew who he was until The Leftovers and now I’ll watch anything he or his dong is in. I’m the same way with Joaquin Phoenix, but that’s mostly because of the way he completely disappears into roles.

all highly recommended! just click on the images to be re-directed do imdb...

MV5BMTgxMzc3OTMyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDM2MV5BMTI3NTYyMzk1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzExMV5BMTI3MzY4MzUyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODAw

these are really great films. especially liked Last Life in the Universe (his follow up, Invisible Waves is also really good, both films really beautifully shot, Christopher Doyle is the shit). Gozu is mental, really funny too.

wanderlust was a great movie

yes. David Wain is great, haven't checked out his new one yet, the national lampoon biopic, supposed to be good tho.

Mute was pretty good I thought, took a while to get going, the visual style was a bit all over the place which was off putting at first, but about half way in I started to like that about it... it kinda had one foot in the present still, which is something that's usually lacking from scifi. directors are too eager to make everything look completely different. Think it'll get better on repeat viewings. Theroux and Rudd were great.