spacer.png

I lived in NYC from 1999 to 2011 and spent a lot of time in this place (as well as every other record store in NYC). It was like a magnet. I remember really wanting to get a job there but being way too intimidated to inquire. Such a great place that reflected an era (as well as the end of an era) in NYC history. I’m really glad someone made a movie about it. For me, watching it was like shopping there again. Feels/10

• Like 4

On 1/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, Tim_J said:

i don't follow tim on social media so i'm not into what he's doing these days but i laugh pretty hard from start to finish with this special...

i'm completely obsessed with his podcast he has with dj douggound and vic berger.

it's called "office hours live" check it out if you enjoy his comedy. it's like 300+ hours of content.

• Thanks 1

rewatching LOTR trilogy for the 20th time.

i just can't believe how good these films are lol. the way they depict the world created in the books has to be one of the best book-film adaptation in cinema.

the scene in the first one in the mines with the belrog is so well done.

• Like 2

composer Philip Glass is 84 today. a recent performance of one of his finest operas - Akhnaten - has been made available on YouTube:

for the longest time this was not available to watch on DVD or any medium, other than audio releases. make the most of it before it disappears ❤️??

• Like 1

MV5BZWVlZDdlMmQtMWRlMi00MTg3LWI5YWUtYmZl

two girls are told to participate in a prank video that's meant to be the next viral sensation- except this is a covert assassination of the true heir to north korea. who were these girls? did they know what they were doing? who and how were they recruited? etc etc

great/10

21 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

MV5BZWVlZDdlMmQtMWRlMi00MTg3LWI5YWUtYmZl

two girls are told to participate in a prank video that's meant to be the next viral sensation- except this is a covert assassination of the true heir to north korea. who were these girls? did they know what they were doing? who and how were they recruited? etc etc

great/10

They really push this angle as the truth? Do they prove it? It always sounded like absolute nonsense to me.

24 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

I just watched this for the first time about a month ago. Holy CRAP it's so good. So Lynch in so many ways, but also it's own thing. Also heard Paprika by the same director is supposes to be aces....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T3551ER said:

I just watched this for the first time about a month ago. Holy CRAP it's so good. So Lynch in so many ways, but also it's own thing. Also heard Paprika by the same director is supposes to be aces....

https://dbmoviesblog.com/2016/11/02/perfect-blue-1997-vs-black-swan-2010-is-aronofskys-black-swan-perfectly-blue/

shit i forgot to include black swan in my other thread...

41 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

from what I recall (it's been so long since I saw either), Perfect Blue is far more of a straight forward story than Paprika, which requires multiple viewings to understand everything since it's just so dense with plot info. and even with that, I remember not being entirely satisfied with how it all unraveled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:

They really push this angle as the truth? Do they prove it? It always sounded like absolute nonsense to me.

Spoiler

imo they do. in fact, they are both free now. the documentary goes into how they met their "handlers"who groomed the girls by first having them make a few "prank videos" for youtube. the promise was that due the success of the videos, they would submit one of the clips to a network in the hopes of having a show based around the concept. that was the prank murder. if they were in fact assets working for the regime, i believe there would have been some type of compensation for their actions.

Edited by Nebraska
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

Reveal hidden contents

imo they do. in fact, they are both free now. the documentary goes into how they met their "handlers"who groomed the girls by first having them make a few "prank videos" for youtube. the promise was that due the success of the videos, they would submit one of the clips to a network in the hopes of having a show based around the concept. that was the prank murder. if they were in fact assets working for the regime, i believe there would have been some type of compensation for their actions.

I'll need to watch this to see how it impacts my skepticism.

25 minutes ago, zero said:
1 hour ago, T3551ER said:

from what I recall (it's been so long since I saw either), Perfect Blue is far more of a straight forward story than Paprika, which requires multiple viewings to understand everything since it's just so dense with plot info. and even with that, I remember not being entirely satisfied with how it all unraveled. 

he also did paranoia agent which is pretty good...

• Like 2

On 1/31/2021 at 1:13 PM, brian trageskin said:

the films have many flaws and dumb shit in them but they're great nonetheless.

just watched this scene. how did this shot make it into the movie?

this is some off the cutting room floor type shit

• Farnsworth 1

21 hours ago, Tim_J said:

20 hours ago, Tim_J said:

he also did paranoia agent which is pretty good...

Cheers! That Black Swan analysis is pretty fascinating - it's clear that Aronofsky must be a fan (the bathtub scene in PB almost had me jump out of my seat b/c of the nod to it in Requiem). Sad confession of the year is I haven't seen Black Swan (or Mother!) yet.... 

Oh, also, still have synchronic on my "to watch" list... I keep seeing it only for "buy" not rent and the part of me that knows I might legit hate is like ...."is is worth 9 bucks and 2 hrs of your life?" 

20 hours ago, zero said:

K good to know. I love Twin Peaks S3 so fine with convoluted, multi-viewings stuff... but it's good to know that going in. Sometimes you wanna watch Mulholland, sometimes ya wanna watch Batman V Superman (which, incidentally) I watched again over the weekend because I needed a break from studying. Extended cut is dope, but I'm also a bit of Snyder apologist)

1 hour ago, T3551ER said:

Oh, also, still have synchronic on my "to watch" list... I keep seeing it only for "buy" not rent and the part of me that knows I might legit hate is like ...."is is worth 9 bucks and 2 hrs of your life?"

i watched it 2 times... great disappointment... :cattears:

• Like 1

recently watched Lucky - Harry Dean Stanton's final film. oh man, haven't had a film get to me as much as this one did in a long time. I found it incredibly moving, despite it having very little in the way of a story. the closest comparison I can think is Lynch's The Straight Story, so if that one appealed to you, then definitely check out Lucky.

watching this made me more interested in Harry Dean Stanton, as he's one of those classic character actors that never found widespread success. from what I've read, seemed he was always just himself in every role, and just the same when not on camera.

love some of his quotes from his imdb page:

I've avoided the mainstream, I guess. Too much work. Regret is another form of suffering, which I'm not into. It's pointless. If I did regret, I'd have a lot of regrets, but ultimately you have to accept what you do and what happens. It doesn't matter. Whatever.

You get older. In the end, you end up accepting everything in your life - suffering, horror, love, loss, hate - all of it. It's all a movie anyway, the whole phantasmagoria - it's all meaningless. There is no answer to any of it ultimately. It's just what is. There is only the moment. Be still and see what happens. All of this unfolds perfectly. You've got to get beyond consciousness.

When you're deep asleep and not dreaming, where the fuck are you? There's total blackness, it's nothing, right? So I'm hoping that's what death is, that it's all gonna go. I don't want to deal with any consciousness afterward.

Edited by zero
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, zero said:

recently watched Lucky - Harry Dean Stanton's final film. oh man, haven't had a film get to me as much as this one did in a long time. I found it incredibly moving, despite it having very little in the way of a story. the closest comparison I can think is Lynch's The Straight Story, so if that one appealed to you, then definitely check out Lucky.

watching this made me more interested in Harry Dean Stanton, as he's one of those classic character actors that never found widespread success. from what I've read, seemed he was always just himself in every role, and just the same when not on camera.

love some of his quotes from his imdb page:

Loved The Straight Story. Definitely gonna give Lucky a watch now. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

Watched Samurai Cop the other day. One of the funniest movies I've seen and it's mostly unintentional.

If you haven't seen it then check this clip for high quality script writing, acting, camera work and editing:

The Matt Hannon (Joe Marshall aka Samurai Cop) two part interview by RedLetterMedia in YouTube is also interesting and funny.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 4:13 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve in a theatrical black comedy directed by Sidney Lumet... yes please. This movie was tons of fun.  

this was a true gem - thanks for the rec!

Also saw 'Knives Out' recently, after watching Deathtrap i'd say they took a few ideas

• Burger 1