On 5/30/2023 at 10:23 AM, T3551ER said:

Pretty great review of the new film here (spoilers abound, but I'm not sure it will actually makes a difference with a film like this): https://www.vox.com/culture/23733985/zone-interest-arendt-banality-review-canes-jonathan-glazer

Spoiler

The premise of this film intrigues me. Raul Hilberg is probably my favorite WWII historian. This film offers an interesting expansion on one of Hilberg's main preoccupations with WWII. The idea of "neighbors", locals who lived next to concentration camps, who witnessed their very existence, and likely the atrocities within. Taking that subject but applying it specifically to Rudolph Höss and his family. 

An amazing lecture Hilberg gave on this subject: 

• Like 1

The End of Violence, 1997

I kinda loved this one. It's like a weird noir about a movie producer who is kidnapped and a futuristic surveillance system run out of the Griffith Observatory to try to end violence in LA. Think of a cross between "Mulholland Drive," "Strange Days," "The Player," and maybe a soap opera. I watched the Siskel and Ebert review and they were pretty mixed. It ended up on Siskel's top 10 for the year list, but Ebert hated it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aderei said:

Just realised that the rebecca adaptation on netfux was directed by ben wheatley

he's been disappointing me very much lately but A Field in England will always have a special place in my heart...

rewatched kill list and damn... I loved it the 1st time but knowing how it ends kinda makes it pointless to watch again... except for the performance of the 2 main characters...

Happy New Year, Colin Burstead is also pretty good but I haven't seen watmm showing a lot of love for it...

Yeah, it's not very good at all. I see he's got the Meg 2 coming out shortly. Yowsers!

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Anyone else a fan of this one?

Fucking looooove this. Indelible memories from childhood watching it, but even as an adult the scene where he's ripping out the pages of the book and talking about age/time... man, powerful stuff. 

• Like 1

Smile. wasn't as dumb as I thought it'd be but still pretty dumb. the multiple fakeouts and jump scares got old quickly. it's well-executed and with a solid lead performance at least, so maybe still worth one watch.

edit: some goofy CG though, I lol'd hard when

Spoiler

Kumar pulled his face off

Edited by usagi

On 6/3/2023 at 7:55 AM, Pirtek said:

Across the Spider-verse. Insanely good!!!

On 6/3/2023 at 12:31 PM, Pirtek said:

Soundtrack is great as well. Daniel Pemberton has really outdone himself this time.

Doubly agreed I really enjoyed it and I have no doubt it'll raise the bar for future animation.

• Like 1

MV5BMWU0NjMxZGMtMjg5OC00Y2RiLThiMmEtYzYz

Quite good creepy folk horror with Reece Shearsmith (League of Gentlemen / Inside No.9).  Great psychedelic sequences in this one, and pretty great for a low budget filmed during covid thing in the woods. On Netflix.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iococoi said:

Creepy / Kurîpî: Itsuwari no rinjin
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4900708/

creepy != crappy

everybody praises Cure and Pulse but I also liked this one quite a lot:
hiroki-hasegawa1.jpg.fc9bb0c7670fedbdaf968b4e6a84b2b3.jpg

1 hour ago, Soloman Tump said:

MV5BMWU0NjMxZGMtMjg5OC00Y2RiLThiMmEtYzYz

Quite good creepy folk horror with Reece Shearsmith (League of Gentlemen / Inside No.9).  Great psychedelic sequences in this one, and pretty great for a low budget filmed during covid thing in the woods. On Netflix.  

I'm gonna give it a 3rd try...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched Evil Dead Rise, it was ok I guess, some nice visuals, but I thought the insults/one liners should have been more disgusting and over the top, to make the violence land more effectively. Like "groupie whore" or whatever is a bit tame compared to "your mother sucks cocks in hell" or something, you know?