I just watched 'Guest Of Cindy Sherman' about the American artist of the same name. It was pretty good.

I think keanu reeves and nebraska would enjoy this, (if they've not already seen it).

haven't seen it. will have to check it out. thnx for the recommendation

BOO!!!

MV5BMjI2MDg2NjE4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE4

I really liked this film and genuinely think she should have been showered in awards for her performance.

6eec4d05-8d3d-40b2-9bcd-75781dec2d07_big

didn't get this at all. it's basically that one chappelle show 'real world' episode in reverse, extended for 2 hours. i think as a skit this is great, but a film is... wait... is this where we are as a species? 

Just watched Logan, it was pretty good if a little tryhard. That's not unexpected for a 'comic book movie' but wasn't necessary here.

The thing I kept thinking was how there just aren't enough movies like that, where you're thrown in to the middle of a sci-fi/whatever type of situation but just follow some small part of it as it unfolds. It happens often enough in short fiction, but it works particularly well for movies too, imo. 

Just watched Logan, it was pretty good if a little tryhard. That's not unexpected for a 'comic book movie' but wasn't necessary here.

The thing I kept thinking was how there just aren't enough movies like that, where you're thrown in to the middle of a sci-fi/whatever type of situation but just follow some small part of it as it unfolds. It happens often enough in short fiction, but it works particularly well for movies too, imo

Yes, this film was very enjoyable because it didn't waste any time hand-holding the audience. And it didn't need to. 

6eec4d05-8d3d-40b2-9bcd-75781dec2d07_big

didn't get this at all. it's basically that one chappelle show 'real world' episode in reverse, extended for 2 hours. i think as a skit this is great, but a film is... wait... is this where we are as a species?

Agree. Saw last night. Well shot and edited but felt like a joke and wasn't scary in the least. Was it supposed to be funny or was I just unable to take it seriously enough?

Watched I, Daniel Blake and A Man Called Ove back to back. Had no idea what either film was about and it was kind of surprising how many similarities they had on plot/character levels, even though tonally they're very different. IDB was brutally simple but has had me thinking about it a lot since. I recommend.

the-man-from-planet-x-movie-poster-1951-

watched this last night: fantastic late-night science fiction. supposedly there's been a lot of confusion as to who played the alien. the filmmakers didn't credit the original actor because they wanted people to think it wasn't a real man in a suit; and none of the actors knew the name of the man under the suit.

either way, on the moors, and space craft lands and an alien comes out. a professor, his daughter, his assistant and a friend (from america) attempt to communicate with the alien- but it only makes low hum musical tones. then things go array until you gotta bring in scottland yard (who btw: i don't remember doing anything at all besides taking a report).

great low budget filmmaking at it's finest- you can tell they're on a very small soundstage so it's very limited how far they can go (or even where they can go).

eight short guys from planet x out of ten

JVDcQl1.jpg

why are most science fiction films horror films? anyhoo- this starts off really promising (with some gravity-esque cinematography) before devolving into an alien ripoff with scientist breaking all rules of science, logic and common sense to release an alien into their habitat. very cliche and predictable- right up to the point where someone dies and there's a closeup of the characters face as they settle into an accepting solace of their doom before they're quickly eaten

btw: how can the alien live in the vacuum of space but gets really cold when they turn off life support on the ship?

four alien jelly fish out of ten

JVDcQl1.jpg

why are most science fiction films horror films? anyhoo- this starts off really promising (with some gravity-esque cinematography) before devolving into an alien ripoff with scientist breaking all rules of science, logic and common sense to release an alien into their habitat. very cliche and predictable- right up to the point where someone dies and there's a closeup of the characters face as they settle into an accepting solace of their doom before they're quickly eaten

btw: how can the alien live in the vacuum of space but gets really cold when they turn off life support on the ship?

four alien jelly fish out of ten

Yeah I saw this today, the only thing I liked about it was the end, which I found really funny, Gyllenhaal's face of shock and disappointment... Was too funny. I must admit I wasn't expecting that much of a fkup, sure maybe there were hints pointing at that ending but, I didn't care to notice. That ending alone gets 4/5 rubber gloves, the acting in this though was so recycled, like straight out of interstellar or some other crap fest. Edited by sine nomine

Life - it had a big budget and an A-list cast but it could have been a mid-budget B-movie from the 80's, which is maybe why I enjoyed it. Not remotely original but I like space and I like squid monster things.

Spoiler - that Japanese actor now has two self-sacrificing deaths in space, who holds the record?

Watched Life as well, thought it was dumb, but ok.

The ending was a lol

Edited by Gocab

Don't Breathe - almost a perfectly constructed thriller; cinematography, color grading, tight pacing, driving music, disturbing tone, etc.  It just seemed to lose a little steam at the end. I thought a fitting ending would be the kid's security guard Dad was gonna be at the front door answering the silent alarm, and shoot his own son, it would have resonated more for me; irony, poetic justice, you know the drill.  Stephen Lang was great though an almost mute, unstoppable force of nature.

The Sum of All Fears - terrible Jack Ryan movie starring Batfleck, I'm told the book was totally different, and there were so many plot holes involving nuclear attack it was hilarious.

Umberto D. (1952), De Sica's best filem & rewards future viewings, its got so much fkn heart i dare any1 to watch it and not wanna cuddle up to a jack-russell. Not as earnest as other neo-realist works like Bicycle Thieves or Paisan but the better for it, twelfty jack russells/10

umberto-d.png