@Rubin Farr  Agreed. It just made me want to watch Goodfellas and The Departed again to cleanse my palate. 
It had some good moments but was SO SLOW. Additionally, seeing the digital aging on DeNiro and others while their bodies still move like 70-something-year-olds just doesn’t work. Seeing him do anything physical was weird. 

• Like 1

I truly cannot stand a single movie James Wan has been involved in. this latest one with the bastard doll is the stupidest looking one yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:20 PM, Nebraska said:

AAAABf9l7eDrkDW40yeLOJ_OVnvXJwqtRtwmDFBA

loved this. recommended

Sad story. I kinda felt like the doc was a bit sensationalistic tho.

Spoiler

The majority of people who are interviewed are media hacks who ALL wanted to cash in at the kid’s expense. I’m curious what his defense would have said if they were interviewed. Also, according to the second link I shared below this journalist claims the police and prosecution were a bit corrupt and they refused to give Kai a rape kit. It definitely felt like there was a bit left out in that part of the doc. I also felt that clip of him flexing his muscles in prison could have been taken out of context. 

His mom doesn’t exactly deny locking him in his room when he was a little kid. She is probably a monster. I have a toddler and I know little kids don’t like staying in their beds. That doesn’t mean she should lock him in his room. His friend’s account of the blankets on the windows was sus af. 

https://www.newsweek.com/hatchet-wielding-hitchhiker-kai-lawrence-trial-leave-out-joseph-galfy-death-1773631

also here’s some interesting stuff to chew on…

https://philfairbanks.com/tag/joseph-galfy/

https://gcadvocate.com/2022/06/18/kai-the-hitchhikers-seemingly-endless-quest-for-justice-amidst-union-county-corruption/

another interesting perspective 

https://www.cinemablend.com/streaming-news/netflixs-hatchet-wielding-hitchhiker-documentary-is-popular-but-many-viewers-are-upset-about-the-same-issue

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

The Last Unicorn. I watched it a long long long long time ago as a child and it gave me nightmares… the red bull… Definitely more of a mature film than you’d think. Lovely looking movie with a great fantastical vibe and lots of imagination. Still holds up thirty something years later for me and hit all the nostalgia buttons. I watched it on Prime Canada. 
image.jpeg.72b3920fca3a11aafccf43ed778c9dc3.jpeg

• Like 5

I watched a Japanese documentary called "Out of the Cradle" about prehistorical hominids and their evolutionary path to neanderthals and eventually humans. It has some realistic CGI created from the Square Enix studio, so may be worth a watch if you want to see what our ancestors may have looked. It's a relatively recent documentary from 2018, so I believe it covers all the latest theories about our development back during that time, with several species of hominidae that would eventually become neanderthals as well as humans, of who we share some genetic inheritance. Other than the imagery, they also go through some practical experiments involving building a rudimentary boat to test the idea of human migration overseas back then. I also liked the revelation of sewing needles and had not thought of how sophisticated they were to use such relatively refined tools. It must have taken much patience and skill to be able to shape them from bone and then to create clothing for the first time from animal hide, it's simply fascinating.

Edited by viscosity
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 3:45 PM, Nebraska said:

51lKYiL+opL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

classic skinemax late night affair with a slightly misleading cover (julia strain is only around for like 5 minutes) out of ten

Who got the Batmobile after she died?

spacer.png

absolutely incredible. you definitely need to be in the right frame of mind to watch this. like in a patient, reflective mood, not looking for something with easy to follow plot points or narrative. it jumps around a lot, but not entirely impossible to follow and make sense of. reminded me of a cross between Lynch and Terrence Malick in some parts. not hard to imagine that this film must have had some degree of influence on both those guys. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, zero said:

spacer.png

absolutely incredible. you definitely need to be in the right frame of mind to watch this. like in a patient, reflective mood, not looking for something with easy to follow plot points or narrative. it jumps around a lot, but not entirely impossible to follow and make sense of. reminded me of a cross between Lynch and Terrence Malick in some parts. not hard to imagine that this film must have had some degree of influence on both those guys. 

tarkovsky is the bomb. check solaris and stalker  if you liked that one 

told myself the other day I’d never buy a digital copy of a movie or a tv show yet at this moment I’m seriously considering it. It will be cheaper than buying used dvds over ebay which I think can be (maybe) sketchy…I’ve had bad experience with this in the past. And I’ll forever have this digital (itunes). 
Anyone here buying digital and it being part of your new norm?

• Like 1

fisher_king_1991_intl_original_film_art_

Saw this one a couple of days ago. Great acting, the actress who acts as the Jeff Bridges character's girlfriend here is pretty hot and nails it. The Robin Williams perky stuff is around also not a big fan of it but not over the place and controlled. Great film, Terry Gilliam's imaginery in a coherent level

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 3:25 PM, cruising for burgers said:

am I the only one that thinks that "glass onion" was atrocious? I really liked "knives out" though...

no. i didn't get passed the scene where they get to ed norton's house. it seemed more like a neighborhood theater play with a lot of insider jokes for very rich folks

On 1/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Who got the Batmobile after she died?

good question

On 1/19/2023 at 5:25 PM, cruising for burgers said:

am I the only one that thinks that "glass onion" was atrocious? I really liked "knives out" though...

Pretentious, preachy and I don't think it'll age well either. Could've been fun if it got rid of all the fluff and made the mystery an actual mystery that made sense within what was observable.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:43 PM, zero said:

spacer.png

i wish i could see this for the first time again; i was fascinated and melted into this narrative and visual poetry; it's a memory of a profound time in my life...

1 hour ago, cichlisuite said:

i wish i could see this for the first time again; i was fascinated and melted into this narrative and visual poetry; it's a memory of a profound time in my life...

profound is definitely the appropriate word for describing this film. the meditative quality of it certainly made an impact on me.

• Like 2

Finally got around to watching Trouble Every Day by Claire Denis as it's relevant to a podcast I've been doing.

Pretty much the most disturbing film I've ever seen in my life, and I'm really surprised this launched her career.

Trouble Every Day | Ad-Free and Uncut | SHUDDER

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 2:43 PM, zero said:

spacer.png

Ty for posting this (and all the other folks who chimed in about this one). Started watching it a couple of nights ago (apparently the whole movie - and I'm pretty sure it's actually the remastered version but a little difficult to tell b/c even the remaster is only 1080P) is on YouTube:

I'm sort of continuously blown away by both the cinematography and the direction. There are some shots here that I ... like, this MF was doing shit back in 1975 that people today wouldn't/couldn't/don't do. I'm only about a third through and there have been at least 3 sequences that just defy logic. Dude was a master, utterly incredible stuff. Looking forward to finishing this off when I have time. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

This was fantastic. Go figure, another highly entertaining Martin McDonagh flick. This one is as good, if not better than In Bruges in many ways… and it’s great to see Gleeson and Farrell back together again. They are both great in it.
Some trademark classy gore to boot. 
This one sticks with me. 

Spoiler

Highly relatable as we’ve all had a friend leave us or end a friendship, though this is fascinating because instead of being children, they are adults on an island with a very small population and the stakes are so high. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2023 at 12:59 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

This was fantastic. Go figure, another highly entertaining Martin McDonagh flick. This one is as good, if not better than In Bruges in many ways… and it’s great to see Gleeson and Farrell back together again. They are both great in it.
Some trademark classy gore to boot. 
This one sticks with me. 

Reveal hidden contents

Highly relatable as we’ve all had a friend leave us or end a friendship, though this is fascinating because instead of being children, they are adults on an island with a very small population and the stakes are so high. 

This was a really enjoyable watch. One of the better films I've seen in the last few years from a well-rounded (scenery, storyline, dialogue) and accessible point of view. It also has stuck with me some for perhaps the same reasons it might have for you, taking into consideration the "hidden contents" you've posted.

• Like 1