IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

Has your facebook wall/stream turned into shit lately? I don't use it Facebook, and fewer and fewer of my friends are using it. But when I occationally browse it, it gives me absolutely nothing that I actually care about. Right now the top "content" before any updates from friends is currently from

- Drug enforcement Cops (No idea what this is)

-A reel of someone eating.

-Zimbabwe News and Jokes (WTF)

-Heartland (No Idea what this is).

-Ad from Britbox TV

-OD Viral (some kind of meme generator I think)

-Power Rankings (some Tv shows meme thing).

I guess I should be happy, because this gives me absolutely no reason to check facebook, but I'm puzzled how the algorithms are not working AT ALL. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 7:37 AM, scumtron said:

Has your facebook wall/stream turned into shit lately? I don't use it Facebook, and fewer and fewer of my friends are using it. But when I occationally browse it, it gives me absolutely nothing that I actually care about. Right now the top "content" before any updates from friends is currently from

- Drug enforcement Cops (No idea what this is)

-A reel of someone eating.

-Zimbabwe News and Jokes (WTF)

-Heartland (No Idea what this is).

-Ad from Britbox TV

-OD Viral (some kind of meme generator I think)

-Power Rankings (some Tv shows meme thing).

I guess I should be happy, because this gives me absolutely no reason to check facebook, but I'm puzzled how the algorithms are not working AT ALL. 

Interesting, my FB ads are mostly white nationalist bullshit disguised as nerd culture; Star Wars, video games, etc, pedophilia hysteria, or anti-LGBTQ propaganda, and Jason Aldean. It’s sad they almost all used trigger words like “patriot” “America” “save the children”, and of course, toxic gym bro culture. Fuckerberg and Musk are really gonna cause chaos here next year in the Presidential election. 

• Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 8:18 AM, iococoi said:

I am a fan of these live gifts reaction videos 

this is art and it’s something really new nobody did before 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 2:14 AM, o00o said:

I am a fan of these live gifts reaction videos 

this is art and it’s something really new nobody did before 

There was some girl on here before (can't remember her user name because senility) who made YouTube videos with emojis/icons going down the screen very similar to what is seen in the live streams. Obviously not live, but clearly a predecessor. I didn't think it was art then and I don't think this is art now, but that's just me.

Threads...just another failed idea that will eventually get quietly swept under the rug:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/26/metas-twitter-like-threads-tries-to-grow-amid-rivalry-with-elon-musks-x.html

The Twitter clone now ranks near the bottom of the most popular social media platforms, ahead of only Tumblr, as measured by the number of U.S. users, according to Insider Intelligence’s first Threads forecast, published Tuesday.

This is more or less a soft announcement. Not worth starting a thread over I think. Anyway, I've been contemplating this for at least the past week or so, but...pretty sure this is going to be my last post, at least for a while.

That is to say, I plan to start an indefinite internet hermitage/sabbatical tomorrow. No FB, no YT, no Reddit, no X...not even WATMM. Nothing that involves public online interaction of any kind. It's reached the point where today's internet mainstream is becoming mentally untenable for me. And I need to withdraw just to clear my mind.

So it's down to basics - email, online banking & shopping, and news. And probably the occasional food recipe hunting. But that's it. That'll be the extent of my internet usage for the foreseeable future.

May the Dank Memes continue...with or without me. But I shall return one day.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ambermonk said:

This is more or less a soft announcement. Not worth starting a thread over I think. Anyway, I've been contemplating this for at least the past week or so, but...pretty sure this is going to be my last post, at least for a while.

That is to say, I plan to start an indefinite internet hermitage/sabbatical tomorrow. No FB, no YT, no Reddit, no X...not even WATMM. Nothing that involves public online interaction of any kind. It's reached the point where today's internet mainstream is becoming mentally untenable for me. And I need to withdraw just to clear my mind.

So it's down to basics - email, online banking & shopping, and news. And probably the occasional food recipe hunting. But that's it. That'll be the extent of my internet usage for the foreseeable future.

You will be missed! But this is a smart idea. I might not be far behind tbh. Good luck in your endeavours. 🍔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ambermonk said:

enjoy the hiatus. i think about it all the time. i hope it's peaceful and productive. here's one for the road. 

NpSHKsn.jpg

• Burger 1

I may of mentioned this a few months back but my fishing clubs now have private Facebook accounts which is very handy, so I fired up my old account (last post was on my wall was something like Facebook Is Witchcraft And Should Be Burned At The Stake!!!! and it was 2010/11) I have dipped my toe in the water a little, but to be honest I see it like I'm a Gremlin and sunlight. Keep away to be honest. I think it's just a weird place and makes me feel quite uncomfortable, almost anxiety inducing (and I never suffer really from anxiety). There's a couple of old friends who post up everything about their lives (and thought processes) who are trying to tempt me to the dark side. But I won't go there, I just don't need that shit in my life and filling my head up with noise. However I just say hello, a nice picture and a few short paragraphs as I don't wanna appear rude, even that creates a slight buzzy white noise in my head. I'm quite sure that a lot of the old Facebook mob don't post much anymore, I think the pandemic may of wiped their social media activity down a lot. I dunno. I keep away. Fishing chat with fellow anglers is fine though and I feel very comfortable doing that, but I stay out of heated debates which on rare occasions can erupt, though it always ends up pretty peaceful. 

If I feel some slight anxiety to the whole thing and I'm pretty anxiety proof what would it do to young kids or people not so immune? Scary stuff. 

Edited by beerwolf

I think I have reaccess the whole 'immune from anxiety' observation. When I use to post up all the beerwolf stuff, when I was high as a kite, drunk as a beast lord or dwelling in the comedown twilight zone of those two poles it was kind of amusing and I enjoyed having a character I could hide behind. But when sober and glimpsing it, it would be as amusing as chewing on glass. I kind of glad I left that all behind to be honest. The odd drunk post is fine, but acting like a fucking psycho and gibbering on about Goat Skull Clans and the limpet festooned dick of Fish Beast Man and his savage one man war against Estuary Dwelling UFO Lizard Men got a bit old. Or did it? 

14 hours ago, ambermonk said:

I feel this, (doom)scrolling through the social media platforms I frequent (instagram and reddit mostly, WATMM is a pub, doesnt count) now makes me physically upset, like that fist clenching meme. when this happens and its constantly happening tbh I just close the app./website and contemplate what just transpired. I don't want ads or algorithm shit stuffed down my conscious&subconscious mind palace throat like some animal in a drug testing facility.. we should all take a step back from this bullshit, messes with the brain💀 youll be missed ambermonk

• Thanks 2

for me Instagram was ok when I first replaced all friends with animals during the pandemic and now I replaced the animals with local DJs. So I only go to Instagram to find out about parties and small raves. reddit really went to shit after they removed the 3rd party apps so I rarely go there. Hacker News replaces reddit almost completely (best interface is hn.premii.com). for me its mostly news and tiktok that I spend too much time on. TikTok really has a 3rd sense how it guesses stuff you like and send you down rabbitholes but its not so negative as the other media platforms and even shows videos how to reduce social media consumption from time to time

Just now, o00o said:

for me Instagram was ok when I first replaced all friends with animals during the pandemic and now I replaced the animals with local DJs. So I only go to Instagram to find out about parties and small raves. reddit really went to shit after they removed the 3rd party apps so I rarely go there. Hacker News replaces reddit almost completely (best interface is hn.premii.com). for me its mostly news and tiktok that I spend too much time on. TikTok really has a 3rd sense how it guesses stuff you like and send you down rabbitholes but its not so negative as the other media platforms and even shows videos how to reduce social media consumption from time to time

it boggles my mind how you're into hacker news but then you partake in CCP funded tiktok madness :confuzzled: im getting old

On 9/28/2023 at 10:28 AM, chenGOD said:

There was some girl on here before (can't remember her user name because senility) who made YouTube videos with emojis/icons going down the screen very similar to what is seen in the live streams. Obviously not live, but clearly a predecessor. I didn't think it was art then and I don't think this is art now, but that's just me.

Petra

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, chronical said:

it boggles my mind how you're into hacker news but then you partake in CCP funded tiktok madness :confuzzled: im getting old

The TikTok algorithm can serve you pretty interesting and deep content if you train it correctly especially concerning mindfulness and psychological content. its not just people dancing. But yeah I am also interested in trends currently forming and tiktok is a great platform for this. 

1 hour ago, usagi said:

Petra

That's right. Didn't she sell of them in Japan for like $5k a pop or something? Or am I totally misremembering (entirely possible). Anyways. Fucking stupid bullshit. Almost as bad as NFTs.

1 hour ago, o00o said:

The TikTok algorithm can serve you pretty interesting and deep content if you train it correctly especially concerning mindfulness and psychological content. its not just people dancing. But yeah I am also interested in trends currently forming and tiktok is a great platform for this. 

I'm just of the opinion that tiktok should be something we actively disregard the use of but that's also a silly rabbit hole like not using plastic straws, and how different is it for me to use Instagram, not a whole lot, just feeding another social media maelstrom with my attention.. God what a mess the internet has become :catsupine:  

• Like 1