Yeah, ae are losing steam. What?!?

They're still amazing, just saying it's nice to have a younger dude with a lot of promise in the mix.

both ae and opn have expressed love for each other; fkn imagine if they did a release together. holy shizz.

They're still amazing, just saying it's nice to have a younger dude with a lot of promise in the mix.

both ae and opn have expressed love for each other; fkn imagine if they did a release together. holy shizz.

yeah that would be beyond incredible

sr six but youre comment is ridiculous . its like saying boards of canada are not that cool like skrillex anymore...

Hey now, let's not put words in my mouth. I stand by my comment, I absolutely love the AE boys and I thought Exai was really great, but the fact is they don't excite me as much as they used to. They are my all time favorite and I can't wait to see them live next week(!) but my tastes have changed a lot since my late teens. Didn't say they are losing steam, but let's face it, they're not getting any younger and this has been their longest gap between releases.

Boards of Canada's latest I got bored of very quickly. They haven't done anything great since Geogaddi imo, which is still one of my all time favorites. I never brought up Skrillex, who I'm not a fan of.

Point being, I don't see how it's brainless to be excited about newer talent while still appreciating groups I've liked for nearly 20 years. I've been on the forum since 2003 and don't post much any more because threads devolve into bickering and semantics more often than they used to. I'm just trying to spread the love for an album that's really resonating with me in what has been a less than thrilling year for me in terms of new music. Aside from the AFX soundcloud dump of course, I think we can all agree on that!

No hate, I still love all you guys, just I don't like having my words twisted when I was trying to express genuine excitement about something.

/rant

:cisfor:

Guest bitroast

i'm currently housesitting in the suburbs and I know if I download this I will just listen to it a lot and then every time I listen to it in the future it will remind me of the suburbs. gonna wait til I get back home to my friends and stuff. I know that seems really silly, probably OCD or something.

You May Also Be Interested In:

220px-Arcade_Fire_-_The_Suburbs.jpg

I'm hearing so many more recent artist's influences on this album, as opposed to previous ones where he was much more searching the past. But this album rocks. MODEY got his dethwave on the end SDFK. Extremely dynamic record, I would NOT show this to someone who had never heard OPN. I could understand maybe some people who like more experimental industrial metal would like parts of this, but OPN only uses those sounds as a palette to paint with.

but for real. show this to an OPN newb: I have no idea how they'd respond.

It is almost necessary to be aquainted with his material at least since replica to understand WTF you are listening to.

To me it make sense and there are new elements added. The average listener may be overwhelmed...

i can't wait to listen to this on CD after legally purchasing it with money that i earned at my job because i am a productive member of society and a patron of the arts

lol.

It is almost necessary to be aquainted with his material at least since replica to understand WTF you are listening to.

To me it make sense and there are new elements added. The average listener may be overwhelmed...

I don't think his stuff is aimed at the people who listen to Calvin Harris.

I don't think his stuff is aimed at the people who listen to Calvin Harris.

lol indeed but its i think its even weird for people used to experimental stuff.

also going to buy this for sure, you hear me Lopatin !

The average listener may be overwhelmed...

maybe, but honestly this is probably one of the most well blended dense 'experimental' and also very pop-friendly vibes to come out in a while. The experimental aspect of it isn't forced in in a cartoonish 'look how weird we are wooooo!' fashion like Animal Collective or Bjork. I think anybody who has a passing interest in weirder music (who doesn't exclusively listen to goth or dark stuff, because this album is not anywhere near what a black metal fan would like) would probably be able to handle it, not to say they'd like it.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

This particular album reminds me of when I was 7 or 8 when I was constantly watching AMVs and gameplays of bullet hell shooters on Youtube....

fuck that sentence makes me feel old.

yep this record has exceeded expectations for me, absolutely love it. Dan really knows how to nail a concept album

Edited by varius

First listen was too overwhelming to be honest, really not what I expected and some bits rubbed me the wrong way*. Instantly loved Ezra though. Listening to it for the second time now, listening it track by track, in random order (my way of processing it all) and it feels like it's a completely different album. There's so much going on in this, it's insane. This will definitely need a few more spins but I'm impressed!

Love the different opinions on here / in chatmm about this album too, everybody seems to be getting something very different out of it which is a very good sign imo.

*Normal procedure for me towards OPN's stuff. Took a long time just to not be annoyed at the artist name, let alone the music. It sure paid off though :)

this album is not anywhere near what a black metal fan would like.

photo-2656.gif?_r=1420220645

Dunno, fellas. I am distinctly unenthused. OPN's stuff through Replica is largely solid & interesting. I found R Plus Seven rather spotty, but overall not bad. This one, on the other hand, isn't doing it for me at all. There aren't even many of those redeeming "split second of lush" moments. FWIW, I've given it three goes with healthy breaks in between.

The last three tracks are definitely the best of the lot, but frankly by that point I'm sick of it.

The average listener may be overwhelmed...

maybe, but honestly this is probably one of the most well blended dense 'experimental' and also very pop-friendly vibes to come out in a while. The experimental aspect of it isn't forced in in a cartoonish 'look how weird we are wooooo!' fashion like Animal Collective or Bjork. I think anybody who has a passing interest in weirder music (who doesn't exclusively listen to goth or dark stuff, because this album is not anywhere near what a black metal fan would like) would probably be able to handle it, not to say they'd like it.

a stoned skrillex -via- metalcore fan would probably dig "Sticky Drama"

"Animals" I suppose is enjoyable enough, maybe could appeal as a ballad-ish thing

other than that...the non linearity of the tracks, the start/stop, non-reliance on consistent meter, intense dynamic changes, those methods just aren't present in a lot of electronic music.

Yep this is great. Someone described it perfectly earlier in the thread with the moody parts coming through the maelstrom like sunshine or whatever. Very playful, interesting to listen to and builds up tension as well. The small moment in Sticky Drama at 3:26 to 3:32 is goosebumpy when the synth melody comes in