IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

I've never liked much of anything OPN has done 

Are you sure you're allowed to say that buddy? 

I was crucified for those sentiments, just a forewarning. 

I shit on Eno in another thread, I ain't afraid of nothing. A Clockwork Orange sucks too. Who wants to fight?  :cat:

Thing is I think what OPN is doing is interesting at times, just not something I personally connect with. Maybe that'll change at some point or with a new release or whatever, but I don't think he's trash or anything. Kinda presented as more about hype and tons of pseudo ironic motifs and meanings at times? But I ain't judging. Just not for me generally, but I always try to keep an ear to the ground, ya know?

No way jose, you're not allowed to criticize OPN here my man. 

I've never liked much of anything OPN has done

Why ?

i´m really curious cause he is in my all time fav top 5 list.

ah fk i just saw you gave somehow a response above ,allready.

Edited by Kavinsky

The teaser video sounded cool, the cover art looked cool, the black snow song and video suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

Agreed, was really disappointed when hearing the song and the video is just awful.

R Plus Seven was amazing.

Edited by Time Tourist

Good track, excellent video

i wonder if the video is a reaction to all those articles that, after avicii's death, heralded him as 'the mozart of electronic music'

probably not

BUT MAYBE IT IS

probably not tho

BUT MAYBE

I'm trying to resist a plane ticket to his performance/installation in New York for this.

I was initially unsure if I was going to hop along to the London show, having seen the Lopatin man a handful of times, but I knew I'd regret it if I skipped the chance to get my face and ears ripped off by a 'concert-scape' level of OPN. Having been there watching him and Nate Boyce doing a sitdown AV show to less than a hundred people several years back to what he's up to now is rad. Fingers crossed for something special!

I'm trying to resist a plane ticket to his performance/installation in New York for this.

I was initially unsure if I was going to hop along to the London show, having seen the Lopatin man a handful of times, but I knew I'd regret it if I skipped the chance to get my face and ears ripped off by a 'concert-scape' level of OPN. Having been there watching him and Nate Boyce doing a sitdown AV show to less than a hundred people several years back to what he's up to now is rad. Fingers crossed for something special!

Oh damn there is a London show? Might have to find the time to get along to that

Oh damn there is a London show? Might have to find the time to get along to that

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2018/event/oneohtrix-point-never-myriad

You best shake a leg, v. few tix left

ooh thanks, I could only find a couple of dates in May that I can't do, July is perfect

not liking opn at this point is kinda silly. the song is great.
no, compare to what he's doing here at 3:20 this song is garbage in compassion and hopefully a pisstake 

edit: imho
Edited by MIXL2

Nothing at all what I expected. I really dig it. I like the vocals too. Someone in the comments said he might be going for a deconstructed hip hop sort of thing, which would be rad imo. Definitely on-board. Will likely pre-order too (Partly because I DO want a shirt with EXCESS BONDAGE written on it.)

danger4rqio.jpg

This is the writing to be used on signs for a nuclear waste site in New Mexico after they block up the caves for good. A whole bunch of multi-disciplinary scientists basically needed to figure out a way to make it clear the waste is incredibly dangerous to civilizations thousands of years in the future who may not have any concept of radiation, symbols and languages we use.

Nice little write up on the project here https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

Didn't know about this! Raycats is another track on the album, so here's the source for that too

Ah good catch!

I'm pretty sure one of the lyrics also twists the chorus to "a wave of black holes" as well, possibly a reference to one of the architectural ideas to ward people away from the area:

"Black Hole": A masonry slab, either of black Basalt rock,or black-dyed concrete, is an image of an enormous black hole; an immense nothing; a void; land removed from use with nothing left behind; a useless place. It both looks uninhabitable and unfarmable, and it is, for it is exceedingly hot part of the year. Its blackness absorbs the desert's high sun-heat load and radiates it back. It is a massive effort to make a place that is fearful, ugly, and uncomfortable.

Though the YT details says the lyrics are inspired by the Cybernetic Culture Research Unit which is a fucking wiki hole in of itself.

you gotta hand it to 0PN for doing his homework in terms of concept and references, probably the most relevant aspect of his work to compare to BoC IMO

Nothing at all what I expected. I really dig it. I like the vocals too. Someone in the comments said he might be going for a deconstructed hip hop sort of thing, which would be rad imo. Definitely on-board. Will likely pre-order too (Partly because I DO want a shirt with EXCESS BONDAGE written on it.)

danger4rqio.jpg

This is the writing to be used on signs for a nuclear waste site in New Mexico after they block up the caves for good. A whole bunch of multi-disciplinary scientists basically needed to figure out a way to make it clear the waste is incredibly dangerous to civilizations thousands of years in the future who may not have any concept of radiation, symbols and languages we use.

Nice little write up on the project here https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

Didn't know about this! Raycats is another track on the album, so here's the source for that too

Ah good catch!

I'm pretty sure one of the lyrics also twists the chorus to "a wave of black holes" as well, possibly a reference to one of the architectural ideas to ward people away from the area:

"Black Hole": A masonry slab, either of black Basalt rock,or black-dyed concrete, is an image of an enormous black hole; an immense nothing; a void; land removed from use with nothing left behind; a useless place. It both looks uninhabitable and unfarmable, and it is, for it is exceedingly hot part of the year. Its blackness absorbs the desert's high sun-heat load and radiates it back. It is a massive effort to make a place that is fearful, ugly, and uncomfortable.

Though the YT details says the lyrics are inspired by the Cybernetic Culture Research Unit which is a fucking wiki hole in of itself.

you gotta hand it to 0PN for doing his homework in terms of concept and references, probably the most relevant aspect of his work to compare to BoC IMO

watch bocs next album being a mumble rap album aswell

I listened last night and I was kind of distracted and it sounded mind-shatteringly mundane

still like it ok, still also unmoved by it

I feel this way about a shitload of hyped electronic music though - there's a lot of homogenized mediocrity, especially from artists who were previously putting out amazing progressive / unique stuff. It's almost like an Abilene Paradox where the artists and their peers, the fans, and the journalists all seem to refuse to say "maybe this isn't that good" 

too early to say this about Age of, could be a fluke single

watch bocs next album being a mumble rap album aswell

dead on

Edited by joshuatx