IGNORED

Plaid - Polymer

fumi

First time through:

* Quite a bit darker than previous Plaid albums, which tended to be more consistently light and airy (though this one, too, has its moments, such as the last third of "Drowned Sea" and, of course, "Dancers")

* Much more synthetic than previous Plaid albums.

* Tracks strike me as a bit repetitive.

* Dancers is the obvious standout track here. It, too, is a bit repetitive, unfortunately. "Nurula" is pretty, too.

* "Recall" makes much more sense in context. It still is a very un-Plaid-like track, though.

* Second half of the album is better, or at least more immediately accessible, than the first.

* The production quality is impeccable.

I'm not a Plaid expert but this seems one of the best things they've ever done imo. Musical magic to my happy ears.

Edited by beer badger

Halfway through and I'm quite enjoying it. Thanks @ambergonk for reminding me about it. I have a feeling that the acoustic-type stuff is not going to age well to my ears; I've decided that Cristobal Tapia de Veer simply executes that same type of juxtaposition (which Plaid has done on basically all of their releases) much better for my tastes. Otherwise this is rather good and arrives right when I'm looking for some new tunes.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

I've decided that Cristobal Tapia de Veer simply executes that same type of juxtaposition (which Plaid has done on basically all of their releases) much better for my tastes. Otherwise this is rather good and arrives right when I'm looking for some new tunes.

Thanks for the heads up. Really interesting artist. He also did some Black Mirror soundtracks and his utopia release sounds a lot like plaid 

7 hours ago, o00o said:

Thanks for the heads up. Really interesting artist. He also did some Black Mirror soundtracks and his utopia release sounds a lot like plaid 

Absolutely! He did one of the episodes of Amazon's PKD Electric Dreams, too, (the one w/ Steve Buscemi). Utopia is what got me into him, this piece in particular has become essential to me:

31 minutes ago, marcjday said:

Already having 'negative post' regret. . .  .  

Sigh.. . . 

LET IT GOOOOO ! LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

It’s ok dude. You are allowed to not like the new Plaid album.

• Like 2

First spin and I'm liking this one a lot. Definite step up from digging remedy I reckon, I'd put it up there with reachy prints for later-era plaid.

As others have mentioned, production on this is absolutely top notch, can't wait to play it on some decent speakers.

I'm very happy and thankful Plaid are still making albums and I generally really like their style. This album is good, perhaps the most interesting to me of the last few - but am I the only one who has sometimes wishes for more of a build up/development in tracks, since and including Scintilli? From that album on, it seems they have generally been deliberately going for a more filtered, minimal sound (I've heard them say that in interviews), but it means even with a favourite track from those albums (like, say, CLOCK from The Digging Remedy) I'm kind of left wanting more at the end. Like - oh, it's over already? I guess that's a good thing, and I understand people might prefer something more stripped back and to-the-point, but what can I say...'Spokes' is my favourite Plaid album, which has these epic, dark, glorious tracks that really go places. But I know that that's not generally their most popular release (to me it still sounds amazing and has only got better with age and in contrast to most new electronic albums.) And I'm not saying everything from the last few albums has that 'issue' - Wallet from Reachy Prints, for example, has a subtle but glorious build and is one of the most beautifully structured electronic tracks I've ever heard.

The tracks that resonate the most at the moment on Polymer are Ops, Drowned Sea, and Dancers. Probably Los and The Pale Moth too. Most of the other tracks have a great sound palette (the production on here is their best since Spokes imo) and will hopefully grow on me but seem a bit simpler/ linear/repetitive or don't give the pay-off I crave. Even the tracks I do love, I sometimes want more from. But this opinion will probably change with time.     

Edited by Lianne

1 hour ago, marcjday said:

It's this kind of titbit. . . .

“Plaid continue to push the envelope for expansive electronic music” - Future Music 9/10

That makes me want to write down what I think about the album - what I think about most Plaid stuff.
But it's all subjective isn't it. ..  it doesn't really matter.
It's not like I've got some weird feelings all piling up waiting for some kind of release.
It's just good to chat, share points of view. . . maybe not negative ones though - no need no need.

But man.. . .   twiddly twiddly twiddly mindless blah blah. Cold limited lonely audio palette yikes.

Yeah - I saw Bjork down rough trade. . . didn't we all. . ..   drops kebab - moving on moving on.

[Wipes a tear // / //  immediately plays Bytes, Temple of Transparent Balls, Parasight, Spanners back to back then good new things by new people]

Don't regret posting negative stuff mate. Just don't turn into a evil mastermind Dr Lopez type character. Watmm has enough space for one of those only (though maybe I could be proved wrong)

The thought of all of us holding hands, smiling in tranquil union is rather disturbing tbh. Bring the wrath!!

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 9:42 PM, chameleonday said:

Listened through Fii0 K1 DAC and Bose headphones. The low end on the whole thing just beats, smacks, and is unrelenting. The trademark sparkling melodies are there, as always.

After several listens now, I find it fascinating how Plaid are able to continue to create interesting and relevant productions in this age of overstimulation. Track 12, Crown Shy is quintessential Plaid, and is wonderfully uplifting. 

2 hours ago, marcjday said:

2 hours ago, marcjday said:

“Plaid continue to push the envelope for expansive electronic music” - Future Music 9/10

Oh come on ... what does that make Rest Proof Clockwork, then? 15/10?

Bonkers.

Plaid are so good, and I'm once again knocked back five steps with this stunner. Fuckin' A. 

---

Responding some things I've seen above: 

Numbers makes it objective and real. 

That's why the following statement: 

"Numbers are the most idiotic way to approach appreciating any aesthetic experience" 

is an 8/10.  (-2 for inefficient, bland writing style)

Edited by apriorion