IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

7 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

So I guess they’re protesting in support of death?

Simpletons! Yes, yes! I'm a simpleton! Are you a simpleton? We'll build a town and we'll name it Simple Town, because by then all the smart bastards that caused all this, they'll be dead! Simpletons! Let's go! This ought to show 'em! Anybody here not a simpleton? Get the bastard, if there is!

On 3/3/2021 at 3:05 AM, dingformung said:

They will send out swarms of AI controlled drones who measure the antibody profile of every biological organism around them and automatically annihilate everyone who has received a bio marker by the government disguised as a Covid-19 vaccination

drones would be an effective way to vaccinate everyone

Edited by very honest
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, luke viia said:

Simpletons! Yes, yes! I'm a simpleton! Are you a simpleton? We'll build a town and we'll name it Simple Town, because by then all the smart bastards that caused all this, they'll be dead! Simpletons! Let's go! This ought to show 'em! Anybody here not a simpleton? Get the bastard, if there is!

The world’s most concerning coronavirus variant so far, P1, was born in Brazil. According to virologist Julian Tang, of the University of Leicester, this strain has the potential to infect vaccinated individuals and lead to mutations that are even more resistant to antibodies.

https://www.xapuri.info/politica/bolsonaros-policies-are-causing-brazil-to-become-a-factory-for-superpotent-covid-19-variants-say-scientists/

• Facepalm 1

Some data.

Percentage of Population Fully Vaccinated (2 doses) against Covid-19 per Country so far:
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
1731792184_2021-03-09-World-MapofPercentageofPopulationwithFullCovid-19Vaccinations.png.7efee76dee7f7b161f98f81db795287d.png
1668836737_2021-03-09-World-ListofCountrieswithPercentageofPopulationwithFullCovid-19Vaccinations.thumb.png.75747b00218a24ec9901288d68ff523a.png
* I'm looking at full vaccinations (2 doses) here. Not 1 dose vaccinations, nor cumulative vaccinations.
It seems like Israel is doing extremely well. (42.7%) Their percentage is way far above anyone else. I have no idea how. It's kind of crazy. Sadly, their neighboring countries have a way lower percentage. I hope Israel helps them out.
United Arab Emirates and Bahrain are also doing great. No idea if this includes immigrants and guest workers. I hope they help them out as well.
The United States is actually also doing very well. (9.2%) Congrats. Good Job.
Europe seems to be averaging around 2% to 4% it seems. It's Ok I guess, but I expected better. Slow but steady maybe?
Sadly, the average around the World is only at 0.9%.
India seems to be lagging behind at 0.3%.
And there are a lot of poor countries only at 0.1% or even 0%.
No data on China. We can only hope they're doing good.

Covid-19 Vaccine Efficacy so far:
49265203_2021-03-09-VaccineEfficacysofar.thumb.png.412260ead43db9f551759c409ea1013d.png
[...It is not straightforward to compare the efficacies of the different vaccines because the trials were run with different populations, geographies, and variants of the virus. In the case of COVID‑19, a vaccine efficacy of 67% may be enough to slow the pandemic, but this assumes that the vaccine confers sterilizing immunity, which is necessary to prevent transmission. Vaccine efficacy reflects disease prevention, a poor indicator of transmissibility of SARS‑CoV‑2 since asymptomatic people can be highly infectious. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) set a cutoff of 50% as the efficacy required to approve a COVID‑19 vaccine. Aiming for a realistic population vaccination coverage rate of 75%, and depending on the actual basic reproduction number, the necessary effectiveness of a COVID-19 vaccine is expected to be at least 70% to prevent an epidemic and at least 80% to extinguish it without further measures, such as social distancing...]
I hadn't really thought about it, but if a country vaccinates its population with a vaccine with low efficacy the epidemic in their country might just linger on.

Anyway, it seems like most countries around the world are making preparations to open up once again.
I wonder how high the percentage of fully vaccinations should be for it to be deemed safe as a country to open up once again.
How high is the mathematical scientific threshold?

Let's hope for the best. Thumbs Up.

• Like 3

US is doing surprisingly well, indeed.

Indonesia is also not pulling punches. They're requiring everyone with a public facing job to be vaccinated or risk a fine that's about the average monthly wage.

Interestingly enough they're doing it with the Sinovac vaccine that China itself doesn't have enough of. Apparently China thinks using it for diplomatic reasons is more important than inoculating its own population.

There has been delays for vaccines in Europe and some countries have underutilized the AstraZeneca vaccine even when they have it in storage. But EU might soon approve the Johnson&Johnson vaccine. Some decision on it is going to be made on this week Thursday. Also Sputnik V is going through the approval process in EU so it might be available soon.

The China situation seems pretty murky. The vaccine has been available for a while now, but to my knowledge not many people are taking it even if they are eligible. Doesn't help that Sinovac has been in vaccine related scandals before..

Of the modern industrialized countries Japan is absolutely fucked with their stupid vaccine policies so who knows when things are going to get better there.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, toaoaoad said:

This really freaks me out. People talk about "when this is over" but we could be very, very far from it with shit like this

the 'variants' are mostly just fear mongering at this point. are they real? yes. are they going to extend the pandemic into next year? no.

florida has the highest percentage of cases of B117 variant, and is one of the least restricted states, and their numbers are dropping just as much as every other state for months now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mister miller said:

the 'variants' are mostly just fear mongering at this point. are they real? yes. are they going to extend the pandemic into next year? no.

florida has the highest percentage of cases of B117 variant, and is one of the least restricted states, and their numbers are dropping just as much as every other state for months now.

the reduction in infections has apparently plateaued in many places. it's spring break so florida will be packed w/kids for better or worse for like a month.  we'll see how it goes. spring break is not exactly a time when people make good decisions. miami's mayor has already said in the press "please don't come and if you do wear a mask and be responsible".. ha. good luck. 

the vaccine is having big impact though. no doubt. and the USA is vaccinating millions of people every day now so that's really good. i haven't checked the number of daily deaths in a while. last i looked it was still about 1500 a day. 

got the 1st dose of the pfizer vaccine yesterday at a local pharmacy. arm is sore. for a bout 3 hours after the jab i had that "head cold and on a plane" type feeling. minor body aches and a bit of drowsiness. but after about 3 hours i felt fine.  

2nd dose is 4 weeks. 

cancer made me eligible. they have a form to sign and a list of things and you check the one that makes you eligible.. even though i went through all that prior to making the appointment. i guess they double down on it for whatever reason. 

didn't take long at all. appointments were well spaced and people were steadily checking in for their appointment while i was there. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

For some reason covid-19 infections and hospital admissions are slowly rising again in Belgium...
Recently, both my uncle and his wife have been admitted in hospital for covid-19.
Their age could be a bit of a risk. I hope they'll get better.
My gf is/was really looking forward to being allowed to go to work again in the month of May.
(she's a waitress in bar for beer enthusiasts)
But if the numbers keep rising I can't imagine the government will allow bars to open again in May.

• Sad 2

Time is an illusion at this point.

I guess the worst part is getting your hopes up that the thing is over in a few months and then it just keeps continuing or gets worse. But there's not much else to do than wait and come up with some distractions meanwhile and for example not check the daily case numbers every day.