IGNORED

Burial - Chemz

fumi

Love it. 90s rave breaks/garagey...sloppy as fuck mixing on the vox. Does need something to make the bins rattle though. Not a woodblock in sight!

Where the fuck is Dolphinz btw? Though Think its just going to be dark minimal ambient style jobby which I do enjoy from him but doesn't excite as much as his other stuff.   

• 4 weeks later...

Actually quite like this...have a feeling many won't though! Not my fav style from him but it's kinda what I was expecting, though the literal vocal samples were a bit of a suprise! 

Edited by kirm

• 2 weeks later...

Oh good - this 'release' does have its own post - that I can just UNLOAD my bile into.

This is terrible. Terrible.

I'm so bored of the music websites raving on about Burial releases - like some kind of kneejerk mindscripting - mindless vaccinated kidz who have been youtubed into questioning their own biological identity will instabuy, die their hair and move in a giant shifting rainbow shoal of fear.

It's been a very very long time since he released anything of any worth - and this is pure dullfuckery.

Dolphinz.

Jesus. I've done it - I've listened to it...  never again. I should have known from the title.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Feeling a bit iffy on the fact that they waited half a year to give us an ambient track, but on first listen it sounds really good! Might be one of his best ambient pieces so far.

Yeah I love it..defo one of my fav ambient bits by him, but then again maybe I'm just a mindless vaccinated kid questioning my biological identity blah blah (fair enough marcjday not liking it but what was that rant about ?)

Edited by kirm
  • Haha 1

I hear you marcjday. He releases his annual almost decent X-mas track, and then let people wait seven months for the b-side. And it's a half-assed nine minute dolphin/whale noise ambient track with vocals about dolphins from a nature documentary or something. The last five years I've been listening to his releases thinking "Ok, it's not good, but not...THAT bad?" But then I listen to his 2006-2012 output and it's just something completely different. 

One of his best ambient pieces? Come on guys. He has a handful of ambient pieces and none of them are particularly good. 

• Like 1

Or...

Bereneces - Anunaki EP

Lazarus - Downwards EP

Ghost Warrior - Meet At Infinity

Dogpatrol - SNKRX06

Walton - Unknown Territories

I quite like both sides of this, but as is the case with everything he's put out in the past ten years, none of it feels strong enough to be a single. I listen to Tunes 2011-2019 way more than I ever did any of the 12"s that made it up (other than Street Halo and Kindred), so I'm probably just going to wait until we get another Tunes compilation, or maybe just grab the digital and make my own playlist of his recent non-album stuff.

Temple Sleeper
Rodent
Rodent, Kode9 Remix
Pre Dawn
Indoors
Chemz
Dark Gethsemane
Space Cadet
Dolphinz

The sort of patchwork / collage feel means even the weaker tracks are more enjoyable when heard as part of a longer thing.

Edited by purlieu
  • Like 2

Well good news that Dolphinz is not as cheesy as Chemz but phew is it dull.

Some extra points I guess for a) sampling what I'm sure is an old Dr Who noise (definitely sounds like Tom Baker rooting around a quarry with K9) , and b) Having the flat-out weirdest release schedule for a 12" ever.

I say bravo, bravissimo, to burial for doing something differently this time and the marine biologist’s track is different, not only to his previous work but quite original too! I mean, how many ppl would make it that way, really? Not many imo! So the originality with being actually at least ‘good enough’ in terms of impressiveness and expressiveness is what makes me feel glad it exists

• Like 1

Like what you like but....

Man this is depressing

a lot of you guy's tunes here deserve more attention then this guy has.

Not even gonna waste my time listening 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Like what you like but....

Man this is depressing

a lot of you guy's tunes here deserve more attention then this guy has.

Not even gonna waste my time listening 

PREACH

The sad thing is, he's just a guy knocking out some tunes at home, so I can't be too cynical about him. He got bored of the garage sound and has expanded his approach to include his love of rave and ambient music, and he's clearly not as good at either as he was at doing his own moody 2-step thing. I like the intimate lo-fi approach he brings to those styles and they kind of remind me of stuff that comes out on tiny tape labels. Away from the hype, his music's fine, a bit hit-and-miss, but idiosyncratic enough that it would always attract some listeners. Coming out as pointless 12"s on Hyperdub and being hyped to high heavens by Boomkat and Pitchfork does the tracks no favours, because people are looking for genius where it isn't present.

I don't know whether he just likes to put stuff out when he's made a couple of tracks, or whether Hyperdub have persuaded him to release stuff as singles because they're more profitable, or what, but it's hard not to think of this stuff being the bare bones of some decent - if not quite Untrue-standard - albums.

Imagine this, a third album released in spring 2012:
Street Halo
NYC
Stolen Dog
Lindred
Loner
Ashtray Wasp 0:00 - 7:31
Ashtray Wasp 7:32 - 11:45 

A fourth album in early 2014:
Rival Dealer 0:00 - 5:15
Rival Dealer 5:16 - 7:29
Rival Dealer 7:30 - 10:43
Truant 0:00 - 3:54
Truant 3:55 - 8:29
Truant 8:30 - 11:46
Hiders
Rough Sleeper 0:00 - 3:51
Rough Sleeper 3:52 - 9:57
Rough Sleeper 9:58 - 13:48
Come Down to Us 0:00 - 6:45
Come Down to us 6:46 - 13:07

Fifth album, summer 2019:
Temple Sleeper
Beachfires (edited)
Rodent
State Forest (edited)
Pre Dawn (edited)
Subtemple (edited)
Young Death
Indoors (edited)
Nightmarket (edited)
Claustro

None of them would be Untrue standard, but there also wouldn't be any sense of "is that it?" when he puts out nine minutes of good material spread over a 17 minute 12" that you don't return to that often. I'd be much happier with a Burial bringing out fun 50 minute albums of strong if not exceptional material every few years, rather than spending £35 a year on four tracks that don't work on their own. An edited version of Chemz, the first five minutes of Dark Gethsemane, the last three of Space Cadet and a two-and-a-half minute edit of Dolphinz could form the start of album six, rather than being four overlong tracks that cost more than an album would.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...