IGNORED

Hudson Mohawke - Cry Sugar

thumbass

This is pretty bangin' start to finish. The gospel/rap/R&B/soul injections are bad as hell and it can get really emotive at times. I put the record on and fired up flight simulator to unwind. I happened to be executing a buttery landing when "Stump" came on and there was suddenly a real majesty to the proceedings. Anyway, worth the price of admission. It's probably my favorite thing he's done. 

• Like 1

idk at least on first listen this didn't do a whole lot for me but it might be a grower!!!!

(this is not my first Hudson Mohawke project ive heard those 3 tapes back in 2020 as they came out, revisited them before this and they really do hold up, except for 100HM idk why but I genuinely hate that song I deleted it off my version since)

Had a listen last night. Hud Mo can really hit the spot for me, but more often he misses. So like with this new one, I can listen to a dozen tracks but only like a couple, but they will be killer, so it’s worth my time. Think I’m gonna have to play this a few more times before I wrap my head around it. Because it’s bonkers lol. 

Edited by beerwolf

This is definitely better than Lantern which was an absolute shitshow. It's so full of energy and he does something different with every track. Great stuff. Love the guys crazyness

On 8/13/2022 at 5:15 AM, beerwolf said:

Had a listen last night. Hud Mo can really hit the spot for me, but more often he misses. So like with this new one, I can listen to a dozen tracks but only like a couple, but they will be killer, so it’s worth my time. Think I’m gonna have to play this a few more times before I wrap my head around it. Because it’s bonkers lol. 

this is pretty much how i feel about it. 25% of the record is pure brilliance but the rest is very iffy. i reckon there are a few growers in there though, so i'll stick with it.

Have not liked one release of his after Butter, and this is now in that boat.  Can't vibe with the spastic rave / trance / techno vibes.  Never liked that stuff back in the day and definitely don't like it now.  Prime Hudmo to me was Polyfolk Dance EP, he made some real bangers back then.  Shout out to Rustie as well.

There's one thing you can't deny about Hudmo though, he's got a great ear and is super creative.  This might not be for me but keep it going man.

Edited by lyst
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, lyst said:

Have not liked one release of his after Butter, and this is now in that boat.  Can't vibe with the spastic rave / trance / techno vibes.  Never liked that stuff back in the day and definitely don't like it now.  Prime Hudmo to me was Polyfolk Dance EP, he made some real bangers back then.  Shout out to Rustie as well.

There's one thing you can't deny about Hudmo though, he's got a great ear and is super creative.  This might not be for me but keep it going man.

Yes, polyfolk dance, hudson's heeters,  Ooops!, butter and even Satin Panthers = TopTier hudmo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never apologize for your taste or feelings, Hugh. You gotta understand that 0pn going in the pond or this one not tickling your fancy are where memes and good threads are born. I miss the days of fighting over records like when Monolith's "Welcome" had 60 pages of debate. We just quietly consoom these days and a spirited take gets met with a lone Farnsworth

Edited by xxx
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

2 hours ago, xxx said:

Never apologize for your taste or feelings, Hugh. You gotta understand that 0pn going in the pond or this one not tickling your fancy are where memes and good threads are born. I miss the days of fighting over records like when Monolith's "Welcome" had 60 pages of debate. We just quietly consoom these days and a spirited take gets met with a lone Farnsworth

Awe haha I can't believe anyone remembers that lol. Alas I don't live near a pond anymore and thus cannot conveniently frisbee poop records whilst ignorantly disturbing the local flora and fauna like days past.

Agree with the sentiment, hot takes are too hot these days, many feel immediately burned and online it seems like the defenses are always up. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 6:25 PM, xxx said:

Yeah, the reactions have ultimately degraded the back-n-forth that the forum once had. I am guilty of clicking them as anyone.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 5:15 AM, beerwolf said:

Completely agree some tracks on this I really love and some I really hate. One of which being Ingle Nook Slumber - Amazing little ambient track that one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like other have said have found hud mo very hit & miss in the past & held off listening to this but pleased I finally did cause this is very much hit for me! Is all over the place but somehow works as a bonkers cohesive whole! Love it