oscillik

The whole film is better than the original unless you have nostalgia goggles on

:tongue:

You could -smell- the original though - sulphur, cigarette smoke, steam, rain, hot noodles, owl feathers. 2049 is gorgeous and probably overall better but it don't got that dank.

I love both.

this new one connects better with people today, for obvious reasons. the most interesting aspect of it to contrast with the original is that the new replicants have completely opposite design philosophies to the older models, i.e. they're engineered to have as flat an emotional affect as possible rather than aiming for something paralleling that of born humans (the baseline test itself contrasts 100% with the Voight-Kampff, and the fact that Gosling wrote it raises my appreciation even more). K is the poster boy for today's ironic suicide/nihilism memes.

edit: another praiseworthy addition to the themes of the original is how much more sharply it focuses on social alienation and class division than the original.

I like what Villeneuve did with it, he had the balls and the vision and the talent to take it somewhere different while fully respecting the original. it's a remarkable achievement imo.

Edited by usagi

this new one connects better with people today, for obvious reasons. the most interesting aspect of it to contrast with the original is that the new replicants have completely opposite design philosophies to the older models, i.e. they're engineered to have as flat an emotional affect as possible rather than aiming for something paralleling that of born humans (the baseline test itself contrasts 100% with the Voight-Kampff, and the fact that Gosling wrote it raises my appreciation even more). K is the poster boy for today's ironic suicide/nihilism memes.

edit: another praiseworthy addition to the themes of the original is how much more sharply it focuses on social alienation and class division than the original.

I like what Villeneuve did with it, he had the balls and the vision and the talent to take it somewhere different while fully respecting the original. it's a remarkable achievement imo.

Yeah, this is all spot-on.

The main positive of the movie was the introduction of an entirely new class if supposedly artificial beings - AI holograms and the philosophical problems surrounding them such as the mass production of identical minds, determinism of programming versus freedom etc.

BR1 = Humans + Replicants

BR2 = Humans + Replicants + AI

If they didn't add AI this movie wouldn't have been nearly as good.  Can't wait to get on blu ray

Edited by Zeffolia

The whole film is better than the original unless you have nostalgia goggles on 

:tongue: 

it really is though... the whole world was expanded on, and it's like people forget the first one had some REALLY cringey subplots

there's a part in this movie where ryan gosling just disappears, one frame he's there the next he isn't. it's when he's in the elvis hologram room in vegas. weird edit.

please watch my 20 min fan theory vid explaining this

there's a part in this movie where ryan gosling just disappears, one frame he's there the next he isn't. it's when he's in the elvis hologram room in vegas. weird edit.

please watch my 20 min fan theory vid explaining this

and subscribe to my feed thx

I get  get it, I don't. Its supposed to be set in 2049? This to me looks like a hundred years from now or more. Flying cars (again). Robots that are totally human seeming. 31 years from now?  I greatly doubt it. 

Unless Im missing something. Does 2049 mean something else?

Edited by marf

I get  get it, I don't. Its supposed to be set in 2049? This to me looks like a hundred years from now or more. Flying cars (again). Robots that are totally human seeming. 31 years from now?  I greatly doubt it. 

Unless Im missing something. Does 2049 mean something else?

The original Blade Runner was set in 2019.

I don't think the Blade Runner films were ever meant to be on a realistic and equivalent timeline...

only movie i really loved by Villeneuve was Enemy.

Incendies tries to shock you in such a facepalm way, Prisoners ends up like a scooby doo episode with everything explained in a wrap up, and now in 2049 i felt like there's no depth in the villains, and the end was pretty bland, i mean, 1 minute spaceships chase, 1 laser shot that kills 30 seconds to mars vocalist and then a really boring fight... the twist was also pretty meh...

Polytechnique and Maelstrom were ok i guess...

oh and Sicario, lol, 1 guy??? i mean... 1 guy? like? chuck norris??? :facepalm:

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Im kind of amazed they pulled together miniature artists. I thought it was a dead art form in film. Bring back stop motion. also, Loved the sound of the cars in the film. Never would have thought it would be a subwoofer in a ford suv rattling jewelry and tin cans but why not. 

Edited by marf

Im kind of amazed they pulled together miniature artists. I thought it was a dead art form in film. Bring back stop motion. also, Loved the sound of the cars in the film. Never would have thought it would be a subwoofer in a ford suv rattling jewelry and tin cans but why not. 

The new Close Encounters of the Third Kind coffee table book has some amazing behind-the-scenes shots of how they did the miniatures for the mother ship, etc:

https://www.amazon.com/Close-Encounters-Third-Kind-Ultimate/dp/0062692992