IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

watched stranger things. Something is missing in this show. It has all the ingredients to be really good, but something just makes it a chore to watch. Bad directors? The editing? Something in the pacing is off. I have no idea what it is, but its something

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marf said:

watched stranger things. Something is missing in this show. It has all the ingredients to be really good, but something just makes it a chore to watch. Bad directors? The editing? Something in the pacing is off. I have no idea what it is, but its something

yeah I feel that as well. it want to be a movie but does not get to the intensity of a cinematic experience. So you have a mishmash of tv show and cinematic movie which feels off. I have the same with full feature movies made for netflix. they feel weirdly off 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 12:16 AM, lyst said:

The Sandman.  I'm surprised they didn't replace the lead character with a black trans pansexual paraplegic.  

Joking aside, it's alright.  Gets pretty boring at times though.

rly hate having to admit to be in that camp, but yeah: the wokeness levels do feel awfully forced to me, too, especially since the original was quite progressive anyway. not that it hurts the source material but... i mean... why? only saw first episode so far but i'm also not sure about some of the changes and additions... like... again... why? on the other hand i missed the individual fates of ppl suffering from "sleep sickness". music n dream world sets bit run of the mill, where's the psychedelic vibe?

ah well, not giving up on it yet. performances were solid and morpheus is cast quite well imo. didn't come even close to the comic tho.

Episode 6 really nailed the feeling of the comic imo, which would be issues #8 & 13.
Also, how taking the opposite approach to Alan Moore, helped Gaiman retain more control over the Endless, and avoided what happened to Watchmen:

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/06/how-neil-gaiman-kept-control-of-the-sandman-characters/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Episode 6 really nailed the feeling of the comic imo, which would be issues #8 & 13.

As much as I think the series is poor, and unnecessary, I won't be so curmudgeonly to deny that ep 6 was a great episode. It does capture the comics well, and Kirby Howell-Baptiste was great as death. 

• Like 1

Girlfriend got me into What We Do in the Shadows which I'm enjoying at the moment.

Also enjoying Better Call Saul and also rewatching Trailer Park Boy for the 4th time. Watched the first season of The Walking Dead 2 years ago and might start that after Better Call Saul is done.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 7:15 AM, marf said:

Yeah I absolutely can’t stand it. Should be right up my street but it’s nothing but. Managed to finish the first season but decided to bin it for good after first episode of the Second Season. On Pitchfork the other week they were talking about Master of Puppets being included in the new shows. Curiosity got the better of me and I watched the clip. As expected, it was just cheesy garbage. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 1:33 PM, beerwolf said:

Was surprised that Bush didn’t get too much aggro. Though it’s easy to blame nu-metal bands for the carnage, I’m sure it was just as much the inhumane conditions the kids were put in which sent things South. And they were getting robbed in broad daylight just for a bottle of water. I think I’d go stir crazy if you put me in a treeless field in 100 degree heat and a never ending supply of drugs. It was a perfect storm. The promoters weren’t interested in the Woodstock dream they were just interested in making loads money and were completely out of touch with reality. Apart from the sexual assault situation, I would say the destruction of the place was almost justified. 

Yeah, felt sorry for that Bush lead singer guy, he looked like a lamb for the slaughter walking onto that stage, totally dazed! It's sad how it ended up being the total antithesis of Woodstock 69, which totally had its share of logistical problems etc. But still, those peaceful clips used really hit hard when juxtapositioned with the almost demonic expressions of leering nu metal kids. But apparently it took a concrete monstrosity of an army base and rock n' roll fuelled madness for the air headed Mike Lang to realize it wasn't the 1960s anymore. Should have heeded the unbreaking bottle. And John Scher, who came off as a total caricature of the immoral, bald faced lying capitalist, was all too happy to come along for the ride.

For what it's worth though these kids had a once in a lifetime slice of pure rock n' roll chaos in all it's crazed glory, and it did kind of look like a blast at times. If 1969 marked the end of hippie culture, then maybe Woodstock 1999 was the end of rock culture as it had been throughout the 1990s. 

• Like 1

One clip on the Woodstock show did made me laugh. When the dude who was in charge of the rave area said something like

There's 100,000 drunk and high Limp Bizkit fans.... and they are all heading my way

Yeah great. Not. Flol.

If you're interested there's a documentary called Metal Evolution (which is actually really good) and the Nu Metal episode (each film is dedicated to a different genre of metal) the film maker actually talks to Fred Durst about it. My recollection isn't great but I'm sure Mr Durst comes across quite well in it, quite humble and regretful about the whole thing. Even if he feels like all the blame was unfairly directed at him and his band. The RHCP playing Hendrix's Fire while the place was starting to burn seemed far more irresponsible imo.

Edited by beerwolf

Sandman, Westworld S4, The Umbrella Academy S3, and Locke & Key S3. Sandman was more than good enough, but I still prefer the comics; Westworld is still good, but I'm waiting for the end. The Umbrella Academy is still weird and good, looking forward to the last season; Locke & Key wasn't up to par with the rest, but nice enough to watch to the finale.

• Like 1

Black Bird on Apple tv is good. Elton John gets locked up for drug and weapons trafficking, but if he can befriend and snitch on serial killer the feds will let him out. 

Watched the first episode of Sandman which I liked. The season preview looks awful, as did the trailer - hopefully that is just bad trailering.

Edited by Enthusiast

Locke and Key Season 3.  Not bad.  Season 1 was special but they were unable to replicate that in other seasons.  The lore is still pretty awesome though - makes me want to maybe get into the graphic novels.

Not saying that they phoned it in this season but... It feels like they phoned in this season lol.  Only a few episodes in though so we shall see.

Edited by lyst

One thing about Stranger Things. Millie is obviously jockying to be famous but the actual person with star power, and I hate nepotism, is Ethan Hawkes daughter.

• Thanks 1

81G-UWITL7L._SY445_.jpg

swank 60s spy comedy type featuring a go-go team of pop tarts from the era in an avengers inspired series. occasionally they'll ran into a bunch of goons behaving like their in west side story, but the proper culprits are hell bent on taking over the world (starting with tokyo of course). 

this is all pre charlie's angels and wouldn't come into perfection until playgirl took over ditching the silly yé-yé inspired look for something slightly more elegant

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 1

Been zipping back through Narcos Mexico while padding through the last season of Better Call Saul. Just into the second season, hah and everything just goes into fifth gear. It’s a great show even second time round. Though third season is a waste of time. So should finish both Better Call Saul and Narcos at the same time. Then I’ll be looking for something new. Been thinking about Twin Peaks, yep I’ve never watched it! That’s blasphemy right? 

3 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Been zipping back through Narcos Mexico while padding through the last season of Better Call Saul. Just into the second season, hah and everything just goes into fifth gear. It’s a great show even second time round. Though third season is a waste of time. So should finish both Better Call Saul and Narcos at the same time. Then I’ll be looking for something new. Been thinking about Twin Peaks, yep I’ve never watched it! That’s blasphemy right? 

spacer.png

Have you watched Haunting of Hill House yet? Helluva show. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

Have you watched Haunting of Hill House yet? Helluva show. 

Did try it and watched about five episodes but didn’t get on with it. If I remember the first one was ultra spooky but then each episode after seemed a bit naff. Funny I’ve been recommended it by a few friends who have good taste but it didn’t work for me. Sometimes it can be the frame of mind we’re in when we watch something? Same as music. Maybe I’ll try again.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Burger 1

Just started s3 of six feet under 

Spoiler

ffs that last episode of season two was killing. And now Nate is just gone like that. How are the rest of the seasons going to be any good without him ?

8 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Did try it and watched about five episodes but didn’t get on with it. If I remember the first one was ultra spooky but then each episode after seemed a bit naff. Funny I’ve been recommended it by a few friends who have good taste but it didn’t work for me. Sometimes it can be the frame of mind we’re in when we watch something? Same as music. Maybe I’ll try again.

nahhh it's pretty lame you got that right...

@J3FF3R00?

• Haha 1