IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Finally getting back to Miles Morales after playing tons of Astro's Playroom. Sackboy is pretty fun as well.

Should I pick up Demon Souls if I haven't played any of those games except like 20 minutes of Bloodbourne?

17 hours ago, Braintree said:

Anyone have thoughts on Hades? Bastion was a lot of fun and I hear this one is good. Hopefully it comes to xbox marketplace as my computer probably won't run it.

No thoughts as I haven't played it or heard of it until now, but thank you for posting as it looks awesome. Art style looks great, levelling looks interesting, and it's fairly long (20hrs main campaign, 90hrs for all the secrets/endgame stuff according to a google search). 

I think I might just pick this up soon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Braintree said:

Anyone have thoughts on Hades? Bastion was a lot of fun and I hear this one is good. Hopefully it comes to xbox marketplace as my computer probably won't run it.

It's really good and hard to put down. It was only €20 on Switch at launch which is a steal. 

• Like 2

wow I hadn't realized xbox game pass on PC was this good - lots of games available that I'd been meaning to check out, and very cheap. really glad I gave this a try

• Like 1

Just dusted off my Valve Index for the first time in over three months and played a bit of Boneworks. Controls are slightly less polished/more awkward than those of HL: Alyx so far and therefore has a little steeper learning curve, but I'm willing to venture further with patience.

Also just bought Titanfall 2 for about $10 on a Steam sale and am downloading/installing as I type this. I'll be 4 years late to the party, but from what I can tell review-wise it's received nothing short of outstanding ovation. Not fond of EA as a publisher, but it's a risk I'll have to accept.

Yeah, Hades is phenomenal - up to a point. Even though it's gorgeous, very well made, has tons of content, tons of permutations, it ultimatelly is series of 2-hour games with more or less the same course of happenings. I know this is a design choice of rogue-likes and Hades is definitelly the best rogue-like I played, but after I finally came to the last boss, I stopped playing. I will probably come back to it, since the combat system is so enjoyable, but the grind wears you down.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, ambermonke said:

Prodeus (early access) user maps

Duskers (at night - need to buy a light-up keyboard so I can play in full darkness)

Synthetik (why is this game so addictive)

I'm thinking about getting back into NES & SNES emulators too. Recommendations welcome.

Go with an FPGA versus an emulator if you want something more akin to actual hardware.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:40 PM, Boxus said:

wow I hadn't realized xbox game pass on PC was this good - lots of games available that I'd been meaning to check out, and very cheap. really glad I gave this a try

Sony better get their shit together otherwise Microsoft will overtake them without having a console!

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 10:27 AM, DavieAddison said:

Finally getting back to Miles Morales after playing tons of Astro's Playroom. Sackboy is pretty fun as well.

Should I pick up Demon Souls if I haven't played any of those games except like 20 minutes of Bloodbourne?

Absolutely yes!

20 hours ago, Berk said:

I just started death stranding and I have the feeling I'm going to love this shit

If you wanted to be a Amazon deliveryman...

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

Absolutely yes!

If you wanted to be a Amazon deliveryman...

Lol. Seriously though I feel because of the "boring" work you get to do, you have more headroom to enjoy the visuals and music. The formula works for me so far. Maybe because of its novelty right now, but I have a feeling this is a quality game. You know that feeling when you start a game or movie and you know 2 seconds in, it's gonna be quality no matter what direction it will go.

I think it also came out at the right time. Even though it's an apocalyptic horror kind of setting, the pace in the gameplay is pretty slow. I love that actually. Just like I loved the slow pace in rdr2. It's a welcome change to all the stimuli overload going on IRL. 

16 hours ago, Berk said:

Lol. Seriously though I feel because of the "boring" work you get to do, you have more headroom to enjoy the visuals and music. The formula works for me so far. Maybe because of its novelty right now, but I have a feeling this is a quality game. You know that feeling when you start a game or movie and you know 2 seconds in, it's gonna be quality no matter what direction it will go.

I think it also came out at the right time. Even though it's an apocalyptic horror kind of setting, the pace in the gameplay is pretty slow. I love that actually. Just like I loved the slow pace in rdr2. It's a welcome change to all the stimuli overload going on IRL. 

Agreed - I really enjoyed playing it up to a point - I may need to go back and revisit it if I ever get a damn PS5 and use the extra shiny visuals and framerate to encourage me picking it up again.

What I personally found tedious is (and I might not be playing the game right) is the inventory management, and slogging over the countryside with way too much you need to carry, only to be attacked and then having to laboriously pick stuff up, etc. it just really put me off the game after a point.

I do agree with you about the pace and being able to enjoy the environment/world/visuals - they are excellent and I can see the world realistically being like this in a potential future scenario.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 1:40 PM, Boxus said:

It really is pretty dang good. I originally signed up for day-one access to The Outer Worlds, but since then have enjoyed some Wolfenstein New Order & New Colossus, Alan Wake, Shadow of War, Sea of Thieves, Observation, Tacoma, Void Bastards, Red Strings Club, The Messenger, A Plague Tale, Metro 2033 Redux, Rage 2, Vampyr, Streets of Rage 4... (not that I finished them all, but still, $5/month? Worth it.)

Doom Eternal just got added too :sup:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, luke viia said:

It really is pretty dang good. I originally signed up for day-one access to The Outer Worlds, but since then have enjoyed some Wolfenstein New Order & New Colossus, Alan Wake, Shadow of War, Sea of Thieves, Observation, Tacoma, Void Bastards, Red Strings Club, The Messenger, A Plague Tale, Metro 2033 Redux, Rage 2, Vampyr, Streets of Rage 4... (not that I finished them all, but still, $5/month? Worth it.)

Doom Eternal just got added too :sup:

Here it's $9.99/month / € 9,99/month.
Still a good deal imo.

Star Wars: Dark Forces...playing a game that's almost 26 years old on the same PC I played Doom Eternal and HL: Alyx on.

Seeing an official remake of this would be a dream come true. But now that Disney own the rights...

(EDIT: Had to make some minor tweaks to DOSBox to improve resolution and performance. If legal circumstances were different, there probably wouldn't be this lazy DOSBox port in the first place. But there is no other option.)

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 2

Black_&_White_Coverart.pngBlack_&_White_2_Coverart.png

Replaying Black & White (2001) and Black & White 2 (2005) with gf.
Both God-Simulation / Creature-Training / Strategy-Management Games.
Made by Lionhead Studios. (Peter Molyneux)
Both games are considered abandonware these days. Cant's buy them anywhere any more.
Miraculously they both still work under a modern OS with modern hardware.

Black & White (2001)
The first game has some cool hidden artificial intelligence for your Creature and the People on the Islands.
What's also quite interesting is that it has very little UI / HUD / Menus making the game all the more mysterious.
However this also makes training your Creature quite hard. It often seems to have a will of its own.

Black & White 2 (2005)
The second game has more base-building and real-time-strategy. Also more menus.
It's more visually pleasing though. Maybe somewhat more user-friendly.
Though it lacks a certain mystique the first game possessed.

Black & White 3
Someone really should buy the rights and remake/remaster them both... or make Black & White 3...
I had an idea they could implement to make things more interesting, interactive and modern-day:
A hidden moral/ethics system which would secretly position you in a Sphere (with the axis: x,y,z = lawful<>chaotic, good<>evil, collective<>individual) according to your own actions as a Demi-God and your judgements on the actions made by your Followers and your Creature. (you can: approve, disapprove, or be-neutral-to their actions, by: rewarding, punishing, or ignoring)
Your dynamic position in this Sphere would then influence:
 - The way your Buildings, your Creature and the Environment look visually. (already in B&W 2)
 - The way you as a Demi-God yourself look visually. (also add some sort of Character-Creation)
 - What actions your Creature will (not) perform more likely and with how much efficiency. (~training) (already in B&W)
 - What actions your Followers will (not) perform more likely and with how much efficiency. (~guiding)
 - What Buildings you can (not) build and with how much efficiency.
 - What Technology you can (not) research and with how much efficiency. (tech-tree)
 - What Miracles you can (not) perform and with how much efficiency. (sense of power)
 - To which Council of Demi-Gods (other Players) you belong, and your position within it. (somewhat hidden)
 - Your direct relation with other Demi-Gods (other Players) (a new important integrated multiplayer-aspect)
      - Opposite Demi-Gods & Councils might invade you! (~like the invasions from Dark Souls)
      - Like-Minded Demi-Gods & Councils might come help build your civilization and/or fend of invaders. (co-op)
 - Your direct relation with The One True God, a mystical rare hard-to-understand omnipresent omnipotent being. (AI)
      - If you oppose it: it might haunt you and become your worst nightmare! (you better run)
      - If you please it: it might silently reward you. (its' a mystery, you never knew it was there all along)

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 2

Just finished Dark Forces on hardest difficulty on all missions - no cheats, no super shield. Can't believe how far I've come since first playing it back in 1995.

Cyberpunk 2077 is preloaded now. First time playing Gunfire Reborn (basically a roguelike Borderlands from Honk Kong) in the meantime while waiting for launch.

Edited by ambermonke

Finally beat DOOM 2016 and I didn't realize I hadn't upgraded any of the weapons through the main menu until the final boss. That was on ultra violence, but I may do another run on nightmare or ultranightmare to find everything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Braintree said:

Finally beat DOOM 2016 and I didn't realize I hadn't upgraded any of the weapons through the main menu until the final boss. That was on ultra violence, but I may do another run on nightmare or ultranightmare to find everything.

lol nice. I'll bet that adds to the challenge. I'd like to play again for sure, but some time next year. I haven't played the Doom Eternal DLC yet either.

8 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

yeah so cyberpunk's supposed to be buggy af. who would've thought?

So I heard. Game's installed on my PC and pretty much ready to go. But I wonder if it's better to wait til CDPR put out a patch update for it first. Plus I have to wake up early again tomorrow. Ten years ago I probably would've jumped right in the moment I got home from work. Age does that I guess.

Supposedly the game basically lives up to the hype, but the current bugs prevent it from being a masterpiece.

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 1

There's a deal for the stadia not sure if it's NL only: 60 euros for the stadia controller, cyberpunk & a chromecast ultra.

Sort of tempted because we use the chromecast a lot for watching tv anyway. 

spacer.png

So Cyberpunk 2077 released today.
Haven't bought it yet, although I really loved The Witcher 3.
It scores 91% from 50 Critic Reviews on Metacritic so far, praising atmosphere, visuals, and side-quests. No user reviews yet.
It has 72% positive user reviews on Steam so far, with most complaints about bad optimisation and bugs.
If you don't have a recent high-end graphics card the game probably won't play very smoothly.
Guess it might be better to wait another month or longer for patches improving optimisation and fixing bugs.
Playing it on Geforce Now or Google Stadia becomes rather tempting now.

Edited by MaartenVC
changed praise for story to side-quests