2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

[In fabric]

this film reminded me a lot of looking at the argos catalogue back in the day- a lot of very beautiful shots of women in clothes- women in department stores and horroerotic music. strickland obviously has spent time researching his moments on particular blog sites for this one. not sure if it fully came together though as the concept is rather daft and it begins to resemble a film challenge more than anything else- but the countess bathory looking dame was worth the time.

Saw a trailer for it this weekend. Even if it turns out to be poorly done, the concept is cool enough to be worth my time, I expect (see also: Rubber, a movie about a car tire going on a serial killing spree). Will definitely watch when it comes out.

5 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Saw a trailer for it this weekend. Even if it turns out to be poorly done, the concept is cool enough to be worth my time, I expect (see also: Rubber, a movie about a car tire going on a serial killing spree). Will definitely watch when it comes out.

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

in-fabric-poster-xl_thumb.jpg

this film reminded me a lot of looking at the argos catalogue back in the day- a lot of very beautiful shots of women in clothes- women in department stores and horroerotic music. strickland obviously has spent time researching his moments on particular blog sites for this one. not sure if it fully came together though as the concept is rather daft and it begins to resemble a film challenge more than anything else- but the countess bathory looking dame was worth the time.

Yeah it was fun as hell in the cinema. They had the sound cranked so the noise parts were intense. A bit too long agreed. My fave part was the guy droning technical details, and the little twist on that setup when the other men respond to it like a drug. Second Strickland film with Adam Bohman cameos too ❤️

another masterpiece by Sion Sono, an android who doesn't understand the concept of the formula v=d/t delivers packages to humans throughout the galaxy... although the sepia tones are a bit of a throw off at the beginning, the exceptional photography definitely makes up for it... really slow burning and chill movie, makes you melt into wherever you're sitting it...

The Whispering Star Poster

don't quite remember how i stumbled into this, if it was because of Vincent Gallo or Vitalic's ost but i'm glad i did... the law uses religion as a mean to reach the masses trough djing, beautiful b/w photography all around and Vitalic delivers some pretty wild tunes on the decks...

The Legend of Kaspar Hauser Poster

went into this with high expectations an got out pretty disappointed... rather forgetful...

Hagazussa Poster

don't know if this is considered bollywood just cause it's an Indian movie but as it turns out it was really good... a vocalist from a band who makes street performances is accused of being responsible for the suicide of a sewer's worker... the soundtrack is great and the movie grabs you by the heart...

Court Poster

Edited by Tim_J

On 8/10/2019 at 3:23 AM, tec said:

‘Night is Short, Walk on Girl’ - My girlfriend was in the mood for an animated film so I frantically searched for something half interesting before she settled on some Pixar shit. Aside from the love interest being a stalker this was genuinely funny, quite odd, and the style of drawing was cool. Recommend.

make sure you watch the series where it's based on... and if you haven't watched any of Masaaki Yuasa movies, just do! he's the creator of the anime masterpiece Mind Game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

make sure you watch the series where it's based on... and if you haven't watched any of Masaaki Yuasa movies, just do! he's the creator of the anime masterpiece Mind Game!

Will check out Mind Game, cheers, if you have any other tips I would be thankful. I watched Enter the Anime on Netflix last night in the hope of finding some gems but I wanted to murder the annoying host and practically every pompous animator she interviewed.

9 hours ago, tec said:

Will check out Mind Game, cheers, if you have any other tips I would be thankful. I watched Enter the Anime on Netflix last night in the hope of finding some gems but I wanted to murder the annoying host and practically every pompous animator she interviewed.

well, for starters you should check out the anime thread... anyway here's some of my favorite movies, i'm not posting any series... dunno if you're looking for them... some of these are pretty obvious and you might have already watched them...

AkiraKenji Miyazawa's Night on the Galactic RailroadPerfect BlueTekkonkinkreetRedlineCat SoupGhost in the ShellGenius Party BeyondGenius PartySpirited Away

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Tim_J said:

well, for starters you should check out the anime thread... anyway here's some of my favorite movies, i'm not posting any series... dunno if you're looking for them... some of these are pretty obvious and you might have already watched them...

AkiraKenji Miyazawa's Night on the Galactic RailroadPerfect BlueTekkonkinkreetRedlineCat SoupGhost in the ShellGenius Party BeyondGenius PartySpirited Away

Thanks, I’ve seen what are considered classics so seen most of those. Named a chicken Campanella after night on the galactic railroad, but a few are new to me and will check them out. Cheers again. I didn’t know we had an anime thread.

Sergei Loznitsa's "Maidan" about the Maiden square protests and subsequent squashing in Kiev. Loznitsa's documentaries typically consist of archival footage brilliantly arranged to give context ("The Event", "The Trial", "Blokade", "State Funeral", etc.). However some of his newer work, including "Maidan" (and "Victory Day") actually have Loznitsa behind the camera. And just like his fiction films, the work is all the better for it.

Documentaries typically have an aim to bring the viewer closer to the experience, or even try to bring a "you are there" type perspective. However, most fail miserably in achieving these goals (including good documentaries, Lav Diaz's "Storm Children Book 1" immediately springs to mind). "Maidan" is a rare exception, imo. Between the lack of narration, very little spatial awareness amidst the chaos, and ominous fatalism that captures every moment of this conflict, even in its earnest and optimistic beginnings. 

Highly recommended, along with literally anything else Loznitsa's done.

10 minutes ago, Gocab said:

There was an hateful eight mini series on Netflix?!

It's just the original film cut into 'episodes' and is an extended cut as well. Not near 4 hours though, that is crazy. Really cool idea. Think H8ful 8 miniseries was about 3 hours long as a cut.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

220px-The_Field_Guide_To_Evil_Official_R

great idea- terrible execution. firstly, none of these are particularly interesting (except maybe the story from turkey)- and none are scary. the story from .us is, to put it mildly, a mess. the rest range from great production design to interesting photography and acting. 

overall this was boring

columbus - i guess if you like ambient, architecture and symmetry this movie is for you, the script is quite shallow but visually it's stylish as hell...

18 hours ago, Nebraska said:

220px-The_Field_Guide_To_Evil_Official_R

great idea- terrible execution. firstly, none of these are particularly interesting (except maybe the story from turkey)- and none are scary. the story from .us is, to put it mildly, a mess. the rest range from great production design to interesting photography and acting. 

overall this was boring

well, there's so many interesting names in the director and writing department that i'm gonna watch it anyway... thanks for bringing it up!

Edited by Tim_J

Saw the new It Chapter 2 movie today. 

What was I thinking???

I hated the first chapter and expected this one would be better because it had a few decent actors in it. This was no different. The tone was confused, the story was muddled (despite having a book to follow) and the new scripted dialogue was atrocious. 

If you liked chapter one, you will probably like this one. I obviously didn’t like either. 

I definitely liked the made for tv miniseries way better than both of the new films. 

9 hours ago, marf said:

Finally watched The Thing 1982. Have to watch that a few more times. The old effects are still the best

i love that movie. beginning to end. the opening w/the big synth sounds and that bass. it's so focused and that beginning is all drama. classic stuff. and fucking diabeetus wilford brimley

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

i love that movie. beginning to end. the opening w/the big synth sounds and that bass. it's so focused and that beginning is all drama. classic stuff. and fucking diabeetus wilford brimley

One of the movies I've def seen in double if not triple figures. Along with They Live, Videodrome and Gummo

• Like 1

17 hours ago, marf said:

Finally watched The Thing 1982. Have to watch that a few more times. The old effects are still the best

Love that movie. 

On 9/4/2019 at 5:44 PM, Tim_J said:

Great stuff by Masaaki Yuasa:

- Ping Pong the Animation

- Kaiba

- The Tatami Galaxy & the Movie: Night Is Short, Walk on Girl

- Mind Game

On 8/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, eryngi said:

51oR3PqZFBL._SX940_.jpg

watched Embrace of the Serpent the other night. i loved every minute of it.. seriously captivating film.

Love that movie.

Edited by MaartenVC

8 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Saw the new It Chapter 2 movie today. 

What was I thinking???

I hated the first chapter and expected this one would be better because it had a few decent actors in it. This was no different. The tone was confused, the story was muddled (despite having a book to follow) and the new scripted dialogue was atrocious. 

If you liked chapter one, you will probably like this one. I obviously didn’t like either. 

I definitely liked the made for tv miniseries way better than both of the new films. 

Is it still just a bunch of loud noises?

915wtLk5u4L._SY445_.jpg

this is the best film i've seen all year, and i don't think that's going to change. ab-so-fucking-lutely mindblowing

51SGQfMIUvL.jpg

this was a real trip. it's like fantasia- meets who framed roger rabbit- with a jim crow twist. oddly enough- bakshi made this film because he was tired of the hero worship attributed to mafia characters and their elevation in society as folk heroes. he throws a lot of things together and someone it doesn't fully work- but it's such a mad explosion of ideas, colors and music- it becomes something very surreal. birds of paradise has a similar message- just in a more subtle and involved manner.